Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How many possible characters can you make, Really?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Many reviews have touted: 480 billion possible characters are out there to be created...

By my math:
10 races * 13 birthsigns * 80730 ways to choose 5 major skills * 26334 ways to choose 5 minor skills (that are not the same as the major skills) * 2 genders
=... over 552 billion characters!

...and that's not factoring in customizing appearance, empahsizing certain attributes, etc...

...which begs the question, is Bethseda going to *limit* our character creation in some way? Like Orcs can't have a certain birthsign? *Horrors!*

...or am I overanalyzing things?
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:13 am

Doomisnear
Village Leader
Village Leader

I am wondering if it is possible to add customized skins. I would love to make a humanoid bee/drone warrior or fighter. Could this add to the number of possible characters that can be made? Also did you use a formula to figure out how many characters are possible or did you multiply it out?
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:28 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:

On 2002-04-10 20:13, Anonymous wrote:
...or am I overanalyzing things?

Since you are at a loss of things to do until the game comes out, use your math skills ( ) to answer this question:

It starts snowing steadily sometime before noon. At noon a man begins to shovel snow from the sidewalk at a constant rate. He clears 2 blocks the first 2 hours and 1 block the next 2 hours. When did it start snowing?

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:38 am
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:

On 2002-04-10 20:38, sauron38 wrote:
It starts snowing steadily sometime before noon. At noon a man begins to shovel snow from the sidewalk at a constant rate. He clears 2 blocks the first 2 hours and 1 block the next 2 hours. When did it start snowing?

Seems to me that some information is missing.

Like, how fast is the snow falling. By "constant rate" do you mean volume?
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:13 am
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

So, hang on...

is it still snowing, or did it stop at noon??

How about this one?

Two cars leave point A at 12:00. One heads straight east at 37 mph, the other heads straight west at 24 mph. At exactly the same time, both vehicles make left turns, i.e. one is NOW heading North, the other, South. They do this without losing any speed. At what time are the two vehicles 275 miles apart??

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:17 am
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

~4:30.
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:45 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:

On 2002-04-10 22:13, Lysander wrote:
Seems to me that some information is missing.

Like, how fast is the snow falling. By "constant rate" do you mean volume?

Some nifty calculus (thanks, Dad) will give you the answer. You just know that snow is falling. Yes, he shovels a constant volume of snow.

EDIT: It is not a trick question, nor is there information missing.

[ This Message was edited by: sauron38 on 2002-04-10 23:31 ]
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:23 am

quote:

On 2002-04-10 22:17, iplaygames2 wrote:

How about this one?

Two cars leave point A at 12:00. One heads straight east at 37 mph, the other heads straight west at 24 mph. At exactly the same time, both vehicles make left turns, i.e. one is NOW heading North, the other, South. They do this without losing any speed. At what time are the two vehicles 275 miles apart??

Do we know when the cars make their suicidally sharp turns? The answer I get depends on it...

(for the record, I get approx 4:30 as my answer as well if the cars make their turns *right away*)

For more word problem fun, here's an old chestnut: A car is on a 500 mile long trip, and it drives the first half of the trip (250 miles) at 50 miles/hr. How fast would the car have to drive the second half of the trip in order to average 100 miles/hr for the entire trip?

Oh, erm, I mean, a _Silt Strider_ is on a 500 mile trip...
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:54 am

quote:

On 2002-04-10 20:28, Doomisnear wrote:
I am wondering if it is possible to add customized skins. I would love to make a humanoid bee/drone warrior or fighter. Could this add to the number of possible characters that can be made? Also did you use a formula to figure out how many characters are possible or did you multiply it out?

I beleive I heard somewhere that the Editor will allow imported skins on objects, and maybe characters count as objects...
Honestly, tho, my lame drawing skills would only mess up the sense of immersion for me, so I'll stick to what Bethesda's pro artists come up with...

As to how I came up with my number:
Just did the multiplication above, but to clarify a little:
80730 = 27!/(22! x 5!), the number of ways to pick 5 skills from a set of 27,
26334 = 22!/(17! x 5!), the number of ways to pick 5 skills from the set of 22 remaining skills.

The formula used to come up with these can be found in pretty much any math textbook with a chapter on probablilty.

Well, I officially need something to do.
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 7:17 am

iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

quote:

For more word problem fun, here's an old chestnut: A car is on a 500 mile long trip, and it drives the first half of the trip (250 miles) at 50 miles/hr. How fast would the car have to drive the second half of the trip in order to average 100 miles/hr for the entire trip?

Oh, erm, I mean, a _Silt Strider_ is on a 500 mile trip...

Well, if the silt strider avgs 50 mph for the first 5 hours, then it has 250 miles to go. So, if it travels all 250 miles in one hour, that would make it avg 83.3 mph. So, theoretically, the silt strider in question would have to be a mutant, thereby disqualifying him from consideration for employment in the Elder Scrolls series. The question is, thereby, null and void.

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:55 pm

The answer to the snow question is that it started snowing just before noon..
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:54 pm

quote:

On 2002-04-11 07:55, iplaygames2 wrote:

Well, if the silt strider avgs 50 mph for the first 5 hours, then it has 250 miles to go. So, if it travels all 250 miles in one hour, that would make it avg 83.3 mph. So, theoretically, the silt strider in question would have to be a mutant, thereby disqualifying him from consideration for employment in the Elder Scrolls series. The question is, thereby, null and void.

By the bye, I get 11:00 for the snow question. Very clever problem, tho- even when you figure out the answer, you still can't tell how fast the snow is falling or how fast the person shovels- but the answer is the same no matter what those speeds are.
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:02 pm

Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2002-04-11 08:54, Anonymous wrote:
The answer to the snow question is that it started snowing just before noon..

The answer to the snow question is that it started snowing sometime before noon

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:20 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I want to know exactly, to the minute, when it started snowing.

Again, this is not a trick question, it involves Differential Equations.

11:00 is near, but no.

[ This Message was edited by: sauron38 on 2002-04-11 16:36 ]
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:04 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Well, when someone DOES give you the answer, please, PLEASE show the way you arrived at the exact minute. I'm curious....perhaps I didn't go far enough in my calculus courses..

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:07 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next