Is the Orc Smarter in Gothic 1?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Is the Orc Smarter in Gothic 1?

Seems like the old G2 combat patterns don't apply. I never had to parry an Orc in Gothic 2. Did they actually soften up the Orc in G2?

I was just fighting them tonight at the beginning of Chapter 3 here in G1. I'm level 2 single hander with a long sword of 46 damage and 48 strength. It takes 5 hits to take it down but I can no longer dodge the swings - I have to parry. In G2 the Orc did sloppy overhead swings for the most part, leaving his flank wide open.

This game continues to amaze me. Its much harder but more rewarding than G2.

Still love G2 as well though!
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:02 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think Orc's in Gothic II are much more easy to beat.
In gothic II you can just swing you 1 handed sword from left to right and back and you didn't ever have to parry. This works on all orc's.
Downside is that in Gothic II when the orc stands arround with others and 1 notices you, they all draw their axes and come storming at you. You have to be able to take them 1 at a time for the abovementioned strategy to work.
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:58 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Yes, it is a fundamental question ToddMcF2002,
...the orc in G1 is placed somewhat differently in the storyline than in G2.

Xardas says the orc culture is as old as the human race, the orcs are guarding the land which is theirs by right and pc-hero is encroaching upon their land when he goes about his quests. Why should a (suggestive "holy foe") kill any orcs for that matter?
It is little realised by most players that all tasks throughout the original gothic (G1) can be completed without physical hero actual violence.
You may (or may not) come to realise through the dialogue and from the new game start video, that there is an inference that you (pc-hero) are more than 'normal' - you may be an agent of the gods and are (unknowingly) being judged "BY YOUR DEEDS" in the earlier chapters, yet sadly the majority of player choose to ignore this and use the hack-n-slash approach - not a wise decision as per the recipe book-1... "where there is bitterness there is no wisdom" and per the mages "the discipline of a man" etc'.

I have just completed yet another round of G1 without killing one orc or npc, it isn't hard by any means, in fact this method is very addictive and enjoyable. Of course - this is only one of several approaches to the game as the player decides a "choice-by-their-own-personality" playing method.
Post Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:53 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

So you left the Orcs to plunder and murder eh? I prefer a more cleansing approach myself.

After completing the Orc cemetary I realize I was in error.

The Orc "Scout" doesnt do the wild overhead swing leaving his flank exposed. Its the armoured Orc "Warrior" - and he is just as dumb as he is in G2. The only issue is I'm not powerful enough to take him out before he recovers from his wild lunge and turns. So I have to go into a parry sequence and that takes a few rounds.

The Orc Scouts come right at you. I can get the jump on them and take them down to 25% health but I have to parry at that point and take them on the next opening.
Post Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:28 pm
Oric
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ahh the orc cemetary. I trained my guy for one-handed and strength only, and I was at a rather high lvl. I couldnt even get into it cuz of those bloodhounds/orc dog things guarding it. I decided to climb the tree next to the cliff and shoot them down. I should say that that was a stupid idea, because at the time i didnt have any bow or dexterity skills, and it took forever. Might of just tried spitting them down, that might of been more effective.

But about the orcs. When fighting the plain orcs in either G1 or G2, it was very easy. But the orc warriors in G1 are tougher. Thats also partly because (IMO) G1 controls are harder, and G2 controls were more fleuent. I remember in gothic 2 in the 5th chapter, was walking from the city on the path to Xardas's and around 10 orcs approached me. I drank a speed potion and charged at the orcs. 10 Vs 1. I beat them after a long battle, but it was very rewarding.

But I dont think the orcs are smarter or dumber in either gothic game, except as EDV said, if one spots you in a group, they all come at you.
Post Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:50 am