Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Doom 3's fat zombie in classic horror remake?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Doom 3's fat zombie in classic horror remake?

I'm just watching the remake of Night of the Living Dead on Sci-Fi channel and there's a fat zombie in the house (10-15mins into the film) who bears an uncanny resemblance to the overweight enemy in Doom3. Doubt I'll get another chance to examine him, as the psychic bird from Babylon 5 just killed him via the unholy coming-together of crowbar and brain. Rest in peace, fat zombie.
Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:45 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I thought the fat guy looked like Tor Johnson of Ed-Wood-movies-fame...
Post Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:34 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Your talking about good ol' dead Uncle Regis. I enjoyed that remake alot!
A particularly cool zombie was that one who she nails with her truck on the way in to Reg's pad. He's all twisted around with his back broken, looking like some kinda crab-zombie, or maybe doing some sort of advanced zombie yoga or something. Doesnt deter him tho, he's still gnashing his teeth and still got the spirit!

Yep, Uncle Reg does sort of look like "Tor's Last Stand" Jaz
Thanks for turning me on to the cool Tor link btw ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:38 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Sorry, I forgot to add that I haven't seen the NotLD remake (yet) - I was referring to the Doom 3 zombie when I wrote 'fat guy'. So I take it these three lads (Regis, Tor and the Doom zombie) have much in common, eh?
Post Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:12 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

They could be twins. Err... triplets. The film was probably better than you'd expect from a remake - especially a remake of such a classic. It was co-written by Romero, and it has a kind of "remixed" feel to it - mostly pretty familiar if you've seen the original, but with a few surprises.

The scene where Patricia Tallman beats fatty over the head with a crowbar is a bit of a low-budget giveaway though - in a couple of shots, she's facing toward the camera, and we can see the back of the zombie's head & shoulders. It's quite obviously a big rubber "thing" on a stick, you can easily imagine the guy stooping below shot, holding it up - and every time the screaming heroine strikes it, it does a little rubbery jiggle all over.

Day of the Dead was always my favourite. Wonder if anyone will remake it?
Post Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:46 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

In comparing the portly foe in D3 to the dearly missed Uncle Regis himself-

Notice the forward slump, and the appearance of a similar gait. This zombie wants to move fast, but simply cannot. I can see both of these zombies lurching forward far slower than the average shambling corpse, their elephantine torsos slowing them down even in undeath. I would immediately call out the difference in the unfortunate facial trauma Regis suffered as a major point deduction, but if I remember correctly, I have seen quite a few of the hefty D3 zombies that have their entire faces ripped off or burned on one side. If I remember correctly, Regis also has hair on his head, something the D3 obese zombies do not have. The D3 revenant also appears a bit more muscular, as to where Regis may have the girth, but his chest is a bit lacking. We would have to see Uncle Regis without his overalls on to make a better comparison.

comparing the D3 zombie to the lovable Tor Johnson-

The eyes rolled back, the mouth open in thrall, the upward groggy stare, possibly pleading with the powers that be to release him from this mortal coil. It doesnt look so much like he's struggling to move faster, it's just like he's resigned to the fact he's a zombie, and just doesnt really care anymore. Just lookin for a bite to eat, ya know. Tor isnt as fat as the D3 zombie, he is a big guy, but he just doesnt look as seriously obese. Doom zombie's a bit more toothy than Tor, but overall I think the expressionistic comparison with Tor is dead-on, Professor Jaz. Good eye!

found a good Vampira pic too ='.'=

“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:40 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

lol! Nice work there Sam, and I must agree the Tor/zombie likeness is uncanny.

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
We would have to see Uncle Regis without his overalls on to make a better comparison.

Nnnnnooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:08 pm
Conan The Librarian
City Guard
City Guard

Tor Johnson ate the UAC receptionist! Awe.

Has anyboby reported this to HR or Liaison yet?
Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:59 am