Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
MM9 - Insane levelling tricks-spoilers inside!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Guest Dare

MM9 - Insane levelling tricks-spoilers inside!!

I thought it would be helpful to some if we started a list of quick levelling tips. Here are some that I have found, as well as any other general tips.

1) start all characters with the bow skill, this is important for general survival as well as key to most levelling tricks.

2) there is an area in Lindisfarne along the right side of the path leading out of the city that will allow you with a LOT of jumping and wiggling to climb into the peaks and up/over the mountains. Your not 'supposed' to be able to take this as a short-cut but it IS possible. (This is also a great shortcut to the monastary)
If you take your low level characters up here there is a small ledge at the top that will allow you to fire arrows down on some Armored Magreebs without them being able to hit you since they don't have a ranged attack. It takes a pretty long time to kill them with low skills but the experience and loot is some of the best I've found for such an early point in the game. And you can do this in real time mode which helps since there is no danger of counter attack. *One Warning* however, make sure you have at least one character that is able to cast town portal since you will be stuck on the other side of the mountain with no way back the way you came!!!!

3) Inventa Storca is a good place to start get nice items and excellent experience once your characters are in their late teens/early twenties. From the entrance go through the weakened wall on the left, kill the bats and head cautiously to the next room. There is usually a Lich King immediately to the left of the entrance so open the door and enter turn based mode, then take your steps towards him before he can attack. Use your first turn to cast turn undead. Now all you have to do is fill him full of arrows and refresh the Turn undead spell as needed. I found that jumping up on one of the tables helped because he will run behind objects a lot while trying to escape. Head cautiously through each of the rooms using this same tactic. You usually only have one Lich to contend with but there are a couple of rooms with 2 of them. Be careful of the traps!

4) Its been my experience that during the first part of the game up until you finish most of your promotions your party will live/die by your NPC hirelings. IMHO the most useful hireling is the mage from the tavern in Thjorgard. She casts poison cloud and elemental blast everytime you right-click on her turn. With this chic in your party you can take out almost anything that would normally wipe your party out. She is especially good against the Lichs in Inventa Storca as I mentioned above. It also helps if you aim her poison cloud for best effect. I have found that if you put your crosshairs midway between a Lich King's crotch and knees when your in melee range the poison cloud will stop drifting directly on top of the target and continue damaging it until the cloud is gone or the target is dead!!

5) Save all of the higher value amulets and rings you find that are not already enchanted. Once you get promoted to Priest, Mage, or Lich use the Master or GM level Enchant item spell on them. This will not only produce some seriously nice items but it will greatly increase their value which is a good way to make money. Besides, the game seems to skimp on giving rings and amulets as treasure so filling all those ring slots is hard to do sometimes.

That's a start, hoping to hear others idea's and tips!!!!
Post Fri May 10, 2002 11:31 am

Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

The turn undead and use a lot of arrows also works in the Chasm of the Dead. The loot from the spectres is not great, but the exp pts are very large for a party in the low teens.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 12:42 pm
Guest Dare

When creating a party you can neglect the Might statistic a little bit because there are many ways to permanently increase might throughout the game, but few ways to increase the other stats. Most of the barrels I've found have had red liquid (might) and the genie in the ruined temple seems to always give +10 to all characters might when you tell him to increase your stats.
I personally recommend giving them a bit more accuracy over might. I find that missing is the biggest problem I have currently. I have a character that is getting close to 100 might though so when she hits, she hits hard and makes up for the misses. It would be better to not hit as hard but hit more often though!

Another party creation tip that I've read somewhere else is to purposely leave out 2 skills because the old man in the starting city always gives you the books for them. I've forgotten exactly which two skills they are but I believe one of them was disarm trap. Maybe someone else can verify??
Post Fri May 10, 2002 3:35 pm

Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

You get disarm and ID Item at the start.

And you are very correct about the accuracy (but I knew that going in, it is much like 6-->8 that way). Even then, I still missed a lot.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 3:42 pm
Guest Dare

When faced with overwhelming odds, such as will happen if you undertake the Lich quest, try to make use of narrow passageways and doors to line the enemies up behind one another. This can be done by running for the spot once the beasts go aggresive on you.
This is handy in a couple of ways. First, it only allows a few creatures to hit you at once (although spells will still land). Second, it lines them up conveniently for the use of the Poison Cloud, and chain lightning spells . I would never have been able to survive the Lich Lab if it weren't for a wand of poison cloud that I had found!!

Divine Intervention is the only heal all spell in the priests spellbook!!! Learn it, use it, ABUSE IT!!! Its really kind of funny because a priest can learn heal, purify, regeneration, and divine intervention but a Lich can learn heal, purify, souldrinker, and death touch all of which heal at high spell levels. This make a Lich a better "healer" in general. Divine Intervention is really the only reason to make a priest over another spell caster... And mage can learn Divine Intervention also, so it makes one wonder why make a priest?

I recommend going through the trouble of getting at least one Lich in your party. The reason is for Pain Reflection, at grandmaster this spell affects the entire party at once (including NPC's) and returns 150% of all damage recieved. The damage returned is unresistable from what I've seen, and because it is amplified by the spell, monsters literally kill themselves everytime they do any damage to your party . You just can't beat that! This is also just about the only way to get past the 4 Occulus in the Lich Lab Transformer room because they have an attack that does hundreds of points of damage! But with Pain Reflection they do even more damage to themselves in one attack than I could do to them in an hour of just firing arrows! Of course, when I did this I had to cast Pain Reflection on each member seperately because I hadn't become a Lich yet and gotten GM dark . Once you get the GM version is should always be your lich's first spell in combat.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 7:43 am

Guest Dare

You can get to Yorwick MUCH easier and earlier in the game if you use this trick. You still have to be able to survive the trip through the tunnel but as soon as you exit on the other side just jump in the sea and immediately turn down and torwards the mountains. You will find yourself in the rendering engine and beneath the world, you will be able to breath just fine if you move up a little bit once your under the mountains. Then all you have to do is walk/swim a couple hundred feet to the village and swim as far up as you can then push the jump key. You will pop up in the village and you didn't have to fight a single bad guy. Then you can open the tunnel from that side and have yourself a shortcut through the tunnels. There is also rumored to be a spot in the mountain that will allow you to jump/wiggle your way up and over but I find the swimming trick much easier and faster. Oh, and its kind of obvious the designers either meant for this to be here or simply forgot to fix it because there are baskets of fruit on the ocean floor under one of the shops. Save before you try this as it is probably possible to get stuck although I've never had a problem. Also make sure you dont try to jump up under a tree/person/house/etc... If you do get stuck try using the crouch and jump keys as they always seem to work to unstick me when I get stuck on a mountain or under a fireplace wall.

If you want to open black chests in the early parts of the game but do not have the disarm skill to survive it you can try casting Elemental Aura on all members before opening the chest.
Elemental Aura acts similar to a damage shield for elemental based spells and it will absorb a set amount of damage from them. (it also returns damage to the caster in fights) So it will usually absorb enough of the damage from the trap that your team will survive, although just barely. The higher you get your spell level the better this will work. Just make sure you save before trying, I don't want you to come crying to me if you get killed because your spell level was to low!
Also handy could be resist death, and elemental protection, as they give increased resists to trap damage.

( I did not think of this one, I found it on another message board and have long since forgotten who posted it )
Post Sun May 12, 2002 1:50 pm

Guest Dare

Tired of worrying where your next meal will come from? Sick of being poor? Here's the tip for you!

In the Drangheim bank is a hireable NPC banker that boosts gold income by 20% but she says she will take 10% of all gold found as her fee. This doesn't sound very appetizing at first but go ahead and hire her. Then procede directly to the bank teller and deposit all of your gold.
Then without closing the banking window withdraw all of your gold. BOOM, instant gold!!!! Redeposit your now increased funds and promptly remove them again. MORE GOLD!!!! You don't even need to close the window, just deposit, withdraw, repeat, ad infinitum.
This is very slow going if you don't have much gold to start with but it should only take 5-10 minutes to millions of gold.

This trick is so useful that I keep the banker as one of my permanent NPC hirelings. And since Drangheim is the second city you'll come to this can be done extremely early in the game, thus allowing you to buy the best equipment your characters can use. And the best part is if you ever need more money you just make a quick stop at the bank and make a few withdrawals I also tend to keep a few hundred thousand in the bank that I do not touch so that I always have a jump start on the process when I need cash.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 7:48 am