First screenshot of Ultima X: Odyssey?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Lord_Darkmoon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

First screenshot of Ultima X: Odyssey?

UO Stratics has <a href="http://uo.stratics.com/news/GeneralNews.shtml#newsitem1058645268,47560," target="_blank">news</a> of a first <a href="http://uo.stratics.com/newspics/uxo_screen071903.jpg" target="_blank">screenshot</a> of Ultima X: Odyssey (UX:O), the mysterious new Ultima-game, Electronic Arts/Origin are working on at the moment. <br>The pic shows a fight - a mage and a fighter against a Medusa-like monster. As the robes of the mage show Britannic runes this seems to an authentic screenshot. <br>There are many rumors floating around the internet as to what this UX:O may be. Either a single-player sequel to Ultima IX, a small group multiplayer game like Neverwinter Nights, a new MMORPG or a 3D-client for Ultima Online. <br>The latest rumors suggest that UX:O may be more of an multiplayer online Fantasy-FPS, than an RPG... let's hope that those are just rumors and nothing more... <br>
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:36 pm
Corvwyn

If EA made an ultima FPS game I'd laugh at the sheer hopelessness of it. The graphics does look nice, we could only hope that it's an ultima. I wait with great anticipation until EA goes public with more info.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:40 pm

spock35
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

no amount of hype can win me over to ultima again, been let down to many times now.
show me a demo and wow me, is the only option.
screen shots, interviews, footage can never repair the letdown ultima has become.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:00 am
Sevia

I agree, EA can't fool us by slapping the Ultima name tag on a game. Poor Garriot must be crying in his sleep.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:10 am

TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Suspicious

I have to agree with the sentiment thus far.

Besides, didn't EA already kill origin and the ultima series?
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:55 am

If EA has any sense they wouldn't dare release an Ultima as a MMORPG.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:43 am

Lord_Darkmoon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Suspicious

quote:
Originally posted by Neptiofpovar
I have to agree with the sentiment thus far.

Besides, didn't EA already kill origin and the ultima series?

Yes, but they seem to be good at beating a horse they already killed some time ago...
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:11 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Hmm... I don't really want to defend EA (or maybe I do ) but wouldn't it be fair to consider a few things:

1) Did Origin (and Garriott in particular) have no other choice but to sell the company to EA when that EA rep came rushing through the front door with his cheque book? Isn't there greed on both sides in this story?
2) Isn't it true that Garriott seems to be very emotionally detached when it comes to talking about the Origin/Ultima days in interviews? Doesn't he usually say something along the lines of "Yeah, it was a fun time but there are points in life when you just got to move on and do something else and that's exactly what I did back then."?

Let's face it - it's very simple. Origin and EA made a deal back then. A deal that turned Garriott into an extremely rich person. It must have been more than predictable for Garriott as a gaming biz pro that selling his company to EA would eventually lead to serious arguments over the future goals of Origin. He must have known that he also sold his independence the day the deal was struck.
Same goes for Bullfrog, Westwood etc. - There's always two sides to these stories. It's not all about evil, greedy EA ruining the gaming biz. No company in the world is forced to sell its soul to a larger entity. They've all done it deliberately.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:42 am
Lord_Darkmoon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Of course there are always two sides to the story, but if you need the money and Garriott obviously did, you sometimes don't think about the consequences or you are not aware of them.
But I think there is no denying that nearly every great and innovative game from a company EA bought has been destroyed.
Ultima 8 and 9, Wing Commander, Crusader, Bard's Tale...
Freelancer showed that space-sim games can be successful, Bioware and Piranha Bytes show that single-player RPGs can be successful. But is EA using those great franchises they own?
They are not even selling the rights to them even as Chris Roberts wants to buy the rights of Wing Commander.
EA is just buying companies and destroying them. They are not even using the franchises!
No new Wing Commander or single-player Ultima, but those games could be successful and revive the old days, when quality and innovation in games mattered more than money.
EA is just creating the same games over and over again, for example EA Sports, the same games year after year...
Why are they not selling the franchises when they are not using them?
EA is one of those companies that seem to think that quality doesn't matter to make money.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:04 am
Raf
Arkane Master
Arkane Master

I have to disagree about EA not making quality games. Their games are not what we like the most for sure, but in term of polishing, production values, testing, etc : EA is absolutely #1. all I could complain about when I think of EA is : yes, they kill innovation and they encourage franchise and sequels. Also, they only go for 1 million seller, which makes them totally uncompatible with the single player RPG, instead they choose the no risk path by acquiring licesnes that can't fail such as 'Lord of the Rings' and 'harry potter'. But that's business, how sad it might be... The truth is : if hardcore RPGs could sell 4 M units, then no doubt EA would be doing Ultima 10 the way we'd like it to be.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:31 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Bleh

EA is good at cranking out games for mass audiences: sports games, FPS games and so on.

So why they went and bought origin, I have no idea... and I don't really see how Garriot can be blamed... maybe he was greedy, maybe he wasn't.

Bottom line, EA controls the copyright and EA ruined Ultima starting with Ultima 8 and their, 'we must create the widest possible demographic for maximum sales' marketing.

That's all fine and good, but don't mess with my hole in the wall mexican food restaurant and turn it into an El Toritos franchise.

Further, Ultima wasn't the only CRPG EA wringed the life out of (Lands of Lore, RIP). EA should stick to what it likes: mass market games that take a year or less to develop.

God I shudder at the thought of EA buying out the Gothic series /shudder
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:18 am

quote:
God I shudder at the thought of EA buying out the Gothic series /shudder

Hey hey hey..., don't scare me like that...
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:08 pm