Help me find a game to stick with
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Nukester
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Help me find a game to stick with

A post similar to this was my first post on this site, about a year ago or so. Im stuck again. Aside from sports games, I am a huge fan of CRPG's. I have just about all of the classics, and alot of the newer ones. I have hundreds of games, but amazingly enough, I very rarely finish any of them (spent too much time playing Out of the Park Baseball I guess ). A couple that I actually did finish to the end were Gothic, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and an oldie Buck Rogers game. I have all of the Wizardry series (I - VIII), almost all of the Ultima series (I - VIII, plus both Ultima Undergrounds...dont have Ultima IX), Wizards and Warriors, Morrowind, Gothic 2, Might and Magic 3 and 6, Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Planetscape: Torment, Arx Fatalis, Diablo 1 and 2, Dungeon Seige, Gladius (for the PS2)......I got Battlefield: 1942, Warcraft battlechest edition, the original Half-Life....heck probably dozens of more games.

My problem is that I start a game, get a few levels into it, then stop playing for whatever reason, then start at the beginning again, rinse and repeat. This makes me give up on games because I only see the beginning of them and never really get into the meat of the game.
I prefer first person perspective (hate the little people of Baldurs Gate type games), and prefer turn-based combat over real time, but can get into real time also (but dont really like real time strategy games much).

What should I start playing that I should be determined to finish ? Ive been getting bored with Morrowind, and Gothic 2 hasnt held my attention like Gothic 1 did.......Help.....Me.......Im thinking Wizardy 8 meets the first person perspective, turn based combat requirements well. Is this what I want to do ?

Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:57 pm
genji
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If you like your turn-based combat, then Wiz 8 is a fine choice. It gets a hearty recommendation from me, and I'm sure many other people here will agree.

That's pretty much all I can say. It has a great character creation system, and intense, challenging combat. Give it a try!
Post Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:15 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

wizardry 8 might be the only game that fills those requirements....

Its great and very difficult.
Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:04 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I had the same experience with Gothic 2. But after getting NOTR and the translation patch it makes a huge difference.

I wouldnt say it was up to the quality of the original Gothic, but its definately a lot closer than vanilla G2 is.

Ultima IX is fun if you get all the fan patches. It still has some issues but I enjoyed it a lot after applying the patches.

Your first person + turn based requirement is very restricting. I also can only think of Wizardry 8.

What about console RPG's? It sounds to me that they would fit your style a lot more. Sure most of them are not First Person, but most are turn based.

I quite often dont finish a game the first time I play it. I tend you play games and then when I get burned out I just archive the save game and go back later. Quite often there are spaces of many months to a year or two between the first and final play session of an RPG. It does cause problems with games that dont have suitable quest logging etc, but its not that bad most of the time.
Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:57 pm
genji
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You could always try some games from back when first-person turn based was the 'in' thing. Ultima Underworld, Eye of the Beholder, other Wizardry games, etc.
Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:09 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

If you like turn based, give Silent Storm a try.

Its second world war setting but still good....sort of 3d version of Jagged Alliance 2 (also still very good and on budget).

On the console front, you could try Final Fantasy X.....very good story / grafix and is turn based.

Regards,

Hexmaster
Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:59 pm