View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Gothnoob
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sound problem - warbling always

Hi,

I just got Gothic so I can run that before getting Gothic 2. My fav games have been BGI and BGII and DivDivinity - currently playing HOMM4. I didn't finish Morrowind (everyone standin round...) or Dungeon Siege (not enough RPing). Anyway, my problem is that all of the sound (music, talking), starting with when the disc is loading, "warbles", even during the splash screens - very distracting so can't stand to play it ! I have not seen this on any other games or programs... If someone can provide clues on how to fix this warble that would be great!

Some of my system specs: PIII 450MHz, 512MB ram, 82440BX chipset, Phoenix BIOS, NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti200, Creative SB Live! Value sound card,Win 98SE.

I tried changing all of the Gothic parameters regarding sound, graphics, music (maybe didn't try ALL of the combinations...). I have done some google searching and looked around various sites, and based on that I updated my Soundblaster driver from 4.6.0.624 (7-14-1999) to 3511.0 (9-13-2001). Still didn't help. I am thinking maybe getting a new soundcard as mine is original which came with my aging computer.

Thanks for any help or clues you could provide!
PS - any more active Gothic sites around?

Gnoob
Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:36 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Just a guess: It could be your sound card drivers. Anyway, you've got a pretty nice system apart from your processor. Have you ever considered upgrading to something better? A 450mhz CPU won't run Gothic 2 (you need at least a 700mhz).

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:49 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Gothnoob,

First, welcome to the forums.

Many Gothic players use the sound blaster cards with no problems (mine is also a soundblaster). The Gamewriters made the soundblaster a specific
"prefferred" default sound driver, its the one that should allways work.

Having said that, there are other problems that can influence the sound
effectiveness. Did you try the "Miles Fast" setting in the game menu, this uses a software emulation? I agree with MageofFire about the latest drivers
but you say you have the latest?

One last word, don't get rid of you s/b card, because if you ever upgrade to Win/xp, it will auto install with no problem.
Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:46 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You should try the other sound providers.
How old is your windows installation? The chance to fix such problems decreases with age.
Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:25 pm
Gothnoob
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi ya, thanks for the feedback Gorath, Wulf, and MageofFire! Here some answers, not necessarily in order...

1) Have you ever considered upgrading to something better? A 450mhz CPU won't run Gothic 2 (you need at least a 700mhz).

Thanks, thats part of the reason I am running Gothic first (as well as to get the story from the start). I can't afford new computer, but am thinking about getting a Powerleap 1.4 Athlon upgrade (~150$), just pops right in to my old Dell from what I hear from a fried who did that (and from their website)....

2) You should try the other sound providers.
How old is your windows installation? The chance to fix such problems decreases with age.

I tried the 3 available providers but saw no difference. Also, I was thinking it might be something else because the warbling happens even when the program is first loading, before I have a chance to start a game.
My windows installation, hmmm, probably about 1.5 years, when my old hard drive died... Hope thats not it, that was a pain to reinstall everything, but could try that...

3) One last word, don't get rid of you s/b card, because if you ever upgrade to Win/xp, it will auto install with no problem.

Thanks, I was thinking about upgrading to XP but my computer is 'not supported" by Msoft for the XP upgrade so didnt want to chance it... Might reconsider if anyone thinks that would work/help?

Let's see, what else - also, I did try the "Miles Fast" emulator. Driver wise, I installed what I think is the up to date driver, but I will check again. It could be some undefined "system thing" and reinstalling system would do it, but I am not ready to try that yet (don't have time for it...). I will do some more investigating and report back when I solve this...

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Gnoob
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:37 am