Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
MMORPG Combat vs. Gothic 2 Combat? Please Explain...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

MMORPG Combat vs. Gothic 2 Combat? Please Explain...

I was hoping someone could help me out here. I was asking a bunch of combat questions about MMO's in a news thread but that's too offtopic for that location so I'll ask it here.

I've never played an MMO but I've been getting interested. I was under the impression that MMO's are typically NOT player skill based (or twitch factor) in combat - but rather stat based. Dungeons and Dragons Online was (to my understanding), the first MMO to offer any real twitch combat. The thing is, I compare every 3rd person game that comes out (whether MMO or not) to Gothic 2 because I loved the melee twitch based combat in that game and I want more.

To anyone who has played Gothic 2 or perhaps Severance (Blade of Darkness), are there any MMO's that offer true twitch based combat that includes things like block and parry and strafe and swing combos? I really don't enjoy playing spectator in games unless its isometric. For example, I'm playing NWN right now online and I'm starting to get really bored. I wan't to take control so badly but of course I can't. For me that's the worse possible control model, even taking away WASD for movement.

Finally, the MMO's out now like Everquest II look fantastic (environmentally) but I just can't get a good description of what its like to fight. The only thing I've heard is that its "click click click" and some say its boring but that is frustratingly non descriptive. What about Guild Wars? WoW? How truly twitch based is DDO? All compared to Gothic 2???

Thanks for any help!
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:51 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

So I read some reviews of Lineage II and Everquest II and the combat sounds pretty much auto pilot. What a shame. Imagine the kind of single player game they could make with a graphics engine and existing art assets from Lineage II.

Bummer.
Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:23 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

DDO is like 100% twitch. You can like block and everything dude. You can even tumble left or even right. Moving is important!! Combat is awesome! Twitch is awesome.
Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:43 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I might be tempted by DDO. I really don't understand why more MMO's arent twitch based. I wonder about that new "Age of Conan" MMO in development. I heard it has a huge Single Player component as well.

But this scam of the monthly fee thing... Ugh.
Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:46 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Call me a cynic, but I cannot get excited about any game with a monthly fee that has a progressively-lengthening reward cycle.
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:05 am
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

for WoW its mainly using your powers then actuall hack n slash you dont have the control that oyu have in gothic but at least its more like(you have wasd and like that)
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:49 am
Morning.LemoN
Village Leader
Village Leader

I have to agree with cfmdobbie and you should also take into consideration that whether you like it or not MMO's turn out to be more addictive than you think..

Was a player of DaoC...quite some skill needed in that game for RvR.
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:25 pm