Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How happy are you with what Morrowind delivers?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

How do you like Morrowind?
excellent game
89%
 89%  [ 42 ]
less than I expected
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 47

Author Thread
Vorador
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Best RPG of all time, baby!

Oh yeah, i definitely think this game is the best RPG of all time. It has incredible graphics, stunning characters, a once in a lifetime story...whooh, gettin a little tired here...and plus, it has added special things, like becoming other things than a human, and following a totally different storyline. This game is definitely the best, and i will stand by it till the end.
Vorador

Noble? Do I look like a noble knight to you?

=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth, the Nonflamers' Guild, the Sixth House, the RPGDot Warriors, and Digger of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Wed May 08, 2002 2:22 pm
Agamon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I voted "Best RPG of all time", but I'd like to add, "but not for long, as NWN will soon be out."

Seriously, though, this is the coolest single player game I've played in quite a while (Max Payne comes close).
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:02 pm
Seraphim
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

NWN has some pretty big shoes to fill.

This is definatly the best RPG of all time and any future RPG's should take after Morrowind. I hope they design the rest of Tamriel as expansions.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 8:18 pm
Gothmog
Village Leader
Village Leader

Got the game today.

Rather liked the modest box- why make them bigger?

The manual was well laid out and not burdened with too much non-essential detail.

Game installed easily and quickly and an initial look cnfirmed that it seemed to be playing fine on my Athlon 1Gb 256Kb and GeForce2-without all the bells and whistles of course.

Comments about the quality of the game will have to wait while I have a good dither about what sort of character I want to play-- shouild take me about week.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:26 pm

Great stuff.

I'd go for "excellent game." My favorite RPG of all time being The Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate. Call me old fashioned, but I do love that game (can't wait for The Bard's Legacy to come out either! I've been following that game for several years now, and it looks like it's finally getting to the point of release!)

My biggest disappointment in Morrowind is the NPC's. They're walking around 24/7, and shops are open at all hours. I rather liked it in Daggerfall where everything kinda closed down at 9 or 10 at night. I also think the dialogue screen gets annoying, trying to scroll through all that crap to find the right thing... I wish it was organized better.

As for framerates... I have few complaints. On my Duron 1ghz, 384MB PC133, GeForce 2 GTS, if I turn anti-aliasing off in my hardware properties, I can run Morrowind at the highest resolution with real-time shadows turned all the way up and view-distance all the way up with very little slowdown. I've got them turned down, though, because I'd rather have the game run smoothly than anything. Plus, I noticed a problem with the real-time shadows... some people were on top of the Council Club in Balmora, but I could see their shadows through the wall. Not a big gripe, but sorta lame anyways. I've also gotten stuck on things a few times (once underwater ), which I hate to no end, and I even fell through the wall in Vivec once! Not as big a problem as in Daggerfall, by any means, though.

Some people have complained that you're too weak at the beginning, but I didn't notice that at all. I'm playing an Agent, and I wiped out the smuggler's cave and most monsters I encountered early-on with no problems. I ran into a few that I was no match for, but all in all, I didn't feel like I was struggling to stay alive. Now that I'm level ten, I can take on 3 vampires at once with my silver short sword and leather armor and come out with about 1/2 my life left (and vampire dust, which is worth a lot ) without any problems at all.

All in all, Morrowind is a great game, and I feel like it was well worth the purchase. I'll certainly be playing it for quite some time to come.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:29 pm

Interzone
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hrm.

Well, that guest who just posted that big long reply was me. Guess I should've registered before writing that. Anyways, now I've registered and that was me
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:33 pm
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

I voted DISAPOINTED , and let me tell you why....

I LOVED Daggerfall, so my expectations for Morrowind were a bit high, but hey! THEY said it would ship when it's bug-free. So i waited. Got it. Bug-free my ass. Graphics are nice, but i can't really see any of it unless i stand still because of the tearing. Those loading statements every 2 minutes are nice, but why aren't there any info on those loadings that happen every 30 seconds? When running or traveling by roads that is?
Making a custom race are we? Hmmm. Now why would we want to pick the stats or anything other relevant for it, just pick the favorite attributes.
(yes i know you can make your own with the editor, but this was one of the frases that sold this game (make your own player) and it was vastly botched - now how idiotic is that? I would have liked to distribute my stats as i wanted when i made an "unique" class, but fuck that i see)

Heres the deal: I LOVE THIS GAME

But a few hints so it doesn't get on the nerve:
Save your game in less than 30min intervals - on at least 3 different saves
If you ever steal something, and wear it, do not ever get gaught again or you'll lose it.
All the GUARDS see you wether they are actually looking at you or not, normal folk don't matter.

Finally: HOPE. Hope is important, because without it we will have a game thats ridden with bugs & full of options.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 1:47 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Lord_LSD: do you use the safedisc remover? if not try it.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 10:59 am
Snittervlieg

Well, happy and dissapointed for sure, i was concerned about this all the time , when i sAw a gameplay movie
i saw right away how lame the battles looked...

Good things, graphics{especially water} huge huge world, level design, weather conditions, enough choice between,

clothesd,weapons,to buy or steal. and more cant come up with it yet.

bad things, guards and other npc's that seem to just walking around having no life, after playing gothic alot i was

dissapointed not to see working npcs with real lives in morrowind, they just stand there doing actually nothing...
then we have the battlesystem, when you hit your character you can't even see it..you just have to hack and slash till your

victim falls on the ground...becomes kinda boring very easily IMHO, fighting creatures or npcs just isn't fun at all this

way....and fighting in my opinion is one of the most important things in a game like this, with defeating opponents you gain

power,,etc.....

so dissapointed in those things...i find it sad they didnt tweak alittle with the battlesystem..i can't be the only one

attacking this point in Morrowind....i mean...alot of people love Gothic, if you liked the fighting in that game
you can definetely see my point, my gripe on fighting in MW.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 11:12 am

Viz79

Almost 100 people:

55% = best game of all time

85%= excellent game or better (best game of all time)

Well seems pretty conclusive so far, in fact better than almost any other game poll Ive seen on overwhelming fan support of a released game.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:56 pm

nichtendraaier

Agreeing with Snittervlieg completely here, i find the game had too much hype..way over the top reactions like best rpg ever, it just isn't at all...the fighting IMHO really ruins the fun in this game...the level design is amazing..really good stuff..but that's really not enough to make a great game....im dissapointed in it....i expected so much more..can't really explain it ...but the game missses something really important.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 5:23 pm

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Nichtendraaier/snittervlieg: The battlesystem isnt bugged, flawed or faulty, it is just the way the mods like it. And if I see the poll results, a LOT of us like it.

Yes, they could have changed it, but they feel it is fine this way. And oh, after some battles you will get a feel, and you wont miss the bar at all.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 6:06 pm
Malkiel

Interesting...

I find it interesting that games that have done so well like Diablo, Dungeon Siege, etc, have extremely repetitive combat, but that is found as standard and acceptable. Put it in 1st person view then, and suddenly the expectation changes.

An earlier post mentioned that you should try to make combat more interesting yourself, and I agree with this statement. You have many decisions to make, like armor, weapon, terrain, magic, etc... Yeah, i agree with not having necessary feedback, but you make the game. If you don't like the repetitive hack and slash, don't do it. Run and hide, get to high ground, conjure a pet, put obstacles between you... there are so many options that you have.

Until we have a system that allows us to simulate h2h combat well, tied to a breathtaking world, with seemingly unlimited things to do, we'll have to settle with the tradeoffs that the developer made.

But if you're looking for a game that purely simulates h2h melee combat from a 1st person view, this probably isn't for you.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 7:06 pm

bman

thoughts

A lot of the complaints posted thus far stem from a deep love of one particular game and expecting morrowind to be just like that cherished game in every way.

This game happens to be gothic, but it could easily be another.

One cannot judge an artistic work based upon other artistic works. One must judge it on its own merits.

It is true that certain titles raise the bar. For instance, a game with really great graphics makes future games with lesser graphics a disappointment sometimes. However, the standards should be based upon the average of the genre and not just one specific title.

For an example of very unbiased reviewing, check out the reviews at rpgvault

They judge each game based upon its own merit rather than comparing it to others.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 8:14 pm

Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

Yes, they could have changed it, but they feel it is fine this way. And oh, after some battles you will get a feel, and you wont miss the bar at all.

They DID change it...which is why it sucks so much @ss now. The original idea was *very* cool.

The good news is that there isn't a horribly large amount of combat in this game thusfar. Of course, with a combat system this bad, any combat is too much.

quote:
For an example of very unbiased reviewing, check out the reviews at rpgvault

LOL! Credibility destroyed.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 10:23 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next