Opinions of the game, please
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Opinions of the game, please

I just bought this game. I was going to try the demo but it will take 3 hours to DL. I haven't opened it yet.

Can anyone tell me their opinion?

I currently play Gothic and am waiting for Gothic II. Diablo II and Myst are some favorites of mine.

How is this game overall?

I noticed the gameplay is first person, like Wolfenstein? I guess I'm not used to first person adventiure games.

I guess I just need a few bits of info about the game overall. Anything good or bad will help in my decision.

Thanks IA ~T
Post Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:10 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Game Review

I think it's great. I played Myst and like this one lots more. My advise would be download the patch right away after install, then, if you can spare the paper, print out the PDF file. Try and play once without the walkthrough, but don't let yourself get frustrated before turning to it. It's more like a book about Arx, and using it still gives you a lot of surprizes and leaves a lot to find on your own. Use the maps for the real details and to find the missing items. It's a great game and you will find yourself playing for hours to get to the next level and next quest. Also read the forum posts. There are so many ways to do things in Arx and a lot of them are listed in the Posts here. Enjoy.
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:23 am
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Excellent! Thank you for that!
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:52 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I very much enjoyed Arx, although it probably fell a little short of it's potential. Arx presents an excellent world with a brilliant atmosphere. OTOH it's entirely linear and I think some of the puzzles are too hard. It's definitely worth playing, but bear in mind most players will need help or have to refer to the walkthrough at some stage.
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:54 am
Guardian Defender
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

There are things I liked and there are things I hated about this game. I love the graphics and the immersion. Atmosphere is something that is NOT lacking in this game. by the time you see your first spider you will probably be too freaked out to fight and run. Also the story is very good. Something I dont like though is the amount of side quests. This game feels like its on wheels. It has some freedom but not that much because it is a bit closed off. Hopefully in arx 2 you go above ground. My problem with the game is that sometimes it gets a bit slow. even the fighting is slow. The story slows down. Even your walking speed is slow. I know that not much of a complaint but what the hell. Also the ending got me angry. But all around i like this game...oh yeah and the voice acting for the maincharacter could be a bit better. BUt truly i like this game
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:37 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

This is definitely one of the best games I've ever played, despite its few flaws. Don't get frutrated, there are a couple of excellent walkthrus available and this board and the official JoWood board will have an answer to every question, sometimes (the crypt) with helpful diagrams available. You won't be disappointed.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:59 am
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Thank you, thank you!

This has been most helpful!

I DL'd the demo last night and tried the first bit. I couldn't get my bearings at all. It was hard for me to pick up the skull for some reason and then with the ratman, well, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to kill him until it was too late.

I'm going to attempt this again!

~T
Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:53 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Thing is you can't pick up skulls, you can only carry them around (dunno why really, mostly because they're usesless).

And they're goblins not ratmen...
Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:29 am
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Doh!

That's what I get for not reading a manual.

Thanks for the correction! No wonder I got my butt kicked by it.

~T

BTW, I think I figured out why I thought it was a rat. Somewhere in the intro there was a ratman. Also, in the manual there is a ratman. I didn't think I was going crazy.

[edit]figured "USE" key out.[/edit]
Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:57 am