Usergroups
Mods you use and would suggest to others
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
XmirroR
Village Leader
Village Leader

I know zilch about XboX, and as such know less about XboX 360 or any console unit for that matter.

The vanillia game out-of-the-box has garnered some of the best reveiws in history. I for the life of me cant figure out why? The game is shallow and uninspired. But this I assume is a traight of console world round. So I have no quibble with it being they very best RPG ever on a console. It simplly could be true. It simplly could be true with numerous qualifications regarding consoles. But It clearly is not the best RPG to ever arrive on the PC gaming scene, ANd any reveiw that pretends it is, is more than just malaligined.

There are numerous coders out there trying to fix the game. Numerous individuals spending their free-time, trying to ensure those people who have a PC and the PC versiono f the game get a better experience than the out-of-the-box Oblivion had to offer.

And I as well as you, intend to make my experience with oblivion a better experience... I have persoanlly offered MODs to the community that are worth the effort invested in them.

The problem comes when some one assumes there will be a fix all MOD.

There can never be a fix all MOD. Ther can be a numer of MODs that suit your style of gameplay. And defineing your style of gameplay becomes the very first step.

For me, I define my style of gameplay as realism. I require as much realism as I can get from a game. And a MODable game just means that it leaves my level of realism in my hands.

I dont mean to be harsh, but until you define your level of gameplay, no one will be able to accurately help you find the MODs that support your gameplay style.

I hope I dont seem harsh, I hope I dont seem short.

I hope I can encourage you to shar with your community the desires you have for your perfect game. And I hope the community will live up to my expectation and provide you resources to find your perfect game, and even then, if the resources aren't available, there are persons willing to help improve the game, just explain your needs in an appropriate forum, and it is more than likely that your needs if possible, will be accomplished.

-= XmirroR =-

======================
Post Wed May 17, 2006 2:59 pm
Tjvelcro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I totally understand what you are saying, I basically have to narrow my vision and look for those type of mods. I may even end up with 10-15 mods so that I can play the way I want. So maybe Ill make a list of things that I think should should improve my experiece with oblivion and maybe someone can point me in that direction.

Like XmirroR I want realism also, so anything that adds to the experience in a realistic way would be good.

1st The distant ground textures look really bad - thus a texture fixing mod is needed
2nd There is no need for torchs because it isnt dark enough and they dont emit enough light.
3rd The scaling system is pretty annoying, I would like a mod that adds a bit of surprise/challenge to the adventure as well as treasure.
4th Any mod that helps out realism or visibly improves graphics.

I may DL tweaper and try editing the ini file agian.

PS How do you take screenshots?

Tjvelcro
Post Wed May 17, 2006 3:56 pm
XmirroR
Village Leader
Village Leader

avoid using in game snaps...
Download FRAPS and use it only when you need it.

or if you use an ATI card you can use ATI tray tools.
and you should consider Omega Drivers for ATI

-Dejunai

-= XmirroR =-

======================
Post Wed May 17, 2006 4:19 pm
Zaleukos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've used Oscuros Oblivion overhaul, it fixes the autoscaling problem to some extent as well as the ridiculous loot scaling. I've also used a quickstart mod without any problems, but I dont recall the name of it. And I've tried a mod that simply gives a +1 to an attribute once related skills have been increased thrice (to remove the incentive for unnatural tactical levelling) but I ended up with an underpowered char using that.

I would like to have mods that add the following (essentially the "backdates to Morrowind" that I miss):
Skill requirements for promotions.
Extra factions with longer questlines.
Extra quests.
Extra weapons and armour skills (I can live without spears, but I would like to have a dagger, an axe, and a medium armour skill).
A mod to adress the friendly fire problem. The combat AI makes any quest with allies a pain.

The problem is finding quest and faction mods that integrate well with the gameworld and dont conflict with each other. I dont have the time to wade through mod archives and find these things, and I really think they should have been in the game from the start. This is supposed to be a finished game and not a sandbox a la Neverwinter Nights.
Post Thu May 18, 2006 2:26 pm
Squeek
Village Leader
Village Leader

I also recommend Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, even the first time through the game. Otherwise, try another balancing mod.

No matter what, use the BTmod. You will kick yourself for not using it sooner -- it's that good. I would call it essential.
Post Thu May 18, 2006 5:58 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

While I agree about the hassles of friendly fire and allies (most of whom are stupid and suicidal) at least it's realistic that they get injured/killed when they lead in front of your Frost or Fireball spell!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri May 19, 2006 6:57 am
mcollins27
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wasn't rendelius writing an article on his mods?
Post Wed May 24, 2006 4:54 am
axewater
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I do little mod of the day reviews on my site (see signature). Those are all the mods I can really recommend to others.

Play Retrogames
Post Wed May 24, 2006 12:06 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hmm, axewater - tell us a bit more about Heather Golightly, sounds and looks like very friendly type of girl, does her stat's level-up with with the main character? how does she fight? - does she auto attack or wait for first strike? - can she use a bow from a set-back distance etc' - any tactic variables?
Post Wed May 24, 2006 4:37 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

quote:
"tell us a bit more about Heather Golightly"

She is based on an early version of one of my favorite mods called Gabrielle, by Aridale.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=427270
I have meant to try Heather (I thought she was named Holly) but I have stopped playing for a while.
Since she can be nude and have relations with the player, no thread exist on Offical forums, it is best to download her and read the readme.

Gabby has really progressed we are on the 5th thread, I was lucky to try her out on my first play through since I got bored with the vanilla version of the game and have been using every version.
She now has a horse, voice and new interface to mention just a few.
Plus Aridale has now built a system to teach Gabby to be a Mage companion, has made every spell buyable as a scroll to give to Gabby which will teach her the spell, which is can use as long as she has the mana and spell level required to cast it.

There is one incredibly good mod that is a must for RPGers thou most people don't even know about it.
If you hate having Popups being thrown in your face at EVERY stage of a quest telling you everything and NOT letting you think for yourself or open your Journal on your own if you choose too.
Then rejoice turn your Oblivion console to PC port into a much closer to a real RPG game try this.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=394787&st=0

I have tried to keep this mod bumped since it is so important but alas with 3000 post a day going through the Mod section, it has been impossible.

Natural Faces is amazing at version .9 now.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=412381&st=0

Eshme's Nude Bodies, sorry girls don't think she has made it for male PCs yet.
Ok, all you guys owe me a beer as I was the one whom suggested the Black Lace undie, which is by far the best looking one.
Clothing can be used as Armor by using the CS to make an enchament using what ever you like, i.e. Shields or Resistances to compensate for not having an Armor rating.
http://canadianice.ufrealms.net/forum2/index.php?topic=3008.0

Here is a Pic of Buffy (my toon, left) Gabby (right) in there new Armor.
http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=buffygabby1ts.jpg

Here is Darn's continuted work on BTMods (which stop, if I recall) also a must , you can pick and choose which features you want by checking the posted Pics then downloading accordingly.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=417577

Here a mod I made when, I found out that the orginal mod Faster Turning Horses did not really work, since there was no data in the esp.
http://www.tessource.net/files/cache/3477.html

I am mostly going on memory since i haven't played it in about 2 weeks due to burnout.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 7:00 am
Imago Storm
Dremora
Dremora

http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Playable_Dremora

This is what I'm currently playing with - Kikai's playable Dremora mod. It didn't cause any problems so far; the only problem I thought was related to the mod (seemingly random CTDs) was in fact due to my frequent use of a quite regular light spell which and not related to the mod at all.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 9:31 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2