View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Deadeye
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Got the U.K version - need advice please

Hi all,
Just picked up the game yesterday - really like the look of it...
However, having never played the first Gothic, there are a couple of things I couldn't find the answer to in the manual.
Is there any way to use healing potions/plants during combat - I'm taking a lot of damage just fighting a wolf cub and can only heal myself if I win the fight..?
I have the controls set as classic Gothic I setting - which I gather many of you prefer - is it normal not to be able to use the mouse on the inventory screen?

*=* Possible Spoiler *=*
/
/
/
/

I met up with Canthar near the farm, and agreed to repay the favour in exchange for his city pass... then realised that there was another option to achieve the same goal working for the farmer. Having not got too much farther than this can anyone suggest if I'll regret owing Canthar a favour?
Would I be better off working the land and getting in the city that way?

Also, I read that there are a number of changes that can be made to the .ini file - however no-one has actually listed what they are. Can anyone here shed any light on any changes worth making..?

And that's it for now...
Appreciate any suggestions you may have,
Thanks in advance,
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:24 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Got the U.K version - need advice please

Hi Deadeye,
welcome to the boards!

I moved your thread to the spoiler forum.

quote:
Originally posted by Deadeye
Hi all,
Just picked up the game yesterday - really like the look of it...
However, having never played the first Gothic, there are a couple of things I couldn't find the answer to in the manual.
Is there any way to use healing potions/plants during combat - I'm taking a lot of damage just fighting a wolf cub and can only heal myself if I win the fight..?

You can activate instant potions in the gothic.ini. This file is surely worth a look. Nevertheless I wouldnīt activate it. The Gothics are meant to be played slowly. Youīll find masses of healing food/plants/potions/spells. If you activate the hotkeys the game will be too easy.

quote:
I have the controls set as classic Gothic I setting - which I gather many of you prefer - is it normal not to be able to use the mouse on the inventory screen?
Yes, and still most people will say itīs a huge improvement. You can use the highlighted item with the mouse button.

The classic combat setting is more complicated than the new one. If you find the other one easier you should use it. It was added because many players -and especially reviewers- were unwilling to spend 30 minutes till they master combat.
One-click-combat is more responsive, the classic setup has combo attacks.

quote:

I met up with Canthar near the farm, and agreed to repay the favour in exchange for his city pass... then realised that there was another option to achieve the same goal working for the farmer. Having not got too much farther than this can anyone suggest if I'll regret owing Canthar a favour?
Would I be better off working the land and getting in the city that way?

Do what you want. This decision has consequences, but itīs no dead end. Both paths can cause trouble.

quote:

Also, I read that there are a number of changes that can be made to the .ini file - however no-one has actually listed what they are. Can anyone here shed any light on any changes worth making..?

Maybe somebody else wants to spend his time on this. The gothic.ini is documented. Read the annotations and only change something if youīre sure.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:05 am
Deadeye
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks Gorath - Decided to use the pass and see what eventually happens.
The thing I was looking to play with in the .ini file was a setting for draw distance. I looked through the various settings there late last night but didn't spot one relating to draw distance.... were my eyes too tired, or is this feature listed elswhere??

BTW - what connection does Gothic have with Arx Fatalis? I noticed theres a demo of it on the CD's, and some similarities in both games such as cooking food on stoves etc.... merely curious.
Regards,
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:26 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Itīs easier to use the options menu or the hotkeys to adjust the draw viewing distance.

Arx has the same publisher (JoWooD).
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:33 pm
Deadeye
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Appreciate the quick response - there's always lots to get the hang of when you first begin a new RPG... especially if, like me, you've not played the prequel.
On my way to the first town my character gained a level - whoopee... but apart from my health going up nothing else changed. Am I missing something or is this normal?
I'm sure I'll have some more newbie questions to ask soon enough....
Thanks,
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:21 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

No problemo!
Maybe you should download our Gothic FAQ. Delete the 2nd half (-->walkthrough). Most of the rest is still valid for Gothic 2.

You earn 10 skill points per level. Now you have to find a teacher for the skill you want to learn.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:26 pm
Deadeye
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

OK - will look at the faq now - had assumed it was not relevant to Gothic II.
thanks again...
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:29 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The magic section is outdated. The given formulas also. The combat part could be useful.

Okay, now that I think about it, read the combat chapter and briefly scan over the rest.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:39 pm