NWN: Platinum Edition Press Release
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

NWN: Platinum Edition Press Release

D'oh... just found this one at Atari (this almost 2x post should make those guys happy though who seem to think that we are intentionally trying to hide D&D news - We're not! )<blockquote><em><strong>ATARI UNVEILS THE NEVERWINTER NIGHTS PLATINUM EDITION</strong> <br> <br>August 5, 2004 <br>The Original Neverwinter Nights; Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide; Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark All-In-One This October <br>LOS ANGELES – Aug. 4, 2004 – Neverwinter Nights™, developed by BioWare Corp. and published by Atari, Inc. under license from Hasbro, Inc., has captured the hearts and minds of PC gamers worldwide with one of the most captivating Dungeons & Dragons® role-playing experiences to ever grace a computer screen. Based in the Forgotten Realms® universe, created and published by Wizards of the Coast, the Neverwinter Nights™ Platinum Edition will give gamers a chance to rediscover the magic, extend the experience or even explore it anew this October. <br> <br>The Neverwinter Nights Platinum Edition will feature all of the most compelling aspects of Neverwinter Nights gaming including an extensive 100-hour official campaign, which is also playable in multiplayer mode; the amazing Neverwinter Nights Aurora Toolset which lets players create their own adventures, and the Dungeon Master™ client that allows players to step into the shoes of the Dungeon Master to tell their own stories; and, most importantly, access to an absolutely thriving player community brimming with content and support. <br> <br>The Neverwinter Nights Platinum Edition will come complete with both best-selling, official expansion packs Neverwinter Nights™: Shadows of Undrentide and Neverwinter Nights™: Hordes of the Underdark. New features in Shadows of Undrentide include, an extensive single-player campaign, new skills, including Tumble and Appraise; new feats, such as Divine Might, Great Cleave and Bullheaded; new weapons, such as Holy Water Flasks and Choking Powder; five new prestige classes, including the Blackguard, Shadowdancer, and Assassin; new monsters from the D&D® universe, including the Pit Fiend, Cockatrice, Sphinx and Manticore; and more than 50 additional spells. <br> <br>The second official expansion pack, Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark also includes a new single-player campaign, designed for high-level characters and set amidst the famous city of Waterdeep and the foreboding Underdark. Hordes of the Underdark significantly expands upon the Neverwinter Nights universe, most notably with the addition of Epic Level gameplay. Based upon the D&D game supplement Epic Level Handbook™, Epic Levels will be available for characters who have reached level 20, allowing them to advance as far as level 40. Hordes of the Underdark also introduces several new prestige classes, including the Shifter, a druidic class specializing in shape shifting; dozens of new feats, such as Epic Reputation, Craft Weapon and Armor Skin; a multitude of new weapons and spells, many designed solely for epic level characters; challenging new creatures pulled straight out of the Underdark, including Mind Flayers, Beholders and Driders; several new character voice sets for even greater character customization; and 17 new epic soundtracks from composer Jeremy Soule. <br> <br>In addition, both expansion packs equip module makers with additional content for the Neverwinter Nights Aurora Toolset, the groundbreaking software included with the full game that allows players to create their own universes, quests and storylines. The Neverwinter Nights Platinum Edition will also give players a chance to experience some of the most popular and exciting fan-generated modules created using the Neverwinter Nights Aurora Toolset. Modules are complete stand-alone adventures that allow players to take part in entirely new stories and adventures within their favorite Dungeons & Dragons worlds. <br> <br>Neverwinter Nights Platinum Edition will be available at retail stores nationwide this October for an estimated retail price of $39.95. Additional information about the Neverwinter Nights Platinum Edition can be found online at <a href="http://www.bioware.com" target="_blank">www.bioware.com</a>.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:55 am
the dim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
(this almost 2x post should make those guys happy though who seem to think that we are intentionally trying to hide D&D news - We're not! )

Have someone said you hide D&D news? Well, I don't agree with that. To make the error to forget to make something bold once and go back and fix it later is absolutely ok in my books. All can make errors. When there is big D&D news you post them. But!.. there is no secret that in the past, D&D hasn’t had the highest priority here. Especially NWN seemed for a period to have in fact a (strangely) low priority for such a huge game. That you choose to have higher/lower priority on different games is ok as long as you include the major news nonetheless. Something RPGDot have done. So I am happy. Continue reporting news form all rpg's but set your focus as you self see best fits.
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:04 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Originally posted by the dim
Have someone said you hide D&D news? Well, I don't agree with that. To make the error to forget to make something bold once and go back and fix it later is absolutely ok in my books. All can make errors. When there is big D&D news you post them.

Yeah, Jamey (indirectly) accused us of ignoring tons of D&D-related stuff including NWN in this other thread (NWN2 Announcement).

quote:

But!.. there is no secret that in the past, D&D hasn’t had the highest priority here. Especially NWN seemed for a period to have in fact a (strangely) low priority for such a huge game.

Seriously, I have no idea how you got that impression from our news coverage. I would have to ask Garrett or Myrthos to check the database as I don't have root access myself but I wouldn't be surprised at all if NWN holds the overall #1 spot as far as the sheer number of newsbits is concerned (just check our NWN news history here ... I'd say that's a pretty impressive amount of posts and this is *only* NWN news w/o SoU or HotU news).

quote:

That you choose to have higher/lower priority on different games is ok as long as you include the major news nonetheless. Something RPGDot have done. So I am happy. Continue reporting news form all rpg's but set your focus as you self see best fits.

Regarding the last part: No . There is no focus. We don't create the news. We just post *every* single RPG-related news item we find on the net. There is no selection process involved. The "focus" comes from how actively a publisher or developer works with their own website (site updates) or how actively they cooperate with the gaming press (previews, reviews, interviews etc).
Atari is not too active in that regard. BioWare isn't either. They got that BioWare Wednesday feature every week but that's about it.
Other devs like Nevrax update the Ryzom site almost daily so we have tons and tons of Ryzom news over at MMORPGDot.
This is not *us* giving priority to Ryzom. It's simply that *Nevrax* creates news pretty much every day and so we report about the game almost daily. Simple as that.

We all do of course have our own favorite games (and very different ones, too, across the whole team) but rest assured that there has never been and that there will never be an internal discussion about giving any game(s) priority. I think it has always been our strength that we report about *everything* RPG-related, no matter if the game is low profile, high profile, from Timbukthu, from Mars or made by Wookiees .

We will try to continue to give our readers the best possible all around RPG news coverage. Please bear with us if we miss a forum comment from an NWN dev or something like that.
BioWare forums are a very very busy place and we just don't have the time to keep track of dev posts like some of the local forum lurkers.
And if BioWare has something important to say they should learn to update their website with the news instead of burying it deep inside their forums anyway .
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:47 pm
the dim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Moriendor

Seriously, I have no idea how you got that impression from our news coverage. ... I'd say that's a pretty impressive amount of posts and this is *only* NWN news w/o SoU or HotU news).

Yes, there is a great deal of news here. And I did not suspect anything else Because you report damn many news from near all (or even all?) rpgs.

quote:

Regarding the last part: No . There is no focus. We don't create the news. We just post *every* single RPG-related news item we find on the net. There is no selection process involved..

Okey, that you report *all* is a great thing. Although some times it’s good to be a little restrictive too so you don't have five near identical news one day. But that is another discussion.

quote:
The "focus" comes from how actively a publisher or developer works with their own website (site updates) or how actively they cooperate with the gaming press (previews, reviews, interviews etc).

I disagree; there is also news that doesn’t come directly form the Dev or Publisher.

And as the other guy did, I do not accuse you to be mean to nwn by any means now. I just have felt in the past that nwn wasn't given as high priority as other games. I actually think it have become good again in the past months. If I remember correctly it was sometime before mmorpgdot become fully it's own site that I had this impression the strongest. That means quite some time ago. But when I saw some other write that they had the "same impression" I felt inclined to write and agree. But I waited and saw you fix that little mistake. But then you had to mention in another newsbit, and it beeing time for another users two cent.

Anyway, this is just how I have seen it. It may be that you reported all big news always, and maybe all little news too. It may be the way those were presented or something, I have not looked back to this. I felt assured RPGDot was more a site for Morrowind and Gothic than NWN back then. (hey I like Gothic more than NWN, but it made me wonder nonetheless.) It may be me who have not got things right, but it is a little strange that other users is feeling the same in that case.

And as you indicate, even if the site it self has no priority the interest of the news reporters may and will have something to say. If the reporters who delivers most don't like an rpg they may tend to not make as many OR as good news stories form that game. If several news reporters dislike the same game there may be a problem. I am not saying that have happened here and I am not accusing RPGDot's great news reporters. I am only gueesing on reassons how I may have gotten this impression of nwn getting a little less coverage. Hey, I am even a news reporter for a site myself. I know how it can uninteresting to report from something one doesn’t care about at all. But one still have to report it in a good way for the readers out there. But even when I want it to be just as good as other stories for the readers, there may be something in the back of my mind that keeps me from making just that extra line it need to be a "perfect" news story.

Anyway. You seem to listen to an old rambler, doing a good coverage of nwn (now?), taking care of readers and maintaining a great site. Thanks. And keep up bringing those great news stories.
Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:34 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I think Jamey's comment in the NWN2 thread was aimed at me because I have, on occasion, announced key Black Isle / Interplay / Fallout news in bold and Garrett didn't bold the NWN2 announcement.

I'm sure my idea of an important newsbit is different to the other Editors and no doubt many of our visitors; diversity is a good thing. I admit to following Black Isle and Fallout closely because that's my interest. As for whether readers are interested or not -- those threads often get plenty of comments. Not everyone is the same but it's the rare RPG fan that doesn't have at least one of BG/2, Fallout/2 or PS:T in their "top 5".

BTW, since Jamey has recently posted on the Obsidian boards complaining about the "negative atmosphere" surrounding NWN2, I would guess he is an avid NWN fan to the exclusion of other games.

Edit: at the risk of harping: I check the main BioWare site, the NWN, SoU and HotU subsites, NW Vault and Planet Neverwinter every newsrun. Now that I think about it, that's more than any other game - perhaps I should cut back on NWN coverage.
Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:00 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Yes, there is a great deal of news here. And I did not suspect anything else Because you report damn many news from near all (or even all?) rpgs.

Hehe... *all* is wishful thinking . There are definitely quite a few low profile RPGs, RPG hybrids, and especially Asian RPGs and console RPGs missing from our database.

quote:
And as the other guy did, I do not accuse you to be mean to nwn by any means now. I just have felt in the past that nwn wasn't given as high priority as other games. I actually think it have become good again in the past months. If I remember correctly it was sometime before mmorpgdot become fully it's own site that I had this impression the strongest. That means quite some time ago. But when I saw some other write that they had the "same impression" I felt inclined to write and agree. But I waited and saw you fix that little mistake. But then you had to mention in another newsbit, and it beeing time for another users two cent.

Anyway, this is just how I have seen it. It may be that you reported all big news always, and maybe all little news too. It may be the way those were presented or something, I have not looked back to this. I felt assured RPGDot was more a site for Morrowind and Gothic than NWN back then. (hey I like Gothic more than NWN, but it made me wonder nonetheless.) It may be me who have not got things right, but it is a little strange that other users is feeling the same in that case.

OK, I think I know where this perception may be coming from.
We used to have a NWN network site (nwn.rpgdot.com it was, I think). It has been shut down for a while now because we lost all staff members that were once responsible for the site.
We (RPGDot core team) usually stay away from news that belong on a hosted site to not frustrate the editors running a network site.
We *intentionally* stay away from news that they might want to post instead of us because we don't want them to feel useless or not needed.
This means that we (RPGDot team) relied on the NWNDot team to post all NWN-related news which they sometimes did and sometimes did not. The site was updated very infrequently and we (at RPGDot) didn't really feel like checking which news the NWNDot team might have missed.
That may have been a mistake... though only minor news should have been affected by this since our policy is that all important news are posted from RPGDot (they are then automatically displayed at the hosted site when posted from here) .

I have to disagree with your assessment that Morrowind may be more important to us though. I personally used to post a lot of Morrowind community news until we found a great news poster for MorrowindDot.
I quit reporting about Morrowind mod news when he joined us and left all Morrowind stuff to him. He did an awesome job but then suddenly went AWOL. There has been a huge gap in our Morrowind mod news reporting until Kristophe showed up pretty recently.
He's doing an excellent job at reporting Morrowind mod stuff now but I would say that our NWN mod coverage (don't think we've missed a single mod review from NW Vault, for example) has actually been much *better* than our Morrowind mod coverage for a very long time.

quote:
And as you indicate, even if the site it self has no priority the interest of the news reporters may and will have something to say. If the reporters who delivers most don't like an rpg they may tend to not make as many OR as good news stories form that game. If several news reporters dislike the same game there may be a problem. I am not saying that have happened here and I am not accusing RPGDot's great news reporters. I am only gueesing on reassons how I may have gotten this impression of nwn getting a little less coverage. Hey, I am even a news reporter for a site myself. I know how it can uninteresting to report from something one doesn’t care about at all. But one still have to report it in a good way for the readers out there. But even when I want it to be just as good as other stories for the readers, there may be something in the back of my mind that keeps me from making just that extra line it need to be a "perfect" news story.

I plead 'not guilty' on these charges . That was true a long time ago though. I personally used to post stuff like "...Larian Studios' very promising fantasy RPG..." etc when referring to Divine Divinity until several posters pointed out that we were using terms like "promising" for certain RPGs only while omitting these terms when reporting about other games.
They did admittedly have a point back then and I have tried to keep my newsbits extremely neutral ever since (sometimes just can't bite my tongue but personal comments should be a *very* rare occurrance nowadays ).
I think that everyone else here is doing this as well or is just as rarely including a positive/negative comment about a game.

quote:
Anyway. You seem to listen to an old rambler, doing a good coverage of nwn (now?), taking care of readers and maintaining a great site. Thanks. And keep up bringing those great news stories.

Thanks for the flowers . Seriously, we're trying to be as unbiased as humanly possible... though after your comments I will personally strive to be as unbiased as a robot .
Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:17 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Robots are our friends...

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:23 am