A new convert reporting
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
elvenheart
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A new convert reporting

Really just dropping by and saying hello to everyone..

I only recently found out about this great game, and you can only imagine my astonishment. By Ainur, this is probably the best CRPG I ever laid my elvish hands on - and to think that I had never even heard of it before! I'm only a casual gamer, but that's probably mostly because I have pretty high demands when it comes to games. Before Gothic 2, I think Neverwinter Nights was the last RPG that I was really excited about. But then again, I think Gothic 2 is even better. It's got a huge, immerse world, full of living and breathing characters with lots of things to do, not to mention the epic story. I think the most important thing that sets Gothic 2 apart from all the other games is that everything that Gothic 2 has, all the little details, shows a terrific effort and love the developers put into this game, and it is simply the thing that makes it so enjoyable. It is really a shame that not so many people know about this game outside the German-speaking world, because the game would really deserve the attention of everyone, probably even the people who do not usually take on role-playing games.

I am still to finish the game (paladin l12 in chapter 4 right now) but I'm already looking forward to getting NotR and beyond that, Gothic 3 of course. And if Gothic 3 should take ages to get finished, I always Gothic 1 too..

Cheers to everyone and I hope to see you on a friendly elven-realm near you!
Post Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:43 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

Don't play Gothic 1 only if Gothic 3 takes a long time. the sotry of Gothic 1 is even better than in 2. you should really play it too or you miss a great game
lvl 12 in chapter 4? damn you are rushing the game. First time I played i was lvl 10 chapter 2
But welcome to the gothiclovers club
Post Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:13 pm
elvenheart
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Umm I just checked from the walkthrough and sorry, it was chapter 3 I'm in. I'm already forced to stop advancing because I'm simply too weak..

Anyway, I'm sure to start from scratch when I'm done with the game and try a different approach, explore everything more deeply and stuff. Hopefully I will also have NotR by that too.. Now I'm just too anxious to know what happens at the end

Don't worry, I will be sure to check out Gothic 1 too! By the way, does the scenery differ a lot from Gothic 2? I really like roaming the vast wilderness..
Post Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:40 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

well you have been in the VoM already. that is the scenery of G1. But it is quite different from the VoM of G2. If you play it you'll know what I mean
Post Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:45 pm
elvenheart
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sure, I just hope it won't be as desolate back in Gothic 1..

It also occured to me that I really should have played the first game erm.. well, first, cos there seems to be a lot of characters and stuff from Gothic 1.

Ok, back to kicking some swampy dragon butt
Post Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:34 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Its definately not as desolate. The reason its like that now is because of the orcs overunning it.

That huge orc wall is not there for one thing, and there is a lot more world behind it.

Also, the three seperate camps seem to be rounded out a lot better in the 1st Gothic, they have more "character" and you realy have to make a tough choice when choosing one to join.

I would say that NOTR brings Gothic 2 pretty close to G1 standards, and personaly I wouldnt waste my time playing vanilla G2, I would just install NOTR and play it that way instead.
Post Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:06 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forums!

You should play Gothic before TNotR. You´ll meet many old friends.

Gothic´s graphics can be considerably improved. Ask about the details when you have it.
Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:12 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

They can? You have any links to the info?
Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:17 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Feed the search function with permutations of 'fps patch'. Better graphics, 60+ fps.
Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:36 pm
elvenheart
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for all the info, I'll grab Gothic 1 as soon as I come across it in a local shop. The graphics patch sounded very interesting, I will be sure to check it out.

I'm hesitating about getting NotR just as yet if there's still some hope for the official English version. Not that playing with the unofficial patch would be any problem though, I'm sure it is simply great work by some extremely dedicated people., but if I can get the English version for my money.. you know.

Damnit, I'm now on level 18, and progress it becoming pretty slow in the Valley because of all the nasty things roaming there.. But I can't help loving it!

Thanks for the warm welcome btw!
Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:09 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by elvenheart
Damnit, I'm now on level 18, and progress it becoming pretty slow in the Valley because of all the nasty things roaming there.. But I can't help loving it!

Hehe, we know! Don't tells us nothing about nasty things roaming in the VoM.
Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:37 pm
Jackie
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

what does Vom mean?

I'm lost.I dont write in the forum for a long time because i believe that there is no reason if any gothic will not come out.

Dont take it personally.
Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:34 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Vom = Village of mimes

only joking =0) its:

Vom = Valley of Mines
Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:53 pm
elvenheart
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have to say that I have already come to hate the Valley of Mines..

Thinking about it now, the Valley of Mines is quite a contrast to the New World. The terrain, although it fits to the theme quite well, looks pretty dated when compared to the one in the new world, and it reminds me of much older games like Blade of Darkness (liked that one btw). Am I correct in assuming that the devs have probably used the terrain graphics from Gothic 1 as-is..?

Ah well, after some intensive hacking and slashing earlier tonight all the dragons lie dead and I can finally shake the dusts of the damn valley off my feet..
Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:05 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

They used a lot of stuff as is. But there are some improvements also. For one thing I didnt ever notice the bizarre "wall of trees" that used to surround the wooded areas until you got close.
Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:33 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next