Usergroups
Join Multi guilds?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Fabio
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Bioware is Canadian and its games were published by American companies. Black Isle/Interplay is American. Arx Fatalis is French. Divine Divinity is Belgian. Gothic Series is German. Arcanum was made by Troika which is American.

By the way, even Max Payne and GTA3 are non-US.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:42 pm
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

So I wasn't entirely off. Some of, in my opinion, the best RPG's are American, then.
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:47 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by madglee
So I wasn't entirely off. Some of, in my opinion, the best RPG's are American, then.

But so are some of the worst! I think it might just be a question of volume. If country/company A produces 100 games of which 10 are great it does not mean they produce better games than country/company B which produced 15 over all, 2 of which where great.
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:55 am
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

That's true, too. Hehe. There are SO many crap us games i can't even count.
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:23 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by madglee
That's true, too. Hehe. There are SO many crap us games i can't even count.

I donīt think youīre right. I would rather say there arenīt many crap games nowadays. A generic 75% FPS can hardly be called a crap game. Unreal 2 is the perfect example. High production values, big budget but uncreative and generic gameplay. Mediocre and simply not interesting for me.
Hitman on the other hand isnīt necessarily a better game than Unreal 2, but itīs definitely more interesting.

My impression is that most - of course not all - North American and UK titles are the gaming equivalent to a Jerry Bruckheimer movie. Technically perfect, designed to provide a quick fix for a mainstream audience.
The situation in the RPG genre is (decreasingly) better. A BG2 is mainstream inside the genre, still way more interesting than the average shooter, though. You noticed 'franchises' are transfered to other genres and platforms? Fallout Tactics, BG Dark Alliance ....
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:56 pm
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Well, I'd say 75% of all PC games on the market are basically crap, regardless of where they were made. Uninspired, bad AI, boring, re-hashes of the same old thing, be they FPS, RTS, RPG, or adventure. Even if it had a high budget, those things make it what I call crap. In each genre there a few gems, but not many. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by mainstream; my definition of mainstream is something like the Tomb Raider series. A terrible game but one played by a lot of people. I wouldn't consider BG mainstream. It's one of the best modern day RPG's ever made.

The other thing I've noticed is that RPG's as a genre don't appeal to what I consider mainstream. Most mainstream people just pick up a FPS or an action/adventure like Tomb Raider or UT2003. They don't want to deal with a complex storyline or any micromanagement. I haven't played Fallout Tactics..it looks suspicious to me, even though I love the Fallout series. I tried BG Dark Alliance on my xbox and it is horrible. Some sort of diabloesque crap.

Hitman was a decent game at best...Hitman 2 was absolutely brilliant as a ..well what the hell is it..action/adventure/FPS. System shock 2 and deus ex were both great FPS/RPG's.

Give me an example of an RPG that is not mainstream inside the genre so I can see what you mean. Diablo, to me, is a mainstream RPG. BG, Fallout, Planescape, Icewind, Divine Divinity aren't, at least in my opinion.
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:19 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3