Gothic 3: Preview @ CVG
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Gothic 3: Preview @ CVG

Computerandvideogames.com has posted a new <a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=140426" target="_blank">preview</a> of Gothic 3. Besides talking about the game CVG also takes some time to look at the differences between players in Europe and America.
<br>
<br><blockquote><em>The different demands of the European public are illustrated perfectly in the Q&A after the presentation. No "how does this game extend the themes of Gothic II?" or "how does this fit into a rapidly expanding RPG market?" here. Instead, a man with a semi-matted ponytail asks: "Can you set fire to things and people?" His methodical delivery makes it clear he wants to set fire to things and people, one after the other. "Yes, there are fire spells," answers the developer. "No! I mean with a torch!" comes a brittle reply. With this hunger for realism, he presumably wants to be able to piss the fire out too, so long as he's consumed enough liquids in-game.</em></blockquote>
Although I must say that I sense some prejudice here.<BR><BR>
Post Wed May 24, 2006 8:05 pm

After reading that preview I must say... that guy is a prick!
Post Wed May 24, 2006 8:17 pm

Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

quote:
he game was originally developed for the PS2, and barely changed when the development moved over to PC

Wow, is that true, was Gothic orginally designed for PS2?
Post Wed May 24, 2006 11:50 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree with just about everything Zylex wrote in his comments to this article(check link under the article itself).
Post Thu May 25, 2006 3:08 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Sad the EU media reports in that way.
Looks like it is best to avoid large corprate type game media outlets in both the US and EU to look for great independent sites like errr RPGDot.

Gothic series being one of my favorites, keeps me being intrested in new information.
I guess this Console deal really explains the awkward roots of the interface and inventory, if true.

I always figured maybe EU was more partical to older style key configurations, even here in the US about the same time Gothic came out we had a similar situation with System Shock 2, they too designed the interface around Function keys.
Seemed odd to me on both accounts while in SS2 you could change configuations to avoid it and mouse was always implemted, to me needing Funtion keys for all but the most intense interface games like Tie Fighter series, had died out in the early 90's.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 5:47 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Stefan Berger (JoWood brand manager) has previously stated in interviews that a console release for Gothic was originally intended.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 6:01 am
lilithn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think this guy is a rude arrogant man.
And I sense some mocking undertones too.
Furthermore I don't think there is a need for comparing Gothic series to TES series, or Gothic 3 to Oblivion. (I'm referring to the comments after the article) More since we haven't even put our little greedy hands on Gothic 3.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 9:22 am