Members
Usergroups
I could get lost in this forever. Non-linearity
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
brisance

I could get lost in this forever. Non-linearity

After being programmed by so many RPG's that are so linear, I am struuggling with Morrowind. I mean, I have played for like 8 hours straight and I am still level 1. I don't have any idea what to do next. Not sure whether I will be able to kill anything I meet except Sand Crabs. Running around Pelgiad trying to get some sense of direction. World map doesn't help much in game. Better to use paper map that comes with game. Choices are SO massive as to be intimidating. Not sure what to specialize in, so many choices. Not sure what the best way to advance the fastest is. Still at the very bottom corner spec of the world map. This game is going to take all summer to finish just once!!
Post Sat May 04, 2002 3:19 pm

brisance

Guess what I am really saying is

I could really use some sort of online hints/walkthrough guide to help at least a little bit...
Post Sat May 04, 2002 3:30 pm

Sage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Start by following your first quest and walking to the next town. Or take the quick travel option.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 3:37 pm

What to do

Balmora and its associated Ft. Moonmoth have alot of things to do, and you can advance the main quest there. Follow the signs up to Balmora to get some direction back in your Morrowind life.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 5:14 pm

Dreadloch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Once you join a guild or a faction, things start happening if you start doing their quests. The Mages Guild, as an example, has a LOT of quests, since each guild location has an NPC that will give you a series of quests to do. You see a lot of the MW territory this way and you only begin to appreciate the scope of other quests you can obtain when you stay in the new cities you visit and take on their 'rumors', etc. I'm trying to stay focused on the guild quests, but I am taking notes on other quests I learn about in the other places I visit for when I return.

The non-linearity makes MW more a story about your character instead of a story you participate in. I get anxious at times since there is SO MUCH to do, a lot of factions, guilds, temples, etc. to join, and wonder how it will all get done. I don't plan to do them all with a single character. I will let 'my' story unfold and take me where it will take me. My next character will hopefully uncover a whole other side to this MW adventure...
Post Mon May 06, 2002 3:36 am

In regards to the worldmap. I'm sure its just me being dense but you can resize it like any other window, I just realized this today LOL.

I agree that the paper map is superior? Anyone know if the little x's on the map mean anything. I searched all around where one is located near the Odai Plateau and didnt find anything of note.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 3:59 am

RyeDog
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Those little X's

I don't want to say too much, so all i will say about those X's on the map is that they are not just there for decoration...

Enjoy...
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:04 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

About levelling being slow: yes. At least for the first level. It becomes faster later on. You need to advance in 10 major or minor skills for a level up. - so train them.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:18 am
coradin
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Shoot I didnt log back in when I posted last one. Thanks for the FYI on the x's figured they had to be there for a reason. More wandering around in MW...excellent (considering calling in sick tomorrow).

Getting back to the original subject. I have joined 2 guilds and they have helped quite a bit in seeing the rest of the world (admittedly only the southern portion at this point), but I have made level 7 and done the first main quest task and will start on the next soon.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:20 am