Usergroups
Will machines take over the world?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

axally humans prolly won't rule the universe. no1 all the humans in WH40K are (to some extent) genetically enhanced and have the "gifts of the emperor" on their side. no2 what are the odds that alllllll other forms of life in the universe are puny fairy creatures?
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:45 am
Lawnmower
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Humans, and ruling the Universe.

Um...actually, there is a good chance we will. Or be wiped out completely either before or at first contact. Look at it this way:

Intelligent life requires rare circumstances, and lots of time to develop.

Most civilizations (like we might) will exterminate themselves before getting off the planet.

Any species that develops star travel long enough to propagate to other worlds and beat the odds faces unlimited space for expansion and NO competition.

If we aren't that species, we are royally f*cked, because they will be so far beyond our capabilities that they could exterminate us in an instant. (Anything powerful enough for an interstellar drive could easily obliterate a planet, even if that was not the original intent). The development gaps are THAT large.

Conclusion: Sooner or later, one species will reign supreme over the entire universe. Luckily, from our perspective, WE are the only viable candidates.

Recommended course of action: Take to the stars as soon as possible. It is much cheaper and easier than you'd think. Send out self-replicating preperation probes, no matter how long it takes them to get there. Include embryos, teaching machines, everything needed to establish a colony. This will take thousands of years to cross interstellar space, but they won't mind. And so, for the cost of less than Apollo, we can guarantee the survival of the human race. Shaped the way we want it. If we have the initiative, we can and will rule the universe.

PS. If you find this interesting, read Manifold Time, by Stephen Baxter. I'm a sci-fi freak.

Don't do drugs. Pick one and stick with it.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:42 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

The way I figure it is: mankind will eventually get to the stars...when it gets there (with lots of machines helping it) it will find either:

a - no one else around. Life is a lot harder to come by then we think.
b - no spare room. Life is about as hard to come by as we currently project.

The odds of the current interstellar status quo being somewhere in between a and b is very very small.

If (b) we’d best hope they are friendly and have Yog’s attitude toward other cultures ‘cuz given our current state of development if the roles were reversed we’d enslave the new comers – all in the name of the greater good, peace, love and the new comer’s best interests. But they’d be slaves none the less.

But then, the current trend in human interactions sees conflict moving from armed clashes of nation states (ideologies) to a conflict between unrestricted and restricted markets. Being an economic slave is not much more fun that being physically enslaved - but it tends to be a lot less bloody. So these hypothetical newcomers would probably just be treated like Cameroon if humans were the dominant interstellar race.

But then, there is a lot of time for humanity to grow up, and who knows? Maybe the dark side will lose the fight for our race - but I would not bet on either side winning. My guess is that from the stress of the struggle between good and evil comes all advancement -- moral as well as physical (technological).

With this advancement comes a movement in the definition of evil. Two thousand years ago slavery was not good or evil - it just was. Now it is generally accepted as evil.
Might makes right has been the way for 99.9% of humankinds existence. But now, most societies don't condone taking something just because your sword is bigger maybe if their wallet is bigger, but not the sword. So there has been a shift in generally acceptable behavior towards less violence but not less conflict - and so there hope .... Pandora shut the box in time, but we still have enough stress to encourage innovation (sp?) .

Sorry about the length.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:03 pm
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
If (b) we’d best hope they are friendly and have Yog’s attitude toward other cultures

ooohhh.... let's say this: i'm trying to reach the Earth since 10.000BC, if you could be so gently to come to me it would be better thanks! oh yes... and then there will be plenty of food... for me!! !!! Yahoo!
=Ex-Baron of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:21 pm
The Golden Mage
City Guard
City Guard

I wouldn't worry about it but think about it. Robots can't do what their not programed to do. And even if they could way would they want to it would be like us not wanting to eat.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:22 am
Krzychu
Hidden Character
Hidden Character

If humanity will make robots that are smart and creative then they
should show them and teach the goods of piece between them..
[ but maybe robots would see it not true cause off the wars and all ]
so when the robots will feel bad with us they say "The earth is not big
enough for the both of us" and then they build a spaceship and fly
somewhere away to make their own civilaztion...
but then again what would they do there? They would have no point in
existing..hm..ah forget it
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:03 pm
DarkWeaver
A Dark Prince
A Dark Prince

Re: Will machines take over the world?

Hmm...I dont think so...
'If' this would ever happen, than you probably have to wait for another 500 years. lol
Post Sat May 01, 2004 1:43 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

OMG! Why did this get bumped?

Wow. What a blast from my past. I'd forgotten how much I miss Yog, he was great fun.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 12:28 pm
DarkWeaver
A Dark Prince
A Dark Prince

Well...because i like the subject of this post.
I have almost read all of the old posts on RPGDot.
And i have seen that many many people have left RPGDot.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 2:13 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

@Darkweaver: Do you have too much free time, to read almost every post on rpgdot. Here, also in the Netherlands, the sun is shining, so why don't you go out for chance, instead of spending hours behind your desk. Lol
Post Mon May 03, 2004 3:33 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Yup, what a nostalgia. Moonslash, SuperCowMan24, haven't post for long, long time.

Still remember the flame wars between mathiaus Kreku (sp) with Rendelius and other staffs here, also Airk, later banned i think (sp), and Marshall Maden (sp) also banned.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 4:40 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@Remus -Yes I do recall, and wince at some of the flame wars. But I prefer to recall the fun back and forth *grin* DzD's thread that wouldn't die (it was finally spammed to death), the riddle site, all the Gothic banter.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 4:48 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Aren't memories nice?

Necromancy, however, isn't.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 6:13 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Aren't memories nice?

Necromancy, however, isn't.

This reminds me of a Hawkwind song where the chorus is something like:

"Where necromancy lives for ever,
Preserved inside a jar ..."

It would take me awhile to find the song at home though, as it has been quite sometime since I've felt the urge to listen to HW.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 6:28 pm
DarkWeaver
A Dark Prince
A Dark Prince

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
@Darkweaver: Do you have too much free time, to read almost every post on rpgdot. Here, also in the Netherlands, the sun is shining, so why don't you go out for chance, instead of spending hours behind your desk. Lol

Yes, i have to much free time and it will stay that way for another 4 months.
Its fun to read things about other people, you can learn from it and some posts are even fun to read.
Well...i dont know where you see the sun shining, but i see nothing. lol
Post Mon May 03, 2004 6:55 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next