RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Deathbliss
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Image corruption in the distance:

Here's a pic showing what I'm talking about:
http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~nucleus/smallfiles/garbledscreen4.zip

Basically I got this with my last card too - an Nvidia that time. This time it's my brand new Radeon 9600XT. I'm running on Windows XP Pro with 512 megs of RAM and every setting I can find with the driver config and Rage 3D set to quality. I was wondering if a fix was around to fix this issue, and if not what settings I should have set to stop it.

Thank you -
- Deathbliss

Evolution is just further proof of the fact,
That mankind is willing to believe in anything,
As long as it doesn't have to believe in God.
Post Mon May 10, 2004 8:00 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Deathbliss,

I have studied your pic' and my first impression is that it is o.k. - - - -
I have found in many games, for the "perspective" to fade away into the distance, as the pc-hero is only (normally) dealing with the local vicinity.
however, i must admit that some players like to see the graphical detail almost to infinity, (like i do!). Some older graphics/video cards are not able to do this, your card should have no problems with this (normally, if other p.c settings are o.k)
Have you tried ajusting the visual range setting in the game menu?
At a setting of 300 you should see 2/3 miles into the distance, whereas a setting of say, 40 will give you about 200 metres before "misting".
there are also other ajustments that can be "set" in the Gothic.ini file and there are some info's next to the settings, but rather than too much fiddling,
should you not have much luck, you could try downloading the "Shakeycam"
file which is listed as a mod, i have tried this and the graphical distance is greatly enhanced by default, but, the downside, if i remember correctly, is that highlighted info in the game is "missing"

Post Mon May 10, 2004 10:46 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

The snapshot looks pretty normal to me... The missing forest top is nothing to be stressed about. It's just that you need to take in account that Gothic engine is quite old, and specific in it's way of displaying enviroment. You will probably understand what I'm talking about if you set the color depth to 16 and walk through a forest - this way you will clearly see that, beyond a certain range, things aren't what they're supposed to be.
Post Mon May 10, 2004 11:34 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The screenshot looks normal. Read the FAQ in the cheat guide and search for 'fps patch' if you want to find out how to optimize the game. 400% distance and 60 fps are possible.
Post Mon May 10, 2004 9:13 pm
Deathbliss
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

No no no...

I guess you guys can't see what I was talking about so I will explain... Basically where that village is - the roofs of the houses - there's a broken miror effect going on there. Everything moves and looks like a bunch of broken peices stacked together. If that's normal then I guess I'll just have to deal. But if I can fix it I'd sure love to. Hey and do you have a link to that ShakyCam mod?

Thank you for your replies and help so far -
- Deathbliss

Post Tue May 11, 2004 4:46 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

That's exactly how it should look... Have you tried my experiment yet?
Post Tue May 11, 2004 8:07 am
Deathbliss
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Havn't tried it yet - busy getting other things fixed...

I'm trying, and failing miserably, to get some method of taking screenshots in-game of Gothic 2 going - but it over-rides somehow both of the programs I've tried. I hate to spoil your fun, but why don't you just tell me what happens -
- Deathbliss

Post Tue May 11, 2004 9:20 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Deathbliss,

I do understand what you mean, it does not show up well in your pic/shot,
the Gothic link on these forums will take you to the shakeycam mod download,
look under, gallery/specials, i'm also not sure if the 1.08k patch (for earlier radeons) may help.
Screenshots in G2? - - pressing keyboard/print will send the screen capture/data to the clipboard, then "save-as"
Post Tue May 11, 2004 10:15 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

It wasn't for the sake of fun, but for the sake of curiosity. You would notice something similar to your current observation, although it is the most extreeme in the woods. You would find out that you are actually standing in a polygon, and the stuff surrounding you seizes to be objects in the far, but rather just sprites splattered on the sides of the polygon.

As for the screenshots, I used SnagIt version 6. It is shareware, though, so you only get to use it for about 20 days.
Post Tue May 11, 2004 10:20 am
Deathbliss
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well...

I didn't see anything in the FAQ for Gothic that covers increasing the view distance and framerate - did I miss something?

Yes, I know about PrintScreen but it' only a one shot at a time deal. I've tried both Gadwin PrintScreen and Power Grab and neither can take pictures in Gothic 2. Print Screen still works, and the image gets saved to the clipboard. But both programs fail to work. It's highly annoying

I'm kinda tired so if I missed something I apologize. Thank you for your help so far - gonna try that shaley came thing -
- Deathbliss

Post Tue May 11, 2004 12:23 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Just a quick tip re:- screenshots.

As you will know in win/xp, left/ctrl combined with esc' will fetch you out of an application or game (whilst the game is still running) open clipboard and save,
then back into the game, (l/ctrl+esc) then another screenshot and so on and so on. works great for me with no superfluous tsr's running, "a clean machine"
if you know what i mean.
Post Tue May 11, 2004 12:35 pm
Deathbliss
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks but...

I'd much rather take shots in-game without any interruption. I do appreciate the tip though.

Hey and I'm not finding a link to the Shakey Cam mod anywhere...
- Deathbliss

Post Wed May 12, 2004 6:06 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

It really is easy to find,

Here's a copy and paste of the page:-

http://newspics.rpgdot.com/galview.php?level=3&sort=&from=0&d2=10&d3=Special&d4=&d5=

I found the garaphics much improved.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 9:03 am
Deathbliss
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks!

I'll start experiemneting with this now!

Thanks again!
- Deathbliss

Post Thu May 13, 2004 2:37 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The UO Screenshot Utility works very well with Gothic. It saves pics as uncompressed .bmp or as .jpg with adjustastable compression rate.

As for the other things ...
"How to improve graphics quality?
Type zhighqualityrender in the console. This sets the viewing distance to 400 and increases some other stuff. Only recommended for fast computers."
This was exactly where I said it could be found, on the FAQ page in the cheat guide.

Unlocking the frame rate is also on my list of things I won´t explain again. As suggested before you should feed the search engine if you want to know how to make the fps patch work.
Post Mon May 17, 2004 6:39 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next