Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
I know *why* one should play WoW. My question is: should I?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > World of Warcraft

Author Thread
Alakar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I know *why* one should play WoW. My question is: should I?

After reading Chekote's thread, I now know why I should play WoW. However, before I invest in a game without single player and with a $15 monthly fee, I need a few questions answered. (I know it's long but please read & respond anyway!)

First things first, being the huge Diablo II fan that I am, I need to know if people will be playing this in the months (maybe years) to come. When I get into a game, I really get into it. If people are gonna get bored with this in a year or two, it's not the game for me. I have to get tired of a game before it gets tired of me.

Second question: How is the interaction between people? In Diablo II, there was tons 'o PvP, tons 'o trading, and then of course plenty of PvE. I don't mind level grind or even boring/repetitive quests as long as it's worth it in the end.
Note: I spent countless Diablo II hours doing "Baal runs" and killing cows, but I did get to pound "noobs" (and godly people) into the ground.

Now for the final question: Is it challenging? Games without challenge can be fun for a while, but then they become pointless and boring. Is WoW a game where any old newbie can, in a matter of weeks, become incredibly powerful, or is WoW a game that rewards players for their efforts and their skills? Is WoW a game that takes time, patience, and skill; where only the tough prevail, or is WoW a game that one can conquer quickly and easily, without the rewarding feeling after a good trade, a good duel, or a well deserved level-up?

If you've made it to the end of this post, congratulations! Now please please please try and answer these questions!
Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:06 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

You know, this vein of thread is just becoming pathetic altogether.

"Is it good?" - well, this is how we see it..

"Why Should I Play It?" - well, heres why..

"Should I Myself Play it?" - GET SOME SPINE ALREADY!

Are people we dont even know going to be bored in a year or two with it?
What in the hell type of question is this???

Just buy the damn game and play it already. If you dont like it, then you wont like it. If you do like it, guess what, you'll like it!! There's plenty of information available to you, ranging from full-fledged, long-winded reviews by people that do it quasi-professionally, to endless on-the-fly reviews and commentary threads on message boards.

If you simply cannot glean enough information about the subject at hand, and you dont have the gumption to buck up and make a decision for yourself, then my answer is definitely a resounding "NO, do NOT buy this game". This game will require you to make decision from time to time, and you very well may find yourself stuck in one spot spamming every chat there is with stupid questions for hours, because you are simply incapable of making your own mind up.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:45 pm
Alakar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, it looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Either that or you're a Republican. Unless you're too much of a clutz to notice, I joined this forum quite recently, and I've been in awe of how nice these people are! Well, sadly, my dream has come crashing down on my head. I will try not to "flame," but this completely negative, unhelpful scolding is most deffinately NOT what I need, nor is it what I'm looking for.
I spent my time organizing my thoughts and writing them down so people who wanted to could use some of their time to answer my questions... nicely. I did not, however, expect to be shown such contempt and disrespect for asking a few questions that I am not, by all means, forcing you to answer. If you read my original post, you cannot find the word "good" in it at all. Everyone has a different opinion of what makes a game good, and what a good game is. I asked specific questions that don't give a whole lot of room for personal interpretation (of the questions of course). Is it so bad to ask other gamers what they think of a game and if they recommend it? If not, I must be retarded. Since I'm not, the obvious conclusion is: you are. If you're tired of people (two, right?) asking questions that are somewhat related, IGNORE THEM!! I'm not shoving this in your face, and I haven't a clue how it could possibly harm you. You can call me whatevever you want... spineless, pathetic... it really doesn't matter. I don't have a lot of money to throw around, and I have never subscribed to game before. If it turns out I dont like it, oops! There goes $60.

I am not asking people to speak for all the other WoW players. I'm simply asking them if they will be playing the game for a while and if they think (see the word think? It might do you some good to practice it) other people will, too.

As for not being able to make a decision, I tend to think things through instead of spontaniously taking actions that could bring consequences. Before I decide whether or not to buy a game that I have to continuoulsy pay for to play, I want as much specific information as I can get. Can you blame me? And don't think I haven't read reviews and easily accessible information, because I have. All I'm doing now is asking the nice people of this forum about the qualities of the game that are most important to me. I certainly don't want an ass**** to come bitch at me about how he's tired of people asking questions that he doesn't approve of. Who are you to judge anyway?

I'm done flaming, and I hope I haven't pissed too many people off. On a side note, I didn't say anything that can't be said on TV. If anyone is interested in what a real response is/might look like, check out the reply to my similar post in the MMORPG general forum.
Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:16 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

*polishes the chipper/shredder* Play nice, kids.

@Alakar: You'll probably find this thread helpful. There's a link to an article that claims WoW will die out and people's reactions to the article. While I haven't played the game, I've yet to see a Blizzard game with online functionality not continue to be played for years. Heck, Starcraft is practically the national sport of South Korea.
Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:04 pm
Alakar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

heh, guess I lost my cool there... sorry Val. That link was just what I needed; never even thought to look in the news section. Anyway, I've made the decision to get WoW, so now I need a trading forum ><. Thanks for the info.
Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:54 pm