Members
Usergroups
Why be a thief when you can just use this spell *SPOILER*
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Rayban

Why be a thief when you can just use this spell *SPOILER*

Everytime I want something from a shop I simply place myself so that I can't see the skopkeeper (and the guard), but I can see the object I want to steal. Then I use telekinesis and simply pick the item up! I have never been caught doin this and I can even steal things that lie on the desk in fron of the shopkeeper.

I often use telekinesis in conjunktion with the open lock spell to steal from the shops locked chests and since it works every time, I fail to see why you would choose a thief over a magician.

I have stopped playing the game after I discovered this, since it made it all to easy and I didn't want to "not" use it in order to keep the interesting.
Post Sat May 25, 2002 11:10 am

Grifman
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Duh, I could just as easily say why be a mage when I can be a thief? Oh, and did you know you can take potions that allow you to do many things without knowing the magic? Duh, there are several ways to do the same thing in this game. It is roleplaying game btw.

Grifman
Post Sat May 25, 2002 3:32 pm
Mr207

Yes, that was a spoiler. (sarcasm)
Post Sat May 25, 2002 3:35 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Grifman
Duh, I could just as easily say why be a mage when I can be a thief? Oh, and did you know you can take potions that allow you to do many things without knowing the magic? Duh, there are several ways to do the same thing in this game. It is roleplaying game btw.

Grifman

Are you stupid or what?!?

Just for the reading impared and the die-hard fans:

With the spell telekinesis (or the freakin' potion if you like) you can take items that are placed right in front of the owner, without him noticing! That strikes me as a bit odd don't you agree.

What good is it to be a thief, when every lousy mage can run around stealing like crazy without the chance of being discovered?

Oh and by the clever remark you make about the game being a roleplaying one, then I must ask if you find it normal that every caracter in the game frases their reply exactly the same way as everybody else? to me that just shows the lack of roleplaying opportunity you have.
Or maybe roleplaying to you is running around doing quests for caracters who's dialogue is a cloned copy of all the other residents in that area?
Post Sun May 26, 2002 12:07 pm

Rayban

quote:
Originally posted by Grifman

Grifman

Are you stupid or what?!?

Just for the reading impared and the die-hard fans:

With the spell telekinesis (or the freakin' potion if you like) you can take items that are placed right in front of the owner, without him noticing! That strikes me as a bit odd don't you agree.

What good is it to be a thief, when every lousy mage can run around stealing like crazy without the chance of being discovered?

Oh and by the clever remark you make about the game being a roleplaying one, then I must ask if you find it normal that every caracter in the game frases their reply exactly the same way as everybody else? to me that just shows the lack of roleplaying opportunity you have.
Or maybe roleplaying to you is running around doing quests for caracters who's dialogue is a cloned copy of all the other residents in that area?
Post Sun May 26, 2002 12:08 pm

Grifman
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Duh, are you internet impaired such that you have to post twice?

"Are you stupid or what?!? "

No, but don't let me stop you from proving yourself.

"Just for the reading impared and the die-hard fans: "

Physician, heal thyself.

"With the spell telekinesis (or the freakin' potion if you like) you can take items that are placed right in front of the owner, without him noticing! That strikes me as a bit odd don't you agree."

The oddness wasn't your original point. Your original point was why be a thief when a mage could steal so easily. Apparently you either can't read or remember what you originally posted. The point you make here is irrrelevant to your original post. I agree it is weird, but weirdness was not your original point - or don't you remember?

"What good is it to be a thief, when every lousy mage can run around stealing like crazy without the chance of being discovered?"

What good is it being a mage when I can accomplish many of the same quests by being a thief, using sneak, invisilbility/chameleon, pickpocketing and lockpicking? Duh, again, I say. Again, though you fail to understand, it is a roleplaying game - maybe I DON"T want to play a mage. Understand that - it's not that hard?

"Oh and by the clever remark you make about the game being a roleplaying one, then I must ask if you find it normal that every caracter in the game frases their reply exactly the same way as everybody else? to me that just shows the lack of roleplaying opportunity you have."

Duh, what a doof remark. Played many games like this? Most game are limited because they are computer games and can't offer infinite dialogue lines. That doesn't make it not a roleplaying game, it just betrays your ignorance of the genre. And of course, this has nothing to do with your original comment, but if you are losing the debate, it's usually best to switch topics, isn't it?

"Or maybe roleplaying to you is running around doing quests for caracters who's dialogue is a cloned copy of all the other residents in that area?"

No, roleplaying is playing a role = it is not dependent upon what/how NPC's respond. It is how I play the game, not how "they" play it. I can be a thief, knight, mage, assassin, etc. However, this is something you have appeared to miss in your education, so perhaps I have accomplished some good here.

Grifman
Post Sun May 26, 2002 1:09 pm
Rayban

"The oddness wasn't your original point. Your original point was why be a thief when a mage could steal so easily. Apparently you either can't read or remember what you originally posted. The point you make here is irrrelevant to your original post. I agree it is weird, but weirdness was not your original point - or don't you remember? "

My point, as it was obvious to vague for some, was to point out one of the games many flaws, it was not to raise an arguement of thief vs. mage. I simply tried to show how limited the gaming experience was for me and many others, by pointing out the flaw that made me stop playing the game. And yes it is a shame, that such a potential game is flawed by such a numerous glitches, that actually make it into a limited gaming experience for many.

Why run around like crazy, solving monotone quests given by monotone NPC's exploring a big world where everything you want is so easy to obtain. What is the motivation?

New magical weapons and equipment? - no because these are seldomly quest-orientated items and are to be found everywhere.

To earn experience and power? - no you could simply run around killing small critters getting experience and power can very easily be obtained by using common spells, to an extend where you after a few hours of gameplay have the best armour, best weapons and spells avaible in the world.

To meet interesting caracters? - definately not!

To experience a handcrafted rich world of beauty? - Maybe, but if that is the only motivation, then the game soon became boring and shallow.

Ok maybe I was a little vague in my first post, but i hope that you get the point now ?
Post Sun May 26, 2002 1:43 pm

Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

What does telekinesis realy do? I tested it... didn't help me stealing stuff, thats for sure...
Post Sun May 26, 2002 1:46 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Uh... to use Tele, you must hide behind a pillar so no one can see you, then activate the spell, then "mouse over" the item you want to pick up, and then press enter. Using that spell, I got a couple full Grand Soul Gems and a Grandmaster's Mortar and Pestle.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 2:11 pm
Kojiro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Rayban

Why run around like crazy, solving monotone quests given by monotone NPC's exploring a big world where everything you want is so easy to obtain. What is the motivation?
To meet interesting caracters? - definately not!
To experience a handcrafted rich world of beauty? - Maybe, but if that is the only motivation, then the game soon became boring and shallow.

Then again, why roleplay when you could do the exact same things in real life? But seriously, let me get to my point...

quote:
Originally posted by Rayban

My point, as it was obvious to vague for some, was to point out one of the games many flaws, it was not to raise an arguement of thief vs. mage. I simply tried to show how limited the gaming experience was for me and many others, by pointing out the flaw that made me stop playing the game. And yes it is a shame, that such a potential game is flawed by such a numerous glitches, that actually make it into a limited gaming experience for many.

Seriously, I think you're being a little too harsh on the game. Morrowind manages to accomplish many things that make a great roleplaying game, such as nonlinearity and freedom of character. Great games that have been able to accomplish this were usually riddled with many bugs or flaws (eg. Ultima 7 and Daggerfall). To be honest, I was very skeptical of Morrowind when it came out, expecting it to be as bug-ridden as Daggerfall had been. Although I did manage to get my character stuck in the wall of a mining cart once, I can happily say that Morrowind doesn't have flaws that make me curse at the programmers for the shoddy programming.

In contrast, I would commend the programming this time around. I would often joke at how NPCs in Daggerfall were "paper people," but now they don't get killed in one hit and can give you a good fight as well (haven't managed to kill off the Cammona Tong just yet). There are things that could be improved, such as the dialogue, pathfinding, line of sight, and rain falling through overhangs. I wouldn't be able to name anything yet that would ruin the game however. The only thing that could ruin the game, especially with the construction set, is the player her/himself.

If you don't like the fact that a spell allows you to steal something that's in the victim's line of sight, then don't use it that way. Use some restraint. If you choose to exploit the weaknesses of the game, then of course the experience is diminished. So don't. It's a game, play it the way you want to play it.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 5:40 pm

Why be a Thief? Cause I can get critical hits on enemies. There, happy?
Post Sun May 26, 2002 5:56 pm

Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Umm... can the Tele spell make you pick locks and sneak? And pick pocket? No?
Post Sun May 26, 2002 8:16 pm
Rayban

"If you don't like the fact that a spell allows you to steal something that's in the victim's line of sight, then don't use it that way. Use some restraint. If you choose to exploit the weaknesses of the game, then of course the experience is diminished. So don't. It's a game, play it the way you want to play it."

I wouldn't call levitating that extremly heavy (and expensive) breastplate away from people who are standing right next to it, exploiting the weaknesses of the game. Any decent debugger should have picked this up and made it impossible to do. It only show the lack of debugging that have been done.

Other silly mistakes are numerous:

you can walk around, uninvited, in some strangers dwelling, looking in chests and drawers while the NPC are looking and he doesn't react. If someone came to my house looking tru my secret stuff and underwear, I sure would call that big nasty guard I had placed downstairs, wouldn't you?

You can draw one monster in a crowd to you without the rest of them reacting, just as long as they can't see you, you are safe. Wouldn't you react if you fellow compagnion suddently drew his sword, and then rushed in some direction yelling?

Being a small mage, I can taunt and taunt all I like until this huge meanlooking guard hate me, but still he will answer all my question in the same way as he did before I got cheeky. Wouldn't you react if someone started calling you a yellow coward and then immidiately asked about "a little secret". Would you share a secret with that guy?

The list go on and at least for me it gets a little too long. I no longer play Morrowind, instead I play the NHL 2002 and I get one heck of a better challenge than I ever had with Morrowind!
Post Sun May 26, 2002 8:22 pm

Rayban

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
Umm... can the Tele spell make you pick locks and sneak? And pick pocket? No?

If you first use telekinesis and the immidiately after use an open spell, then yes, you can open locks from afar.

I do not see the need to sneak, and pickpocketing is really useful for what exactly?
Post Sun May 26, 2002 8:26 pm

Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Rayban... have you thought how complicated this game would be if all that things was like you said? It would also be ALOT harder too... i still think Morrowind is one of the best games ever... and of course, it haves alot of bugs, but the game is sooo huge, it would take years to fix it all... stop complaining...
Post Sun May 26, 2002 8:28 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next