Dungeon Lords: Review @ ActionTrip
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Dungeon Lords: Review @ ActionTrip

ActionTrip has smacked up a <a href="http://www.actiontrip.com/reviews/dungeonlords.phtml" target="_blank">review</a> of Heuristic's/DreamCatcher's action RPG 'Dungeon Lords'. Rating: 10%.<blockquote><em>Dungeon Lords is a fantasy action RPG by D.W. Bradley. That's one way of putting it. Another way would be to say that Dungeon Lords is a very sinister and subtle way for the Illuminati to screw with our minds and make us go insane. Seriously, is gaming about enduring games or enjoying them? If it's about enduring games, then either D.W. Bradley or myself have to get a gold medal. I've endured for long enough, and he's made me suffer for it like a true champion of producing games that make you suffer like a 2nd century Christian.</em></blockquote>
Post Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:46 am
Lannister
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

This must be one of the worst reviews ever written.
I am not quick in defending Dungeon Lords, because i think it is rather unfinished and unpolished , but this idiot of a reviewer blamed this game for his own stupidity in using the resurrect button over and over again.

How stupid can one human being be ? This review is ridiculous....

L.
Post Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:51 am
Priest4hire
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

"How stupid can one human being be ?"

If you have to ask you are not prepared to know the answer.

That said the review was rather weak. Not the worst review I've ever read but certainly it was sub-par for something passing itself off as a anything resembling a professional review. To think I have managed to reach level 18 so far and have not once done a stat reducing res. I found that simply turning the encounters down at the beginning and then turning them up later on makes a big difference. These days I find the combat is pretty easy and the 100+ regular and extra strength healing potions (not a singe one purchased) can attest to that.

Grammaton Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Post Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:57 am
Garrett

that is so pathetic *g*
Post Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:55 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I'm split - my first reaction is that it is a terrible review that gives an unfairly low score to a very flawed game based solely on the fact that the reviewer doesn't possess the basic skills to play the game.

But if this was a FPS and the player was that terrible, he could either:
- F5 / F9 himself through the game, eventually winning.
- Cheat directly through a 'God' code.

The game offers a 'revive' feature, but it is pretty lousy, in my opinion. You lose ADV points if you have a resurrect spell/scroll or ADV points *and* one point in stats if you don't.

What is offered is two difficulty choices - monster spawn rate and monster difficulty. What about an overall difficulty setting? Shouldn't there be an 'easy' setting for non-twitch gamers who are used to turn based action and just can't keep up with the incessant spawning? Shouldn't that setting feature a 'free' revive? I died twice in the game and exploited the fact that before hitting revive you can spend your ADV points. I would have just quit and reloaded, but it had been a while since I'd saved.

Besides which, the amount of time required to save and reload is much greater due to the lack of a quick save/load system. I recall that '1 pixel wide' jump near the end of Arx Fatalis that took me ~125 tries as a 'pure mage' and that without a quick-load I would never have finished the game.

I have seen forum postings on 'Trainer' programs, but nothing about direct 'cheats' ... so I don't know how that all works.

But if you are unable to complete a task - in this playing a game to completion for review - how much of it is the game's fault and how much is your own?

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:19 pm