Did I kill too many Bandits - NOTR question
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Lostnumber
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Did I kill too many Bandits - NOTR question

I have a habit of exploring the world and killing as many enemies as I can with each new game I play. I started the addon world with this style of game play as my M.O. and now I am wondering if killing a few bandits was a bad idea. The guys hanging around the tower near the pirate camp, and a few of the named fellas hanging around outside of the main bandit camp are now helping the flowers grow. I believe there is a cave with a bed in it and a small camp outside that had a few named bandits hanging out that are now dead. The cave is about 30 meters away from the main bandit camp where a guy in red old camp armor is watching over a few bandits. Lastly some of the bandits standing near the bridge that acts as an entrance to the bandit camp are also dead (the bridge near the corpse of Lance). I originally killed every bandit and then spoke with the fella with the red old camp armor; we started talking about Thorus and the leader of the bandits and how I am now the new leader. I had no damn idea what he was talking about so I then decided that I just broke the game. I reloaded a game that had most of the bandits intact, however a few of the named ones are still dead. Sorry I can’t supply anyone reading this with more information but I am at work right now, so if the details are not here I am afraid that I cannot help. The big question is, will I have to start a new game because I broke the story path of the one I am presently playing or can I continue on and miss only a minimal amount of the story? Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help received.

On a side note it really is great to see how well the Gothic community is thriving. I believe that the last post I contributed to this forum was made nearly three or four years ago (or what seems to be 3 or 4 years) when many were waiting for Gothic 2 to arrive in the states. I think that I have been visiting these boards since the first gothic hit stores way back when. I would imagine that some of Gothic's success and growth could be attributed to this community. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of Gothic 3 and I am sure that any of the questions I will have concerning that game will be answered here. Even though some might say it’s not my place, I would like to thank the entire community for helping make the Gothic series a point of relaxation and invaluable entertainment for all these years. Kudos to the developers and distributors as well of course... Edited for confusing spelling and grammar.
Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:08 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I can't recall ever haven broken the game. In fact, it's not possible - all NPCs that must stay alive are impossible to kill(they are "immune to death" and can't be harmed. You can fight them, but you will either die or run away).

What you need to do in order to get in with Thorus is talk to the leader inside the camp about "red stones" to enter. He will then give you a quest to find his assassin. This will lead to getting a red stone. Give that to Thorus and he will let you in. If you need any more info, just ask.
Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:32 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Lostnumber, you should go to the pirates camp and do the quest there and get the bandit armor before visiting the bandits. You won't have to kill any of the bandits and you'll get a few more exp. with side quests from minor NPC's that CAN be killed.....but as said before you can't kill the storyline dependent NPC's.

My first time through i played like you did.......like a brutish orc thug and missed out on some side quests. Of course after you have done everything there is to do in the bandit camp, feel free to get orcish on their asses Before i leave the addon world for the last time I go through and kill everything I can make bleed.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:37 pm
Lostnumber
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thank you both for your replies, at least now I know I will not have to start a new game. After joining the pirates yesterday, I did end up going to the camp and poking around. The leader of the hunters bossed me around for a while and did eventually end up sending me to protect one of the bandits I had killed earlier. After he was done sending me around and it was time to make good on his promises he made it apparent that he was simply using me. I wound up having to kill him, yet when we were fighting the others did not intervene. The guy at the top of the hill spoke with me for a bit, and subsequently let me into the lower camp. I was amazed to find so many of the original gothic characters there. Shortly thereafter I had to call it a night, but it is clear to me now that the game was not ruined at all. Thanks again for your help.

I am not trying to turn this into a rant about Gothic 3’s release date but does anyone know which month/quarter it will be released in the states. I have found what appears to be conflicting information, one bit leading me to believe that it will not be ready until summer ’06 and another saying that it will be ready sometime soon after Christmas, sometime in Q1 ‘06. I really didn’t scrutinize the information all that well so some is obviously a bit more dated than the rest. I am just wondering where we sit and how confident we are about it. Please no freaking out; I suppose that the best would be to point me in the right direction with a link or quick comment of some sort.

Thanks again!!
Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:58 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

German version will probably be released in Q1 2006, and English version about 1-2 months later, so most people are guessing Q2 2006. I just can't wait!
Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:49 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
German version will probably be released in Q1 2006, and English version about 1-2 months later, so most people are guessing Q2 2006. I just can't wait!

I'm very curious what Q1 will bring, because judging on the info we've got so far, they can hardly be near the end of development. Or they misleading us with for example the "demo" from the GC.
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:26 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The conflicting infos are easy to explain. The 2 German publishers have a different approach. JoWooD apparently says it´s Q1, although they changed their release list to "2006". Aspyr passes on the info they get from JoWooD. Koch Media / Deep Silver doesn´t commit to an exact date. They´re sure G3 will come in 2006, but they´re not in a hurry. Koch doesn´t even try to make the imporession we´ll see it in Q1.
Koch plans to take over ~45% of JoWooD. Maybe this will help clarify the situation.
Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:55 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Translated: Q3, hehe.

Oh well.
Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:33 pm
Lostnumber
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

A 45% holding, I just read something about that. Does this mean that Jowood and Koch are merging or will Koch simply be a parent company hoping to turn a profit on Jowood? Did I read correctly when I saw that Jowood shares were selling for one euro? I seem to remember reading that Jowood was not doing to well in their recent past. If I recall correctly their projected revenue for the next fiscal year is something to the tune of 20 million euro. Securing a 15% (gross?) margin seems to be great for a company in distress, even if it is on just 20 million. Are these projections based on the corporate restructuring? What type of influence is Koch exerting on Jowood? Is Jowood/Koch focusing on a more narrow and solid product schedule? If so what is getting cut? Are the distribution rights sold to Aspyr going to be affected by the take over/purchase? Why is Koch being so conservative with the release date? What is the significance of this purchase and how will both companies be affected? Sorry for the questions, but clearly you know much about the gaming business and just business in general, I think that you would be the best person to answer these questions. I appologise if some of the questions have obvious answers, it was just a stream of thought that wound as a post. Thanks.
Post Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:28 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Koch seems to be somewhat reluctant to take over JoWooD. They got a special permission to acquire such a large chunk without making a buy-out offer to all other shareholders, as the law orders.
Koch didn´t buy the shares. They collected JoWooD´s liabilities from various other parties for a certain percentage of the nominal value. JoWooD was basically bankrupt, so the creditors would have gotten 100% of nothing. I guess Koch has offered them a reasonable amount, maybe 25%, and purchased JoWooD liabilites worth several million EUR. Then JoWooD and Koch make a debt-equity swap. The debt will be gone and Koch will get ~45% of the company.
45% is enough to make sure no important decision can be made against Koch. Practically they could even install their own people in leading positions. If they want to get involved is a completely different question. Koch can control JoWooD or take them over, just as they want.
I have the impression, which may or may not be true, that Koch´s decision was more of a defensive move to protect their past investments in JoWooD´s current line-up (G3, SF2, The Guild 2, Panzer Elite Action, Ski Racing, ... add-ons...).

JoWooD will concentrate on sequels and brand extensions of the aforementioned franchises. Koch is a rather solid company. They don´t take huge risks.

The corporate restructuring is almost over - I think CEO Seidl said it´s 97.5% over, based on the planned money. All internal studios are closed, lots of staff let go, the bosses replaced earlier this year.
Post Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:30 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Will be quite interesting to see what visible changes all of this will bring us(the gamers). Last time a similar thing happened(that affected me), the gamers got left with nothing(3DO went down the drain, and the copyrights was bought by Ubisoft).. or rather, it took several years before the next installement got developed(being developed right now).

I really don't think we'll have any problems now though, as the expansion of G3(if it gets developed, which it probably will be) is such a sure winner for Jowood/Koch that they're going to release it regardless of what happens.

I don't like what's happening to Jowood, but it's a much better way out than bankruptcy.
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:31 am
Lostnumber
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Wow, so let me wrap my head around this. Jowood is a company with a tumultuous financial history. As a company they managed to turn poor earnings around about two or three years ago, only to declare bankruptcy now. What could have brought this around? I would imagine that the restructuring took a toll on many of their works in progress, but it seemed as though they had some really solid titles that should have brought in a significant amount of revenue. Why didn’t the reductions in overhead and seemingly strong sales allow for Jowood to turn a profit, were creditors really chipping away at the company that much? I suppose that I am oversimplifying the ordeal, but I would just like to know what happened.
What type of relationship does Koch share with Jowood? I though that Jowood handled all of the distribution in the European and Asian market. What type of investment does Koch have in Jowood to mitigate their interest in Jowood’s success?
I am just guessing here, but does Koch see a potential to profit from what Jowood set out to do? If this is so I would imagine that some of the games that Jowood is selling might be receiving more effective market exposure in the near future, is this a correct assumption? At this point I need to know more about Koch’s history and intentions with Jowood before I could even guess at what all of this means.
Sorry for diverting from the original topic but this is just too interesting to pass up.
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:41 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Well, if it´s that interesting for you you should read through JoWooD´s investor relations page first. It answers most of your questions.

btw., JoWooD sold or closed their whole distribution branch in 2002 and 2003. They wouldn´t be able to distribute something even if they wanted to. Maybe you´re confusing distribution and publishing.
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:42 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

lmao you should saw me in gothic i killed every person and finished them off i started off with every digger then guard then higher up people but i didnt know that if you killed them the story wouldnt progress.

Big mistake i killed lee and gomes thank god for marvin mode but when i was on the last boss i went back and killed every one vefore fighting the final boss i killed EVERY one
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:17 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Lee has no vital part in the story. Gomez can't be killed untill he's actually out of the story, which is in Chapter 5. He is immortal till then, just like every other important quest NPC. The only way to kill them is to enter marvin mode and take off their immortality.

In fact, I know of no way to ruin the story in Gothic, but then again, I don't really try.
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:01 am