One Giant Leap for Mankind
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

One Giant Leap for Mankind

On July 20, 1969 humans first walked on the Moon and changed history forever. Today is the 35th Anniversary of the first Moon landing.
Nasa's Apollo 11 website

With recent development in commercial spacecraft, what are your thoughts on the future of space travel and the possiblity of colonies on other planets and the Moon?
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:05 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

With the progress of priviatized space programs, and if the whole Man-to-Mars mission really kicks off, there could be some real leaps in spacetravel in the years to come.
Then perhaps we can start researching Wormhole or SpaceWarp travel, for traveling to hospitable worlds.

That is, if time doesn't run out.
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:33 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

What bugs me about space flight is the counter-argument that its detractors always use. "With so many people starving in the world, how can we think of spending all that money on space travel?"

The most expensive estimate of putting a man on Mars is $11 billion. A single B-2 bomber costs $2.2 billion and US military spends an estimated $30 billion a year on "black projects" that nobody knows about (or is not allowed to know about). If US military were to suspend or redirect its research efforts alone for one single year, we could possibly establish a fully functioning city on the Moon, along with a thriving population of several thousands of people.

And that's only US military. Now imagine if China, India and Europe jumped on the bandwagon too.

*sigh* I guess bombing hungry people into submission is more important.
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:24 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Now here's something you don't see every day. Hexy has the most positive reply.
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:33 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Before going to Mars, I believe we'll need to establish a moon base. I don't know how much this would cost. I imagine its primary purpose would be research and testing, at first, then perhaps in several years or possibly decades, expand to include lunar mining and further development of colonies. From there, we move onto Mars as technology and capabilities progress. Honestly, I am more interested in how we will push the frontiers of technology and science to reach our goals and how these will ultimately benefit the world. It is not only important for people to dream, but also to make dreams reality.
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:35 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Bush was being an idiot when he suggested that we go to Mars ASAP. All the astronauts on the mission would die. We're not ready to go to Mars; we don't have the technology. NASA is way behind where they thought they'd be with space travel technology by now. In the 1970s, NASA thought they would have runway takeoff space shuttles by now. I think we should take this one step at a time, as trying to take too many steps at once probably will result in us falling down the staircase of space travel.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:36 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I would echo the sentiment that advancing knowledge and pushing boundaries is important to mankind. Throughout history we have explored new lands and searched out new opportunities - time to continue that in space (I'll avoid "final frontier jokes...oops!).
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:42 pm
|comy|
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

First things first ! ( sry for off topic ) If the people of America know whats good for them, they will not vote for Bush. I simply can't understand how can people vote for him ?!
First he wins the elections by illegal means, then few months later, he haves himself a war, followed by another one in Iraq, which for me was a crime. You simply cant attack a nation because you say : Hey ! You have weapons of mass destruction. You have to be stopped. or : We must overthrown the evil evil dictator. So you go to war without approval of the UN... And whats best of all, the reason for the war turns out to be false, cause they couldn't find one weapon of mass destruction... Ok i'm being a little off topic, but anyway.
I see another irony here. America feels so, I dunno what, endangered if a thirld world country ( or not ) "has" weapons of mass destruction, but if they look at their own backyard, they would see that they have by far the largest quantities of these weapons i.e. nukes.
OK I got off my chest what was bothering me, so I can continue to this topic.

I support space travel, but on the other hand, we cant handle things here on earth, so whats the point in ( in the long term ) trying to settle other plantes like mars or somthing like that. Only more troubles.
just a silence gone bad
something I will never hide
this urging need to

invite the darkside in
into my haven
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:11 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by |comy|
Political rant...

bla bla bla....

Whatever! *In a Valley Girl Accent*
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:28 pm
|comy|
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Its OK to dissagree, but please do tell WHY... So you can convince me otherwise perhaps.
just a silence gone bad
something I will never hide
this urging need to

invite the darkside in
into my haven
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:36 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Oh God no!

We will just be here all day. I never argue politics. Its like religeon, you cant convince anyone of anything...
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:20 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

I wouldn't put too much hope in NASA, but more in privatized or international spaceprograms.

quote:

Hexy has the most positive reply.

Actually, that was by my evil bizarro-world twin.

quote:

We will just be here all day. I never argue politics. Its like religeon, you cant convince anyone of anything...

No, apparently Chekote doesn't even argue or discuss the topic of the thread.

quote:

First he wins the elections by illegal means, then few months later,

Haven't you heard the news? They're thinking about scrapping that tedious election process altogether! Bin Laden has suddenly (some whacky conspiracy theorists would say conveniently) risen from the ashes...
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:57 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I don't argue politics because I don't care. I'm not american. it doesn't matter who is in the White House... I'm happy to throw my support behind humanity exploring the stars without being particularly attached to any one agency. I don't care if the US, Russia, China, Iraq, Zimbabwe, Austrailia, or Iceland build a base on the moon or reaches Mars first as long as a base on the moon gets built and Mars gets reached.

If the US wants to be first like it was to the moon that's up to it's people and administration. It has no bearing on mankind's ability to achieve space goals.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:12 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
No, apparently Chekote doesn't even argue or discuss the topic of the thread.

Whats that supposed to mean? I was replying to something someone said in the thread. I wasnt the one who de-railed the topic...
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:34 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Space exploration is indeed important, knowing more about our universe is a key to unlocking some of the more elusive mysteries of our own planet and it's own history. How can you not be curious about what's out there?

On the other hand, a great many technological advances have come about as the result of man's space endeavors. Things we take for granted today such as satellites, semiconductor and x-ray technology used in many medical devices, and even mundane creations like scratch-proof lenses, super-coolants and lubricants are a direct result of NASA experimentation. As far as alternative fuel research goes, nobody has done more work on solar power and fuel cells than NASA. It also gives I think, an area which most nations can agree on to cooperate, as shown with the international space station.

There are obviously going to be many on the conspiracy front that argue such nonsense that the mars mission was actually filmed in Arizona for political points, or the rover is just a Halliburton drone out looking for mars oil. Or undoubtably the defeatist mantra that says that all is horrible on earth, so there is no sense in space exploration when funds can be spent otherwise. In all reality these are political problems, not a lack of technological advancement or funding here on earth, and I think common sense will win out and keep us headed onward and upward. The space station is but the first example of experimental space colonization, but I dont think colonization is the primary goal of space travel. We know the moon is a huge rock, and that's that. We need to know what lies beyond a metal shack on the moon, and that can only come with further exploration.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:03 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next