this does not bode well for Fallout
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

this does not bode well for Fallout

how do you think oblivion will effect Fallout?, personally after seeing oblivion, I hope bethseda will sell the licence to someone who could do a better job, I mean oblivion was nice, but it had no real depth, and I hate the scalling system, so what do you think?
Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:22 am
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'm enjoying Oblivion very much, I have a whole bunch of mods running to customise it though. I don't mind the scaling thing, I like it to stay challenging. My single biggest problem is how the journal treats you like you're a five year old retarded moneky. It tells you exactly what to do, who to talk to and where to go, and it keeps updating just to make sure you know what you're supposed to do next. You're not left to figure anything out for yourself, or have to look for anything yourself, or think for yourself. It totally ruins the "investigating" quests, and annoys me in most quests when it pops up with the most freaking obvious instructions.

In Fallout 3 I would certainly expect to be treated more like a grown-up.
Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:22 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

two totally different gameworlds, different concepts, different styles of play. Would they stray so far from Fallout convention?
I wouldnt be too concerned at this point. I wouldnt be too concerned anyway actually, if we got a post-apocalyptic RPG in the style of Oblivion, I think that would be pretty cool. I'd play it.
I do think the caterwaulings regarding the scaling issue have rang loud and clear, and justifiably so, and hopefully be addressed with a bit more shall we say "design consideration" in such a Fallout III meets Oblivion concept
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:52 pm
MasterLich
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
two totally different gameworlds, different concepts, different styles of play. Would they stray so far from Fallout convention?

Two totally different publishers and development teams = yes, they would.

Reason: with the huge success on the game market with Oblivion, they will also have a huge pressure to continue developing similar games. Meaning that there is not a possibility for straying too far from the nanny approach of Oblivion or they would lose too many paying customers.

The problem is that computer/console gaming is still seen by the vast majority of people as a kids' hobby and therefore more mature needs are not first on the priority/potential customers list. It was different before, when the real CRPG's were published only on computer systems, but times have changed and we are living the biggest boom in console sales so far. Kids playing on consoles are normally younger than us old kids playing on a PC. Therefore, to cater the needs of the youngsters, the impatient Oblivion approach is the one that sells and that has now finally been proven according to sales figures.

Money talks.
Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:18 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

exactly, we should be worried, I don't want them to dumb down fallout, I want it to be mature content like it always was
Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:18 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I see the point here, the reason te be worried. On the other hand I tend to agree with xSamhainx. I doubt that they will spoil the Fallout world with Oblivion-like simplism. Or should I call it hope instead? :]
Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:05 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Fallout-BOS There's a lesson there if anyone is paying attention!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:30 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Would you prefer one of the EA studios to make it? How about Obsidian and we would get a piece of crap like KotOR2?
Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:17 am