Author Thread
MamoVaka

Framerates on top end pc's

Hey, here are my specs

win xp pro
AMD xp1900+
512 DDR
geforce 4 ti4600

I have everything maxed at 1024 with Antialiasing.

I initially used the 4xs but that really hammered the performance of the game so I went to quienox (spelling) and it ran a little better. Still though I find myself disabling shadows just to get acceptable framerates that do not drive me too crazy. Does anyone know if this is normal?

My pc is pretty top end, and for it to not be able to run this game perfectly worries me

I score 9,200 in 3dmark2001SE

Anyone with knowledge let me know what the problem is if any.
Or is this just the way this monster game works?

Thanks.

Mamovaka
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:06 am

Jamison
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You should try AA 2x. I am running a P4 2.0 with 1gig of rambus w/ geforce3. Everything is maxed (even AI) at 1024x768 AAx2. It runs really smooth. I noticed some slowdowns when it was set to Q.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:24 am
MamoVaka

ok checked my fps

With everything maxed in a city I see FPS as low as 11,

my pc is pretty damn top end too. this is NOT GOOD. Can anyone help me? What am I doing wrong?
Remember I have the graphics MAXED
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:14 am

MamoVaka

Hey!

Anyone else with a top end machine tell me your framerates? I REALLY think mine should be higher but maybe I am wrong? Please let me know
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:12 am

Craptacular

Re: Hey!

quote:
Originally posted by MamoVaka
Anyone else with a top end machine tell me your framerates? I REALLY think mine should be higher but maybe I am wrong? Please let me know

Nope those are reasonable framerates for your rig if your playing with ALL the settings maxed. Morrowind is simply a next gen, ballbreaker of a game.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:20 am

Re: ok checked my fps

quote:
Originally posted by MamoVaka
With everything maxed in a city I see FPS as low as 11,

my pc is pretty damn top end too. this is NOT GOOD. Can anyone help me? What am I doing wrong?
Remember I have the graphics MAXED

well then try to lower the fucking distance...omg lames all over...

I have an 950mhz overclocked Duron with an gf2 mx400 32mb
256mb sdr ram

I run morrowind in 800x600 half slider in distance, shadow.
AI to low though ive highend the waters texture from 128 to 512
and the waters fps from 12 to 24(looks great really change it specielly if u havent an gf3 pixel shader).
I have between 50-70 fps indoors.
when alot is hapening outdoors/in town I have 20-30
when im stroling around and swimming looking around and tossing stones on the water I have 55-60 fps

now you know. that if you have an spec like this you can still play it. its still really good looking. and most importantly it runs smooth
Post Fri May 03, 2002 11:18 am

You should be able to leave everything maxed except the shadows and not see any problems. Those shadows will give you real problems in town though.

I know the feeling of wanting to be able to see the game at its best all the time but you have to realize that this is one of those games that pushes the limits of what the hardware can do. Also, while some people think that 11fps in town is unacceptable there are others that think it's perfectly ok.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:10 pm

freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

game card question

I am not a game card guru so I can't figure mine out. I bought a laptop and it came with a genforce 4 graphics card (which is so freakin nice) but I don't know which one it is since I am hearing that there is like 2 different kinds. It just says toshiba genforce 4...I don't see a ti or a mx. Pls help!

plus I am was getting from all these topics that running a 1.7GHz p4, 512 SDRAM, genforce 4, that I would not have a problem using the second to best resolution but I had to go down a notch which really sucks for me. I took the shadows down and it still didn't seem to help. I know I can do better than this. What do I do?
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:15 pm