Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic Australian release date in doubt..
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
foniks munkee
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, I have been eagerly awaiting the release of this game in its english incarnation for sometime now, especially after the announcement that NWN was pushed back to a March release date. It seems however there are some problems with the release date in Australia..

Originally slated for a release around the 15th of November, it came forward to the 13th then back to the 30th, and then imagine my horror when I found that the game now no longer has a firm release date. A quick ring around to a number of stores, and friends in the industry confirms that there seems to be a problem with the publishing rites. Apparently the company that was to originally publish the game in Australia will no longer be doing so, and the rites have shifted to an as yet unamed publisher. I am unsure if this problem is only in Australia or more widespread, I have not been able to find any further information - but it is interesting to note the EB (US) have up until now showing a shipping date of the 13th which has now slipped to the 19th.

Can anyone confirm this to be the case? Maybe I should just stop worrying and find something more constructive to do..

Post Wed Nov 14, 2001 4:00 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Thatīs really strange
I checked it at EBgames.com. Yesterday it was 11/13, now itīs 11/19, but they still have this ad on the front page and the publisher is still Xicat.
Post Wed Nov 14, 2001 4:19 am
foniks munkee
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, It is strange. Neither the Xicat webpage or the official Gothic webpage has been updated for a while, so they are still showing the 4th Quarter and the 15th respectively as being the official US release date, and of course that is probably still the case. It is just that the information I have been getting from the distributors in Aust. has been really inconclusive and the fact that they keep moving the dates is not that reassuring.

I guess a lot of the problem is that the release of the English version of Gothic has not had the kind of hype associated with some of the other games coming in the 4th Quarter, such as AvP2, Civ III etc. These games have really been pushed over here, even making it onto the streets before the US and European releases (which I have to say is really odd, but good for me

The reason that I am looking for feedback is because I am one of the most impatient gamers alive, and if I have to wait another month to get the game or pay fifty big ones more to get the game earlier I will put up the cash every time. So if EB have it sooner as advertised I will import it. I guess I am miffed because I pre-purchased it here in Australia because it was originally advertised as coming out three days earlier in Australia, which has been the case with a number of big name releases lately. Oh well.. keep on waiting I guess!
Post Wed Nov 14, 2001 4:40 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The non-updated PB page is easy to explain. They can simply delegate all the PR to the international publisher, Xicat.
What I donīt understand is, why was there close to zero webwide marketing for Gothic during the last few weeks? Compare this to Wizardry 8.... even team members I never even wanted to know anything about are in the spotlight every day.
Where are the official announcements about the dates for all those countries? Why isnīt Gothic listed on GoneGold? And so on.
Another inconsistency is the different release dates on EB and Amazon. Amazon allways listed Nov.30th as release date.

Post Wed Nov 14, 2001 5:08 am
foniks munkee
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I agree, there does seem to be a real inconsistancy in both the release information and the level of interest from the gaming media in general, online and in print.

Gamespot are usually really up to date, but they have not had anything in the way of news and they have not updated their site to reflect a release date (probably due to lack of information from the publisher). The Australian gaming press is usually very keen on RPG's yet I have not seen any previews or news on this game in the past couple of months.

It seems as though the publisher is keeping this release a real low key affair, but why you would do that, especially just before the Xmas season is beyond me.

One store that I frequent (funnily enough it was EBgames) in Australia had been advertising it for the past few months as being released on the 30th, just as Amazon have but this is different to their parent company, the US division of EB. Now I would expect there to be some differences in the releas due to the locality however I gave them a call yesterday, only to be told that the game had come off of their release schedule! This actually happened last year with the PS2 version of Summoner so I am not too worried it just means that it will probably come extremely late (mid January for Summoner as apposed to the 20th of Nov release date they where advertising).

Now I could start making up theories about the government and UFO's and all that, but that would just cause people to panic.
Post Wed Nov 14, 2001 5:30 am
foniks munkee
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I know this is probably not the right forum, but I have noticed that Dark Age of Camelot is out OS. Us ozzies have to wait until March next year to purchase our copies.. (Unless we import!)

[ This Message was edited by: foniks munkee on 2001-11-14 02:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: foniks munkee on 2001-11-14 03:00 ]
Post Wed Nov 14, 2001 5:37 am

ya..same frustration here in the states. I called EB monday..they told me it would be in the store today..the 14th. I called today about it, they said it got pushed back another week and they wont have it til the 20th.

guess i'll buy wizardry 8 after all and check back with gothic at a later date..
Post Wed Nov 14, 2001 6:57 pm

Kaivaal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, I hate to add another inconsistancy, but my local dealer, Berlin Wall in Adelaide, has said that it has been delayed to the 30th of Dec. I almost wanna cry...

Post Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:21 pm
foniks munkee
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Damn! I have already paid for it from Berlin!!
I actually had a talk with the guys there earlier about this release date inconsistancy and they indicated that the date is just a filler as their distributor can't give them a firm date. It is entirely possible that it could be in stock tomorrow, but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath about it! Just ask the guys on the Berlin Wall forum, they may have some more info.. They also read the posts alot so you shouldn't have to wait for long, well they will probably be asleep right now..
Post Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:46 pm