Oblivion - Game Informer Magazine 12 page article
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Oblivion - Game Informer Magazine 12 page article

Snagged a copy of Game Informer yesterday. This is the issue with the OBLIVION article. I must say this article and pics is impressive. The illegal scans that were floating around last week do not do it justice. I did not find anything negative in the article...I am quite sure many of you will disagree though as they mentioned the Xbox2 the entire time...barely mentioning the PC.

-1st person view is standard...3rd person is optional like Morrowind
-Guild system like Morrowind and a new Arena guild.
-Magic system like Morrowind
-Items...you can pick up anything and move it like Morrowind
-Horses...you can ride horses into battle, attack from them, take them up mountains all in real-time.(Daggerfall)
-Physics...engine uses HAVOK so you will likely be able to sling corpses and items around like Deus Ex
-Facial expressions…all NPCs have Half-Life2 quality facial expressions.
-1000 NPCs…all have their own AI and work, sleep, night/day routines…they can actually get caught by guards and get the snot kicked out of them while you watch.(Daggerfall)
-Combat, alchemy,lock-picking will be more action-oriented. Did not really go into details on this…the pics look like Morrowind though(1st person with sword).
-The dragon that some people were touting was just a wicked looking Daedroth which is in Morrowind.
-Release Date…Winter 2005
-Setting…Cyrodil
-Size…smaller than Morrowind
-Construction kit does come with PC version.

The good news is...within a month we should start getting some real information from bethsoft and all the game sites. It does look like they are REALLY far along with this game.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:52 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
-Combat, alchemy,lock-picking will be more action-oriented.

From what i gather, in other words:
- combat will be more bloody & visceral. Could you provide full sentence contain the phrase "action-oriented?".
- some sort of "mini-game" when you lock-picking or doing alchemy. The "mini-game" could be like lock-picking as in Thief games.

And yeah, certainly nothing realy need worrying about and generally i'm happy from i heard so far.

About the article heavy references to Xbox or consoles when discussing Oblivion, that's because GI is magazine for console gamers, right? (check the mag).

Edit: more on thieving, from Emilpags who worked on Thied series before;

quote:
As someone who worked on the Thief series for quite a few years, I'm really personally invested in Oblivion's stealth system. (which is ironic, because it was playing a Thief in Daggerfall that got me into Thief to begin with).

Anyway, I'm obviously not at liberty to give out any specifics, but you should know that thieving/sneaking etc. is getting a lot of tender loving care is TES IV.

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:09 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

[quote="RemusEdit: more on thieving, from Emilpags who worked on Thied series before;

quote:
As someone who worked on the Thief series for quite a few years, I'm really personally invested in Oblivion's stealth system. (which is ironic, because it was playing a Thief in Daggerfall that got me into Thief to begin with).

Anyway, I'm obviously not at liberty to give out any specifics, but you should know that thieving/sneaking etc. is getting a lot of tender loving care is TES IV.
[/quote]

This is very cool Remus. I happen to also like the thief game alot. I am a recent Thief fan...converted a few years ago because of playing Morrowind...I liked picking locks so much I had to find a game(Thief2) that could let me do this all the time. I certainly enjoyed Thief1&3 also.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:17 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

This all sounds very good to me... all games in the Thief series are among my all-time favorites.
Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:26 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

*off topic*

Oh jaz i just changed the signature; and btw how do you count the max. 3600 pixels?
Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:12 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

quote:
Oh jaz i just changed the signature; and btw how do you count the max. 3600 pixels?

Height x Width.

Yours is: 80 x 15 = 1200
Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:21 pm