45%
 45%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 22

Author Thread
X_805
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Eastern influences in RPGs

Do you like RPGs with eastern (Japan, China, etc...) influences in them or not? I personally do not care for RPGs with a lot of eastern influences in them.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:28 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Modern CRPGs from the east seem to be stuck in a mold of little childern looks, and mellodramic roles for characters. Some of these titles I still enjoy, but it has long become a cliche. Lineage was not that enjoyable when I tryied it because it seemed like a 'clunky' UO engine, the style of the game never had a chance to change my mind. I love the the eastern setting in pen and paper role playing games (loved the 1st ed OA D&D book, which I still have). There is alot of political intrugue, and cool classes like the ninja and wu-jin, plus spirit kin. Few CRPGs, like Wizardery 8, have those eastern classes. The eastern influence has had a great showing in the U.S. over the last 10 years, but most have some science fiction in them, which I dont care much for. Does work well in some games, i prefer medivel fantasy though.
LB
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:53 am
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I absolutely adore Eastern architecture and character art.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:57 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I prefer the Arthurian, European and AD&D settings. I don't like CRPG's set in the east, the milieu doesn't interest me; same with 'anime.'
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:49 am
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Like Sir Markus I like typical medieval settings in RPGs. I'm currently enjoying Gothic 2 again, which is just perfect. I don't like D&D too much though, it's a bit overdone...

Be that as it may, I love Eastern fantasy, especially swordsplay movies. They're very magical, in an (of course) oriental and mystical sort of way. Think of fireworks.
Swordsman, A Chinese Ghost Story, Bride With White Hair, Legend of Zu, and many more. The last two more widely known examples were probably Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero. They tend to have lots of lighting and shadow effects, flying silk, and they are a really nice genre mix of Adventure, Drama, Action, Fantasy and Romance.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:41 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I hate it. Neither the art or the settings interest me at all - but that's just my personal taste.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:13 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

I like eastern influence. I however don't like certain Japanese type of animation...stuff that looks cuddly and cute like chibi and stuff.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:04 am
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Depends which East we're talking about. I like Arabian settings (ala Quest for Glory 2) quite a bit, though I prefer medieval European style settings. Anything oriental I avoid like the plague. Not my style.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:37 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I would love to see a well done psuedo historical CRPG based in Japan ... however, if it is designed correctly it would be almost impossible to play, at least at the start. A person steeped in western culture (like myself) would have a very rough time figuring out the ground rules that would be easier to figure out coming from a different background.

eg: When the king rides out of the palace in a fuedal setting based in the west the peasants can gawk all they want. In shogunate Japan that is a form of suicide. To see a royal personage with out permission is to die. Literally.

While learning the ground rules would be frustrating, I would enjoy the learning experinece.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:37 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I don't mind eastern elements in CRPGs, as long as they're made to fit the style of the game. I liked BG2 eastern Amnish stuff. On the other hand, once one of my PnP players brought D&D Oriental Adventures supplement and offered to play on its basis. I studied the damned thing through, but... nope, it's just not my cup of tea. We never played in Oriental setting so far. Maybe I should find a master who does and try it as a player...

Hmmm... In fact I also liked RTS called "Battle Realms". It was a pseudo-Japanese anime style strategy. I though it was cool. Normally I don't like anime style games, but it was just so very stylish. Couldn't help playing. I believe that it has a better balance than Warcraft III, and I even like graphics somewhat better.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:48 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I tried out the Oriental Adventures for D&D back in the 80's "ninja craze" period, and thought it was pretty fun. Especially since everyone was just dying to be a ninja. But anything far Eastern themed in the electronic gaming world seems to be sorely lacking any depth. Pure hack-and-slash-a-million-of-the-same-enemies, atrocious "Charlie Chan" style Engrish voice-overs, and a few different models of roofs and Ming trees. I have never really looked into Lineage at all tho, maybe Im all wet on that one, but all the rest Ive seen have been the same. Would like to see something like a feudal Samurai RPG, that would be very interesting and a definite change. I have no doubt at all that this concept or something similar will come about sooner or later, and i purrsonally would enjoy it greatly methinks =]

Here is an interesting piece on a battle between a Knight and a Samurai, comparing armor types etc, very interesting-
http://www.thehaca.com/essays/knightvs.htm

quote:
The Medieval European Knight vs.
The Feudal Japanese Samurai

By J. Clements

From time to time it is interesting to ponder the outcome of an encounter between two of histories most formidable and highly skilled warriors: the Medieval European knight and the feudal Japanese samurai. The thought of “who would win” in an actual fight between these martial experts of such dissimilar methods is intriguing. Who would emerge victorious or who was historically the better fighter is a question occasionally raised, but it is really a moot question. In the case of comparing a knight to a samurai, each warrior used armor, weapons, and methods oriented towards the particular opponents of their day and age. Therefore, neither can be looked upon as being universally more effective under all conditions against all manner of opponents. In one sense, it is like asking who are better soldiers, jungle fighters or ski troops? It depends upon the situation and the environment. Still, it’s an interesting encounter to consider. Having some small experience in the methods and weaponry of each, as well as a few cross-training opportunities, I offer my humble thoughts on the matter...

http://www.thehaca.com/essays/knightvs.htm
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:55 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

If it has to be fantasy, it needs to be either dark, gritty and mean to please me, absurd, or anime/Eastern (as long as it's not Arabian in flavor). Meaning, a generic 'high fantasy' pointy-hatted-wizard-plus-elves-plus-dwarfes setting can be enough to turn me off a game. Of all the AD&D settings, my favorites were Oriental Adventures, the later Dark Sun and Planescape. I couldn't stand Forgotten Realms at all.
Generally speaking, Twilight:2000 is more my style in RPGs.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:49 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I like anime more than I like eastern settings in games. Anime that relies heavily on eastern culture to understand the nuances of character interaction generally gets a 'next' from me, though. If I don't get why a woman doing this is impossible, incredible, unheard of, something remarkable then I miss the point of a series.

As far as eastern goes, I much prefer middle eastern settings in CRPGs. Deserts and desert cultures, spiritual overtones, etc. Far eastern culture is just as rich, of course, but I prefer middle. I'd rather visit Egypt or watch The Mummy than visit Japan or watch Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon (which was a good movie).

I don't play oriental characters much in RPGs or CRPGs, though I certainly don't mind when they show up. I liked the Japan levels in Deus Ex so the presence of eastern settings certainly doesn't turn me off a game in the slightest.

No more ninja or samurai though. I think people can play ninja successfully and seriously but it occurs so rarely (most people play them to 'flip out and kill anyone' - see www.realultimatepower.net for details) that it would be best for game developers to avoid them for a while.

ps: and if you do go to that site... uh... don't read the hate mail if you're allergic to swear words, etc.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:00 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
I liked the Japan levels in Deus Ex

I remember Hong Kong levels...
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:25 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Although not realy an RPG, I think the stealthy Samurai games on the PS1 were a very good example of how to do an eastern setting well.

I havent ever realy seen a serious RPG do eastern settings well at all. All the console RPG's (which are obviously almost all eastern set) are kind of off the wall (Which I like in my console games).
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:43 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next