Newb to the TES construction set, need help
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Newb to the TES construction set, need help

I'm using the built in tutorials right now, and so far I am really confused. I am using static objects to build my test dungeon, but nothing is working. I am very confused. It looks like some of my objects are higher than others. And another problem, what angle am I looking at this? Am I looking from a birds eye view, or no. And how do I put different parts of the dungeon together, like two different objects. Help would be appreciated.
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:46 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The construction set allows you to model in 3D - there's no particular angle you're dealing with. You start off looking down on your scene from above, but you can rotate your viewpoint any way you want.

Movement around a scene is rather tricky at first, but becomes much easier with practice. I can't remember the controls exactly, but they are all a combination of moving the mouse with one or no buttons held down, and holding down one of CTRL, SHIFT or ALT. Hold down Z while moving a piece to move it up and down. There are a few other useful buttons, the help files should contain them.

Take a look for the Snap settings. When modelling it's very useful to turn angle snap to 45 degrees and the movement snap to 64 or 128 units.
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:47 pm
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ok, thx. Just one question, how do I snap models from the static section together?
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:00 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Turn on the movement snap settings and you'll find they fit together nicely. You need to set a value in an options page somewhere, and select an icon on the toolbar to enable movement snapping.
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:21 am
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Another thing. I don't have bloodmoon yet, only tribunal. SO if i am working on something and then install bloodmoon, then continue working, will anything be messed up?
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:22 am
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by cfmdobbie
You start off looking down on your scene from above, but you can rotate your viewpoint any way you want.

Ok, I am very pathetic, but how do I rotate my viewpoint? I went from a birds eye view to a side view, i have no clue how i did that.
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:33 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster
Another thing. I don't have bloodmoon yet, only tribunal. SO if i am working on something and then install bloodmoon, then continue working, will anything be messed up?

No, it's Ok, as faras I know, but if you have bloodmoon & work with it, then you won't be able to play it without bloodmoon.
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:12 pm
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ok, no prob then.

Erm, can anyone give me a decent tutorial on dungeon building, because I am just very confused. Plz don't give the Elder Scrolls tutorial from their website, or the built in one, both are the same and both don't tell me how to snap, and it is very confusing.

okay, and where are these option buttons. I can't find anything!!! What is the render window?? Where do I find the thing that changes settings. I am sooo confused.
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:58 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

quote:
okay, and where are these option buttons. I can't find anything!!! What is the render window?? Where do I find the thing that changes settings. I am sooo confused.

The render window is on the upper right corner. If it's not there, check it from the "view" tab. What options do you want in particular? If objects, than double-click on them. If races\classes... than from gameplay tab.
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:01 am
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Oh, thats the render window, ok. But then how do u snap using it , cuz this is what the tutorial says.

"After you have the pieces in the cell, move them around and “snap” them together by dragging them around the render window. In this example we’ve used 4 of the pyrite cave pieces to snap together. This is a small sized cave, but should provide a nice quick diversion for the player."
Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:03 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Sorry, but what does "snap" mean? I never used the tutorial, so I don't know what it is.
Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:41 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
"After you have the pieces in the cell, move them around and “snap” them together by dragging them around the render window. In this example we’ve used 4 of the pyrite cave pieces to snap together. This is a small sized cave, but should provide a nice quick diversion for the player."

That means moving pieces around with movement snap enabled until they line up with each other - snapping parts together like Lego(TM).

I'm sure you can find the snap settings yourself - I don't have access to a Morrowind-capable machine at the moment, so can't hand-hold you through it. Look in the menus for Options, Settings, Preferences or something. Find a setting there called "grid snap", "movement snap" or something. Turn it on. Now find an icon on the toolbar that enables movement snap - it may already be on.
Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:13 pm
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ok, I will try that soon enough. Why does this seem to be so hard.

My main problem is, how do I know if they are on the same height levels?
Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:49 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Ok, I will try that soon enough. Why does this seem to be so hard.

It really isn't - honest! Just try it.

quote:
My main problem is, how do I know if they are on the same height levels?

Rotate the camera around to the side and see?
Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:58 am
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Rotate the camera around to the side and see

Yes, I try that, but I cannot align them perfectly. When i look at static properties, I see an X,Y,Z value or something. They are similiar to the X, Y,Z properties in the warcraft III editor. Anyways, is there any property that puts you on a certain elevation or no?
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:39 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next