Where do you live?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Where do you live?

Do you like where you live? Do you hate it? What makes the place where you live great or not so great? What do you like doing where you live? What holidays do you celebrate and enjoy where you live? Any cool folktales about your hometown? What are people like where you live? Do you live near a volcano, an ocean, mountains, forests, or open plains?
You don't have to get too specific if you don't want to. You can talk about the city you live in, or the state, or the providence, or the country, etc. Although try to get more specfic than just planet Earth.
Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:02 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Houston, Texas.

I dont hate it, but it doesnt really have anything amazing about it either. Its very "bla"

Its great because its a hell of a lot cheaper than where I used to live (London, UK). But its very boring compared to London.

I would love to tell you all about the people where I live, but I would just be ranting and I just try to ignore them anyway =0)

No interesting landmarks whatsoever. Just an endless flat plain of crud =0)
Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:48 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Well, I love where I live. Half way between Brisbane and the Australian Gold Coast, with the largest shopping complex in the southern hemisphere 5 mins from my front door. It's nearly always warm (you can wear shorts 10 months of the year) it never snows, miles of beautiful sandy beaches are just a short drive away and the people are basically laid back and friendly. If the sub-tropics appeal to you, then you'd enjoy living here. Many, many people retire here, a bit like Florida without the cyclones/hurricanes and California without the earthquakes/smog!! What's not to like?

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:33 am
ScOut3R
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I'm living in Budapest, Hungary. All in all i love the city, but sometimes it really goes on my nerves. The mass transport and the traffic couldn't get any worse, and it is a bit dirty, but "big" cities usually are. But if you leave these things behind you'll love Bp. It has its own beauty.
A river cuts the city in half. One half is on several hills, the other is perfectly plain. There's a castle on one of the hills, and a big statue with a citadel on the other. There are some ancient roman ruins in the city, some turkish bathes. We built one of the first undergrounds in Europe which runs in Bp. The most beautiful view of the city is at night on the shore of the river, when the whole shore and all of the bridges are lit up with lights and the castle too.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:06 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Statesboro, Georgia, U.S.A. Small redneck, football-obsessed, homosexual-hating, ignorant, yay-America-go-Bush town. And it's really hot here. That basically sums it up. This town sucks.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:37 pm
gamemaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I live in a Banana Republic - an island in the Caribbean and no, I do not care for it much. The general populace is laid back and the conversation on a low scale.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:28 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Economically, it's a black hole. A pit of certain doom and despair where no less than 30% of the population lives well below the poverty line.

However, it's a great sized city ... not too small, not too large... and the country side is nice. It's such a nice place to live (if you ignore the race riots at the high schools and such) that a lot of people put up with the economic crap.

It's not where I was born or raised... but it's a nice place to live. (Just don't go near Halifax harbor, or huge black tentacles from the depths of the foul and utterly polluted water will rise up and slay you).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:27 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

For the first time ever(even not at the NFG I believe) I'm gonna give some detailed info about the place I live.

I live in Edegem, near Antwerp, in Belgium. Politicly seen Belgium ain't a greate country for me(I'm Flemmish, you see), but apart from that I like very much where I live. An odd thing about us, small country citizens is that we think very different about distances then Americans. 50km sounds already far for us.
A good thing for me is that in Edegem, there's a very low crime rate. Makes me feel safe. People still talk to their neighbours, but I think it will gradually dissapear. Our society begins to adopt the less good things about the USA society. (I've nothing against taking over the good stuff, but I don't see why we should make the same misstakes.) An example is the growing individualism in our cities. Another the will of some to privatise the healthcare.

About holidays: I used to say no Halloween over here, but that's one of the things we are adopting from the US society. Thanksgiving is offcourse of no impact here and we have (logically) another national holiday (21/7 -> d/m). There are voices (like mine) that wants to have another. 11/7 is the 'national' holiday of Flanders. In some corporations it already is, but it ain't obligated.

We are known of negotiations and endless debating. We are less likely to just take a position and stand by it. This is mostly due to the fact that Belgium exists of a French and a Dutch speaking part and that we have a different cultural background. If we don't negotiate, we would have been just another country at war.

Oh yeah Flanders is much like the Netherlands, at least where I live. All open plains.
NFG member
Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:56 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I live in Leeds, in the North of England. I don't really like it, to be honest! I mean, it's modern and not falling to bits, so I guess I can't complain too much, but the cost of living is ridiculously high here and like many big UK cities it's not a very friendly place. The year I moved here, I lived right on the corner of the street with the highest burglary rate in Europe (Chestnut Avenue in Hyde Park, useless fact fans)! I moved here about 7 years ago from my home town of Stockton-on-Tees (further north, near the NE coast) which was kind of like the British equivalent of Mage's home town (replace unquestioning patriotism with working-class "I know my place" mentality, replace "hot" with "raining," and throw in world-record car crime figures, ever-increasing juvenile crime and quite staggering unfriendliness and racism ), so even though Leeds ain't great, it's a damn sight better than where I came from. It's a shame to say it, because all my family still live there, and it used to be such a nice place when I was growing up, but it has honestly gone down the toilet with alarming rapidity.

When I still lived there, I used to spend a lot of time further up north, in Newcastle (getting quite close to the Scottish border now). It's a huge city, and as such it does have some problems with violence/crime, but I really liked it up there... the people are great, very friendly and genuine, even if they can be a bit intimidating at first (the blood of Viking invaders still circulates there, I believe! ). I don't have any immediate plans to go back, but I just thought I'd better mention it so as not to paint England in a 100% negative light!

Still, given half the chance, I'd live where Corwin is! Wanna swap?
Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:52 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Why, Earth, same place as the rest of you. Well, what I really mean is Utah. I live in the same city as Val. The city's safe but certainly quiet. I prefer Salt Lake's social scene to the local one (does it exist?).
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:46 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I live in Bermuda, off Shelly Bay Beach. Our house overlooks Shelly bay, and we have a great view of the reef sheltered Atlantic off the north shore of Bermuda. A short walk (~1.5 km) is the small town of Flatts Village. While our house is only about 15 meters from the water, running between our house and the water is North Shore road (booo hisss), but on the other side of that is the railway trail ... used to the be the railroad that connected the North and South and south ends of the Island ... but is now converted to a walking trail. And just beyond that is the water.

The beaches here (especially the South Shore beaches) are amoung the best in the world. Very dramatic, excellent sand, warm water. The vegitation is lush and green and plants flower pretty much year round.

Living on a teeny tiny island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean means tons of fresh air, and lots of out door activities. The diving and snorkeling are great, there are a surprising number of golf courses (not my bag of tea, thank you) lots of tennis courts. The road are a little narrow for biking, but the hiking is good. Boating is, of course, a major activity.

The social life is great ... the ex-pat community is made of (mostly) out going friendly types (they have to be somewhat adventurous, they changed countries ... if only for a few years), so making friends is extremely easy. The ex-pats come from all over ... from India to Scotland, from Argentina to Slovokia. The drama society puts on great shows, and there is a surpisingly large artist's community here.

The politics can be frustrating or funny ... depending on how you view it (I, personally find them hysterical).

Hamilton (where I work) is the major metropolis (recall the entire Island has a population of only ~60k) and has a small town feel despite being home to the world's third or maybe second, largest re-insurance market. I can not go for a walk to lunch with out meeting someone I know ... usually someone I've not seen for a while.

The only downside to living here that we've encountered so far is having good friends leave. It is very distressing to loose close buddies. For us this last summer was a particullarly painful one, in a span of 4 months we lost 5 couples that we were very close to. 2 went to Florida (even though one couple was Canadian), another to Australia, 1 to Scotland and 1 to London. The upside is that we now have really good friends living in far away places to visit!

All in all it is a very high quality of life ... if you can deal with the small town feel, good friends leaving the country, and high cost of living.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:06 pm
Mercenary
Helpful Friend
Helpful Friend

Maribor, Slovenia

A beatiful town which is chopped on two parts with a river (which was once clean - and now its not.) Its an ok town to live in since you've got almost everything right in front of you. And another thing that is great is town's size and country size all together. Its great because you can hang out with your friends and meet almost any time any day ... Even from other cities since you need around 4 hours to travel through the whole country from east to west. We don't have any special holidays .. but we also have no thanksgiving and no haloween. Maybe the closest thing to haloween is "Pust" at which people dress up in costumes and party around the city. Slovenia is otherwise a very nice country and it has almost too much things for its size. We have mountains, plains, sea, coast (), forests, caves, almost everything (except the rainforest and volcano) Its a beatiful place to live in and I wouldn't live anywhere else at the moment. There are a few landmarks but probably the most known is the oldest winetree (wineyard (sp?)) on the world.

-=Captain of Militia of RPGDot Shadows=-
-=Leader of Mercenaries of Gothic Rogues=-
-=Proud member of NFG=-
-=Forever one soul of Seekers of Chromanin=-
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:53 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Pardubice, Czech Republic

I like this town. The population is about 100 000, so it's just the size I like. We have university here and so there are many pubs, parties, theathers..., which is good.
I like Czech Republic. 15 years after the end of communist era there are still things that need to be changed. But we live in democracy, we can travel, thing and say what we want. Only people who know that this is not automatic, know that it's really important.
Though I like it here, I'm starting to feel uncomfortable and I'm thinking where to move for several years to get new experiences and to meet knew people with different "life-style". I really love sea, so I suppose I'll move somewhere nearer to it. However the most important thing will be where I can get job and which country will be able to accept me for several yours without too much administration problems.
Post Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:37 am
corwin

Sorry I can't swap Piln, but I know the Leeds area well having been born in Bradford. You'll just have to escape like I did!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:30 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
...I know the Leeds area well having been born in Bradford.

Wow! I never knew that. Small world, as they say. I judge from your emoticon that you do not yearn to return! Most of my mates in and around Leeds come from Bingley, I wonder if that name rings a bell? So how long did you live in Bradford for?
Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:29 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next