Guild Wars: Review @ KillerBetties
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

Guild Wars: Review @ KillerBetties

KillerBetties' Luisa Rositano reveals her remarkably rave <a href="http://www.killerbetties.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=471&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0" target="_blank">review</a> for NCSoft's highly praised MMORPG, Guild Wars, for which Luisa awards an overall 5 out of 5 star rating... <br> <br><blockquote><em>As with most of the game, the controls are both beginner and advanced user-friendly. It’s a point and click set up for movement (or use the arrow keys) which is fairly similar to Diablo. Skills are easily set to numbers, most options can be toggled on or off – i.e. running, and, also like Diablo, and to attack is to click on a foe. These shortcuts can be completely customised for the discerning player who prefers a different layout. The view the player has of the game has two extremes – third person far above the character and first person, seeing as they character would see. Any position between these two extremes can easily be reached. <br> <br>Guild Wars is a revolutionary game, and especially so because it is a MMORPG that allows players to completely customise their players. Age of Empires can be considered the landmark of strategy games, (i.e. one of the “best” and most well-known) and it should be clear that Guild Wars is a strong competitor for becoming the landmark of MMORPG games. Be warned, it is addictive.</em></blockquote>
Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:35 pm
eNTi
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

boring?

i've played the game for about 20 minutes until it reminded me so heavily on diablo2 that i just couldn't fight the boredom any longer. who the fuck wants a beautiful landscape scarred with dozens of "worms" dropping "magical hammers" and the like? i mean, COMMON...

no the damn game is not that good... it's just hyped to the max, even now and i'm glad i just tried it out via the account of a friend. try it but don't expect too much.
Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:38 pm
Hedek
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: boring?

quote:
Originally posted by eNTi
i've played the game for about 20 minutes until it reminded me so heavily on diablo2 that i just couldn't fight the boredom any longer. who the fuck wants a beautiful landscape scarred with dozens of "worms" dropping "magical hammers" and the like? i mean, COMMON...

no the damn game is not that good... it's just hyped to the max, even now and i'm glad i just tried it out via the account of a friend. try it but don't expect too much.

Your comment is probably very fair and true for what you've played of Guild Wars : "a fairy tale landscape with worms dropping magical hammers". The thing is there's a lot more about this game than what you've described. What you've described is actually just the tutorial, the actual game is very different and the later missions (which start after about 2h of play from the starting area you described) you embark on are much less boring, with an epic story than spans through many very different areas, with twists, heros, sore losses, drama, invasion, escapes and all the like, in game cut-scenes with voice-over, etc. And even then, this whole 20+ missions PvE isn't the best thing about Guild Wars : the best fun and true beauty of this game is the PvP : fast furious, no waiting, no wandering around in empty areas until you meet an enemy team (like in DAoC), truly strategy and team-play based, etc. The game becomes even more once you find a good guild and use voice chat programs such as Team Speak or Vent and experience true "squad based tactical action game that's actually based on a fully fledged RPG system".

At this point and following your comment, my main complain about GW to Arena Net (the developer) is their apparent failure to interest and show the players what this game is all about from the first 2 hours of play. Unless you have a friend that's been playing it for a while there's no way you can suspect what's to come beyond this "heaven like Ascalon country side".

Yep Guild Wars is a total failure at catching the attention of new players and let them know the beauty of this game. I *knew* its beauty because I played since the very begining of the beta back when there was basically no PvE because the areas and the story were not yet created so all we did was this furious PvP. Of course if PvP is not your thing, or you're more of a "PvE guy" I really don't recommend Guild Wars .

If you do like PvP, may I recommend you create a PvP character (directly lvl 20, fully equiped character) and try some Competition Arenas ? You'll probably lose most of the time because you'll very few spells/skills and of course very little experience but it'll give you an idea. I guess.
Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:44 pm