Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Why Do You Think Old RPGs are Harder than Newer RPGs?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
irritantnumber6
Village Leader
Village Leader

Why Do You Think Old RPGs are Harder than Newer RPGs?

This subject came up in another thread.

If everyone agrees that this is a general trend, why do you think it is? Are we all just being dumbed down? Does it have something to do with the "mainstreaming" of gaming?

I'd be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this.
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:49 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Exploding development costs require catering a broader market. There aren´t enough hardcore RPGers out there to make the risk of a 'classic' RPG with the necessary technical oomph acceptable. Mass market appeal is a must if you have 7 digit budgets.
A Wizardry 8 obviously isn´t successful enough to develop a Wizardry 9.

Another point is the player´s need for comfort and laziness. Today´s gamers are no longer willing to accept the enormous learning curve older games required to understand the game mechanics. A good tutorial is vital. And of course nowadays players expect to be confronted with problems which can be solved with a limited number of tries. A complicated maze with a dozen teleports (...) is no longer acceptable because it leads to frustration and bad word of mouth.
Post Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:18 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
...A Wizardry 8 obviously isn´t successful enough to develop a Wizardry 9.

It could because of many other reasons. There was an interview somewhere with the developer and mentioned Wizardry 9 been cancelled because their publisher refuse to pay (the profits from W8 or something) .....Also, i think the long delays of Wizardry 8 (after the product was finish), created certain negative impacts on the game (outdated looks, momentum of publicity, etc...).

@irritantnumber6

I'm not sure that "Old RPGs are Harder than Newer RPGs." In what or which aspect you refer to?: the puzzle? the combat too easy, the quest? or levelling up your character?.
Post Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:37 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I too am not sure older games were necessarily harder. Maybe we've played so many they just seem easier. I cut my teeth on the early Ultima's, but they never seemed too hard, just a lot of fun. Bard's Tale 3 was hard, but that was mainly dice rolls by the computer. There were no complex puzzles. Mind you, I do remember struggling more with Wiz7 than I did with Wiz8. We didn't have walkthrus etc. back then. If I got stuck, I had to use Fido net. (remember that) thru one of the local BBS's I belonged to. I still miss the old inter-BBS games we used to play, like LORD, RED DRAGON and my personal favourite BRE.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:17 am
RuySan
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i also don't think that older games are harder than newer ones.There were always easy and hard games. what used to be much harder was the interfaces of old games...
Post Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:51 am