Holy water
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

Holy water

I used the Holy water found at the Cemetary entrance,killed every thing but can't get any more. Where is the next place to get some?I'm heading to Tryton right now after going back tyo Arnika and trying to buy some, no luck. thanks.
Post Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:24 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Braffit in Arnika will occasionally have it, but evidently not when you were there. Your next option is in Trynton. There's a merchant (Fuzzfas) on the second bough that sells lots of potions. He usually has holy water, but not all the time. If you get tired of hunting, you can sleep 3 times (24 hours) near a merchant and their inventory will update. It's still no guarantee that the item you want will pop up, but it at least gives you a chance.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:52 pm
otter
One of Us

Merchant inventories are restocked in 8-hour sections, at 2:00, 10:00 and 18:00. Each section will produce a distinct set, say, maybe 2:00 Braffitt gets heal potions. If you save the game just before kissing the Merchant, you can reload to get more chances to find what you want. Sometimes this doesn't apply to the first time you meet a Merchant, but after the next interval it does.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
You can PP Holy Water from He'li, if you're unpatched, or kill her for one.
Crock sells'm.
Post Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:50 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

No kidding? I thought sure it was a daily update, not every 8 hours. Hmmm. Always something new to learn.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:21 am
otter
One of Us

Well, for each item it's 24 hours, but they're grouped into 3 shifts, and reloading at a given time changes that shift's stuff, so if you're (eg.) at Antone looking for a Hammer, you gotta find out which shift it's on (that's random, set when you first kiss the Merchant) to reload the right save until it's there.
Quantities also change when you reload, this is important if you're mixing potions; the shift they restock potions on will usually show 5, 10, or 15 L. or M. Heals, and this changes to 4, 9, and 14 in the off shifts, so it's easier to see which shift the potions come in on.
Some things (most notably missile ammo) collect up, and this can also be useful for Alchemizers. (my fave example of this is Braffit's collection of Cure Disease and CLC's). But other useful things don't collect up, for example unbought L. & M. Heals vanish when the new # is rolled. So if you spend a while in a zone with Merchants who sell potions, it's good to go every day to get more to mix. Or, if you're looking for Holy Water, to throw...
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:31 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

So is it real or just my imagination that buying up stuff from a merchant's inventory will cause them to do a better job of restocking? For instance, I know that a merchant's inventory can fill up (often with regular arrows, stones, and quarrels), leaving no room for restocks, but it seems that clearing out their inventory increases the odds of a good restock of everything. Fact or fiction?
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:27 pm
otter
One of Us

Yah. They can get silly amounts of arrows. My first game, i fooled around in the Swamp so long that Crock had arrows and quarrels in bundles of 3 and up; when i bought them and sold them back in 100's, he got noticably healthier restocks. (i did it because i was sick of scrolling through them all, and accidentally discovered the restock improvement)
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:36 pm