Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Here is what I have:
Guild: Mercenery
Level: 16
Skill Points: 30
Strength: 49
Dexterity: 25

Now, where do I invest those 30 points? Str, Dex or 2-Handed Weapon training? BTW, I am about to enter Orc Cemetery.

[ This Message was edited by: PaulDenton on 2001-12-05 17:05 ]
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 11:03 pm
Digital Pimp
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Whoa, where did you put all your skill points. I'd do two handed sword training
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 11:06 pm
PaulDenton
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Let's see, I should have spent 150 points, right?

Str: 10 + 10 + 10 + 1 = 31
(+5 from Horatio, +3 from potion)
Dex: 10 + 5 = 15
Sneaking: 10
Hunting: 4
1-Handed: 10 + 20 = 30
Bow: 10 + 20 = 30

Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 11:20 pm

high str is really important.. i'd probably put all to str?

remember that 1 point of str is 1 point more of damage dealt
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 1:39 am

Cycloptichorn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Damn man, what about yer rings and amulets? I'm like level 11 with higher strength than that... and I never talked to horatio (d'oh!) Go buy a +10 strength ring and a +4 +4 str/dex ring, and a +10 strength amulet from the mage in the new camp... that'll pump ya up.

Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 4:40 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm in the mid range with ST & DX but am a master at 1H weapons and Bow. I really like the Bow...It is such an elegant weapon and with my Bone Bow (68 hit points) I can take out Harpies in mid flight with one hit…I even do damage to those skeleton dudes. AND THEIR REAL BAD ASSES. I wonder what effect it would have on that walking mountain?

Sylvio
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 3:06 pm
PaulDenton
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I am in chapter 4 now, and I found two-handed weapons way too slow, is it worth it to invest 70 points? Maybe I will be better off putting those points in strength. I have 64 strength and 34 dexterity now.

The best 1-handed weapon I got is Berserker's Sword from Scorpio which makes 66 damage, the best 2-handed weapon I got is the big axe from Sharky which does 79 damage.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 6:09 pm
Sveinung
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Is dexterity doing any good to swordfighters?
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:25 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

what difference does dexeterity make to your bow attacks? does it improve your characters aim? also, what difference does the bow skill make?

"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:36 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Lee's 2h axe = 105 damage
Gomez 2h sword = 110 damage
Scar's 1h sword = 85 damage

Best crossbow
Crossbow of war 100 damage
Or you can grab the south gate's guard's heavy crossbow (forgot his name) 90 damage.
Best bow I found
Uhm... I think it did around 55 damage

Bow skill is useless since you can learn Crossbow without Bowskill. Crossbow's even at beginners class does far more damage than bows (to the extreme).

2h weapons is interesting and in the end you can really swing them fast. With 1h the enemies can reach you but you have difficulties to reach them. Thats the point of spending 70p to get 2h swords. You will still be able to boost up to 100 strength if you wish (you get enough skillpoints).

100 is maximum in dex/str.

Str is far more important than Dex, as long as you can use light crossbow (reached the dex value, wich you can do with normal rings) you dont need either crossbow skill or more dex. Put the points in str instead.

As long as you are going to be a Warrior. Wizards does best to put their points into magic.

Magic will cost 10+15+20+25+30+40 points...

Acrobatics is worthless
Pickpocketing is worthless
Advanced lockpick is worthless
Bow skill is worthless

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:54 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Acrobatics is very helpful. The ability to jump farther and higher is useful in certain areas of the game (nothing vital, but side areas).

Two-handed weapons are very quick, and unlike the 1 handers the best attack for a two handed is up-up-up-up for the super powerful creatures and just up-up for anything else. The combo for those weapons is just vicious and has a wide arch and long range. Much better than the 1 handers.

I also find it much more important to have a good defense rather than using my rings for str/dex. I took the rings/amulet that increased my defenses towards all weapon types. On top of my armor I believe I had another +50 normal, +30 arrow, +20 fire and +3 magic. Those numbers aren't exact, but damn close. It's great when you only take a a small amount of damage from enemies when your attack swings decide to wig out on your and you just randomly stand there like a moron for a moment.
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 11:03 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

okay, it seems that people are shying away from bows. i am still in the early stages of the game. it sounds like the general consensus is to avoid spending points on the ranged weapons & focus on the hand to hand stuff (i.e. strength & skills). are there any arguments out their in favor of ranged weapons? i would love to know before i get too far into the game over the weekend.

"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:05 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

I use a bow exclusively for hunting. They have longer range from my experience. They also have a lower dex requirement I think...

[ This Message was edited by: Llama on 2001-12-07 18:15 ]
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:15 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

txiabxyooj
----------
The use of bows/crossbows is to take out dangerous enemies from safe range.

You rarely have to do this, and when you do, you dont need the skill.

Even with best crossbow, 100dex and mastership in crossbow you still cant take out multiple enemies quick enough to motivate spending your points on that.

Either you go for a full mage, or you go for a full sword warror.

Ranger is unfortunate not useful in this game.

Still reccomend the hunting skills thou (grabbing skins/teeth etc). You really get payed for thoose and can VERY quickly (too quick) be money independent.

bow vs crossbow?
Crossbows require more dex, and does more damage.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:57 am
PaulDenton
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yeah, 2-handed swords kick ass alright. With strength of 154, lvl 2 2-handed sword skill and the end-game sword, I kick ass hard.
Post Sun Dec 09, 2001 2:27 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next