Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
More ToEE
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Are you excited that ToEE uses turn-based combat?
Yes
92%
 92%  [ 12 ]
No
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

Author Thread
hollaholla
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

More ToEE

Regardless of the threads...this is new info so I feel it deserves its own thread...

new screen shots:

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/august03/atari/templeofeepc/screenshots.shtml

and a new preview:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/greyhawkthetempleofee/preview_6073798.html
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:36 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I wouldn't say excited, but I'd say I like that it will be turn based... as long as the combats aren't too long, that is.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:29 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The longer and more tactical the combat, the better; guess I'm getting a bit tired of hack and slash. I just hope they get the interface down, so tactical combat is interesting instead of tedious.
LB
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:58 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

The graphics seem like an upgraded version of BG graphics, which is good thing to me. But... why the heck they show every NPCs avatar on the screen! !.

On turn based-combat, i also hope it will not too long & dragging. The combat period in Fallout is good enough, except when there are about 20 NPCs shooting each other. My terrible experience with turn-based ombat is in Wizardry 8 when confronted by dozen enemies. It took so long to killing them that i forgot my real mission or original destination, and left me scratching my head wonder what i'm doing at the first place in the middle of nowhere/wilderness. The experience turn into nightmare when i spend 15 minutes to dispatched the first group of enemy, before another dozen show up on the horizon. I end up running like hell most of the time, or scream "LEAVE ME ALONE YOU ANNOYING MISERABLE BASTARDS!!!".
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:44 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

LOL! Yep, Wiz8 guys can be quite annoying. The whole combat system there has something of tactical strategy IMO. But I liked Wiz8 anyhow

In fact I like turn-based combat. I can't wait to see ToEE on my PC and look for myself how game mechanics works. I should be a good game. Finally.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:40 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

We shall see. Like all games in general and D&D games in particular this one is guilty (crap) until proven innocent (not crap) in my books.

Though it should be noted the only D&D computer game I have ever hated was Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:44 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Very happy, I choose any time turn-based over real time.
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:18 pm
hollaholla
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by stanthony
LOL! Yep, Wiz8 guys can be quite annoying. The whole combat system there has something of tactical strategy IMO. But I liked Wiz8 anyhow

In fact I like turn-based combat. I can't wait to see ToEE on my PC and look for myself how game mechanics works. I should be a good game. Finally.

Cooll...I guess I realized that I did not say my thoughts...,and well, I for one am excited about that.

Also, Tim Cain appears to have been doing lots of interviews....

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=12701

and then I know I read that there is as chat this Friday at gamespy..too bad for me i might have to miss it since its at 7pm Eastern time..I don't know if I will be able to get to my comp at that time..hopefully they will have a transcript up or something...ya know
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:20 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

In the latest interview with Tim (4 Sept. worthplaying) he said that the game is at least 30-40 hours long. He, he, he, you want to know something funny, when I was playing BG’s I was creating characters for 2 hours and that was only one protagonist. Now I have 5 of them, and because I’m planing to check all the party alignments, let me do the math 5x2x9=90 hours of party creation, well give or take few hours.
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:15 am
Kloetenotto
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
The graphics seem like an upgraded version of BG graphics, which is good thing to me. But... why the heck they show every NPCs avatar on the screen! !.

I think that this shows the order in which characters/monsters have their turn
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:35 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Booooo... Look at this pic here:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/greyhawkthetempleofee/screens.html?page=150
What kind of answer is answer #1?! For god's sake! I certainly believe this is smth from preview version. You can kill the atmosphere of the game by one and only phrase like that! Hey, you do not say things like that. Hi, I'm dual-class fighter/mage, hi, I'm chaotic evil multiclass cleric/thief. Why? What's wrong with them Troika guys?

Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:14 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Um... Chaotic Evil Human Sorcerer is the character's name.

"Hi, I'm Bob" could just as easily have been there.

Blame not Troika for a tester naming their charactrers "Chaotic Evil Human Sorcerer" or "Lawful Good Human Paladin".

Though naming them such during testing is an excellent idea for finding any class/alignment/race bugs.

Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:35 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Thanx, Xen, I just realized my mistake - I though that while introducing himself character also said his allignment and things like that. That would be ugly indeed, huh? Stupid old me

Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:37 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I wouldn't say I'm excited, but its a definite plus that Greyhawk is turn-based: makes combat more strategic, IMO. Although, Bioware's pause feature worked well, it allowed huge onscreen battles with faster combat. I couldn't imagine the time it would take to finish BG2 if combat was turn-based. Not that I would mind a longer BG experience... Let's just say I definitely prefer turn-based over real-time anyday.

My only complaint is the portraits...BG and NWN's portraits were so well done. ToEE's portraits look too Eye of the Beholderish to me...like cartoons. At this point I'm just whining, but I'll miss Bioware's portraits.

In the end, ToEE is game of the year material(although, there's steep competition: KotoR, Gothic 2...); I just hope it lives up to the hype. Morrowind was the last game I became a fanboy of, and it didn't(for me) live up to the hype.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:15 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by The Hurricane
...My only complaint is the portraits...BG and NWN's portraits were so well done. ToEE's portraits look too Eye of the Beholderish to me...like cartoons. At this point I'm just whining, but I'll miss Bioware's portraits...

Many people noticed about the amateurish looks of the portraits. The last i heard Troika had redone/improved the portraits, although don't know how good they will be in the final/retail version.

For GOTY i bet KoTOR would most likely coming up top, while TOEE, Gothic 2 and RiftRunner (if not delayed) competing for second & third places...
Post Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:11 am