Usergroups
Gothic 3 release
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I've read something about Die Guilde 2 too, but the good thing is that we know as much of G3 as of Die Guilde 2.

Conclusion: Everybody knows something but nobody knows what is true or isn't allowed to tell us.
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:44 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The same graphics engine was licensed for both "Die Gilde 2" and "Gothic 3" .
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:33 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"the id engines and their derivates (Source included) are known for eye candy but not for huge levels."

Yeah there is no way id engine could do an outdoor level, besides how many detailed gray cave would anyone want to look at
I did not know Source was based on id engine, in fact I think that might be incorrect info.
Since Source was made from scratch, is made up of mostly former Microsoft employees and an has no former id employees working for them I am guessing that could not be, well as far as I have ever heard.

"I'm not free to tell you"

Ok, thou I have never heard of Die Gilde 2 was this or Die Gilde a fun game?
From what I could tell in the translation is it like Medieval Sims ?
I didnt see any weapons or monsters at least in the screenshots.

"with an imported engine (sth like Havok"

I heard that somewhere too about Physics engine, I will look at this EmotFX you mentioned, thanks

"we know as much of G3 as of Die Guilde 2"

Is this Die Guilde 2, something you guys are looking forward to like G3 or more/less, as G3 is proabaly my most anticapated game?

Good and intresting info.
I had just guessed Source since JoWood was struggling and seemed cost effective/benifical financially to try to save money on engines.
Thou it is a little sad PB is spending all that extra time working on and engine instead of great game play/depth.
Not to mention that Source has huge very detailed levels and best facial at least I have seen. if you have seen better please offer a name as I would like to see it very much.
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:55 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Source is not based on any recent id engine AFAIK, but it's the successor to the HL engine which was a heavily modified Quake 1- engine. It was made from scratch like you said.
Die Gilde is a simulation game.
Nowadays graphics engines are more like basic packages with interfaces for plugin engines (like physics engines); the most versatile graphics engines are genre- and platform- spanning... for example, one and the same graphics engine was used in Dark Age of Camelot, Panzer General 3D and scores of parlor games.
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:40 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius
Thou it is a little sad PB is spending all that extra time working on and engine instead of great game play/depth.

I think they have time for both. They are already working on it since the English version of NotR was finished, which is almost 1,5 years ago.
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:04 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

What I heard was that Gothic 3 was using the Gamebyro engine, which is the same one being used in Freedom Force 2.

But like many have said before, I think they are using the most bare-bones part of the engine (probably just the renderer, which figures out what exactly to draw and sends it to the graphics card). Many other custom systems are being developed in house.

Man I can't wait to see that first screenshot ... that first bit of real, official info that comes out about this game. It will almost be as good as getting the game itself cause then we'll have loads of stuff to contemplate and talk about while we wait for the release.

We need these forums to get busy again!!!
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:29 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Yes, both The Guild 2 and Gothic 3 use the Gamebryo engine. Itīs a flexible multi-platform toolset with more than 70 released games including Morrowind, DAoC, Sid Meierīs Pirates, Ski Racing 2005 and, I think, Pro Evolution Soccer 3. Another 50 games are still in development.
http://www.gamebryo.com/customers-overview.cfm

The Guild is a mix between a medieval trade sim and a political game. Your char has stats and can run for mayor, etc. . The big problem was that the game had serious bug issues which were never completely resolved. Hereīs a review.
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:11 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

ok i didnt really have time to read all this through so maybe the rumor about G III useing source engin has been sunk
and i hope it has cuz if G III is going HL2 style i will not buy it ..
first of all HL2 killed my comp the first time i played it and i had to buy a new one
and second HL2's graf style wouldnt fit Gothic very well
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:35 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"Yes, both The Guild 2 and Gothic 3"

Ok thanks, dont really know much about that engine/toolset, will keep an eye out now.
Im sure it will be good, I have played Morrowind from your list, yet to me it is quite dated, thou graphics are never/rarely state of art for RPGs.
I just wished for seeing the beautful geography created by PB with a truly state of the art engine.
The water for example in Morrowind was very good but doesnt come close to Source.
I could see having my breath taken away at seeing some of those great waterfall areas PB has done with incredable water from Source

"first of all HL2 killed my comp the first time i played it and i had to buy a new one "

Let me get this strait, you are blaming HL2 for killing your computer, when it has been shown to be one of the most versital engines around even able to run on little more than a 1 gig machine, even able to scale back to DX7 & DX8?
Maybe your confused

"HL2's graf style wouldnt fit Gothic very well"

Has the best looking graphics, best physics and best facial expression of any game ever to date judged countless (more than 30) International Game Press organazations.
Why would you think if PB was using Source they would be forced to make the charaters look like HL2, are you just not familar with modeling and Art?

Another thing that concerns me is I remember that Morrowind had lots of technical problems and did not run all that great serious problems when many charaters were on screen and in inhabated areas like towns, which would be a shame to have happen to G3.
Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:30 am
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

i am not confused about hl2 killing my comp
first time i played it the thing froze up complitely after exiting the game
i did that for a while and then one day it didnt freez up it just crashed and when i tryed to turn it on again nothing came on the screen .. im pretty good whit computers and i did everything possible to get it working but nothing help
it even burned out one of my hard drives

and about the graf .. i know the source engin looks great .. but good grafik doesnt mean great games .. most of the time when game dev's improve the grafik they either forget the game play or let the grafik over shadow the game it self .. maybe its just me but it seems that this happened to HL2 aswell .. it just doesnt have the same mind twisting aspect as its predesessor

but hopefully pb will still manage to keep their great game style if they are indeed gonna use a source/home made hybrid engin ..

but if you ask me they might as well keep the graf style from Gothic I or II

btw i do know something about moding, programing and alike ... im just not one of thoses nerd types who spend all day at a net cafe and can tell the kodeing of a game engin from a screenshot
Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:09 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"i am not confused about hl2 killing my comp "

Well I am sure that sucked to have happen, thou honestly never heard of a game killing a computer.

"good grafik doesnt mean great games "
"but if you ask me they might as well keep the graf style from Gothic I or II "

I agree, I just meant cause they would use one engine versus another would not force them to change styles of art.

"btw i do know something about moding, programing and alike"

You probably know more than I then and so it should not matter what engine they use, but I imagine that PBs priority was finding an engine that allowed PB to continue to use the tools/modeling programs they were comfortable with allowing them to build on their vision of G3.

Thou I disagree that there would be something limiting or harmful to Gothic world if Source was used, not to mention the possibleity of having Multplayer if Source was used. O_O
Just thinking about having a nice 4 person Coopertive game in Gothic world would be FREAKing Great
I wish Gothic 1 and 2 had 4 person Coop now
I have seen 2 distinctly different styles of the Source when I look at Hl2 and I look at Bloodlines (thou buggy/rushed), also if AF2 is using Source that would be a third since it uses a medievl type theme.
Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:42 am
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

well i trust that pb will stick to the gothic style as much as possible .. thats just one of the good things about germans .. most of them knows what qullity means
Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:54 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

A bit offtopic, but when you mentioned quality, yes they'll sure know that!

I visited Berlin 2 years ago and i've gotta say germans know how treat customers.Never have i experiened such a natural kindness from the waiter, like did in that one particular restaurant.

If you'll ever go to Germany i'll recommand eating some goose.The best poultry dish in my life.And yeah the red wine was just perfect too...Hell the whole evening was just perfect.Later in that very evening me and my friends went to some pub called 100 beers or something.. but i'll guess this goes a bit too offtopic .
Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:45 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Dez
Never have i experiened such a natural kindness from the waiter, like did in that one particular restaurant.

I guess you were lucky then !

As for engines, Gamebryo was NetImmerse; it's a versatile engine suited to a whole lot of types of games (Dark Age of Camelot, Panzer General, Morrowind, several Point-and-Click adventures, it will be used in Civ IV...). As Acleacious pointed out, it's not as if a game's engine said anything about a game's looks; the engines are just tool sets which define the way graphics are rendered, AI is handled etc., and what's possible. Gamebryo/NetImmerse may not be the freshest of engines, but according to devs it's well-suited for handling complex AI, stream-loading and astronomical drawing distances, something no shooter engine could provide at the time.
Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:22 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's not about how the game looks. It's about how the game FEELS. I can't tell you what Gothic feels like, but you all know the feeling. The question isn't whether G3 will look good or not - it will, all state-of-the-art games do, but whether or not PB manages to create that great Gothic feeling.

It is very easy to say that "we trust PB to do the right thing", but I know plenty of sequals that have been ruined because they needed new graphics. Completely ruined the feeling in the game.

That is also why so many people still prefer HL to HL2. It hasn't got anything to do with plot, gameplay, graphics, weapon etc.. HL2 is basically better on everything. It just doesn't have the same feeling that the very hardcore gamers are used to - that's why most people prefer HL2, but the hardcore ones still prefer the old HL.

The same is happening with Gothic. The oldest, and most hardcore Gothic fans now prefer Gothic 1 to Gothic 2. It looks the same, it sounds the same, but for some reason it just doesn't feel exactly the same. Most "common" players, however, prefer G2 because it's bigger and better really.

I should know, I'm pretty hardcore when it comes to Gothic, and even though I like G2 almost as much as G1, I fear that the feeling might fade away even more in G3. So even if the graphics are stunning, the sound/music is absoluttely amazing, and the world/plot is fantastic, I may still be dissappointed, because I am expecting something that feels just like the old Gothic.

Oh well, this is probably just the ramblings of a pessimistic loon. The game will probably be brilliant.

On a sidenote, Lady? You should try splitting up your posts a bit so people reading through the forums early in the morning(cough cough) could have a chance to read your posts(because what you say is reasonable).
Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:48 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next