Siegelets - how could you possibly ...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Siegelets - how could you possibly ...

Garrett raised this question lately, and I think it is a interesting one: there are several sigelets planned redoing Ultima games. He wonders how this can be done with DS - with the relaitvely limited char development options and the lack of some features essential to Ultimas (enhanced interactivity with the world, alchemy and so on).

Anyone can answer this?
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:21 pm
PraetorJudis
Village Leader
Village Leader

My Understanding...

I believe I read somewhere that a complete conversation generator is included in the engine, just not utilized in the game itself.

I have read threads on another forum where developers have specificly stated that object properties are fully scriptable and that siegers will have several options available to create objects that interact with each other.

I would imagine (based on everything I've seen so far) that it will be quite easy to implement NPC schedules with simple scripts as well.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:17 am
Alister

Alchemy

Also, as far as Alchemy goes, I know that in the existing game, my wife learned that she could "merge" small potions into larger ones, which suggests to me that through scripting other "merging" can be accomplished...

Personally, I think the skill system will blend nicely with the intentions of Ultima - remember that after IV, you only had four character classes (one of which was the Avatar who was really just the uber-class). I suspect that most people who are willing to try a remake will be willing to look past the discrepancy with canon-Ultima.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:42 pm

PraetorJudis
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
my wife learned that she could "merge" small potions into larger ones

Really? Do you just drop a small potion on top of another small potion?!
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:01 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

From what I understood almost everything gameplay related in Dungeon Siege is coded using scripts. So with enough work you could potentially make anything you would like depending on the limitations of the engine. It actually might have a leg up on the scripting side over the Morrowind Construction set in that skills and stuff of that nature is hard coded into the engine of Morrowind and in DS it is all modifiable by scripts.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:12 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Say you have two half full-heal potions. If you drop one on the other, it will give you one full potion. Same with various sizes of potions.

-v
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:13 pm