Members
Usergroups
Ekim's Gamer View: Commenting the News
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

Ekim's Gamer View: Commenting the News

This week <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=553">Ekim takes a look at the games we can expect this year</a> and he compares them to last year's flood of great titles...speaking of last year, where is Gothic 2, he wonders:<blockquote><em>Where art thou, Gothic 2? Please pardon my bad Shakespeare… but is it just me or am I feeling left out? While Piranha Bytes is busy announcing an add-on and confirming rumors about a Gothic 3, we're still waiting for our own version of the second title of the series here in America…. And all the while we keep expecting greatness. Of course, those who already played the game will tell us we have nothing to worry about, but then again sometimes when you expect something too much you end up being disappointed. I don't doubt the game will be good, I just wonder how much longer we can wait. Let's just hope that Jowood (or whoever else publishes the game here) does a better job at marketing the Gothic 2 than what they did for Arx Fatalis, or even the first Gothic for that matter.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:06 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

A welcomed break

I welcome this break in releases of CRPGs. With a full time job, a wife, and a newborn, I'm still prodding my way through many CRPGs from last year... not to mention that I'm sidetracked now by the new Gamecube Legend of Zelda /runs and ducks for cover...

While there is a slow down in releases of CRPGs, the CRPG climate is very much different from the mid-90s when there was literally nothing available and nothing coming on the horizon... and all other prior CRPGs had been played... it was a sad time. I was forced to play Doom and Doom 2 in those days (though it was fun blowing up my friends and co-workers).
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:09 pm
Garrett

@Ekim reg KotOR: Why bother to play KotOR on an XBox, it will runs at least as great on a PC and Bioware promised to take full advantage of the PC...
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:11 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

@Garrett: It will run good on some PCs, but it will run on every Xbox . Had to say that. Was brought up as a console kid.
@Neptiofpovar: I'm still playing Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom when I don't feel like playing something else.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:16 pm
Garrett

ahhhh...when people know how to configure their PCs correctly it will run better on PCs...XBox is already 2 years old
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:17 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Yeah, but still... with a console all you need to do is chuck in the game, whereas it can take weeks trying to find out why a game just doesn't run on a certain PC. There are some genres I prefer playing on my PC while there are others I would never consider buying for PC.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:26 pm
Garrett

hmmm...it never took me several weeks to get a game to run on a PC...longest was 3 days for Doom 2 where I needed an network driver for some strange reason...under windows I never had any problems...

What games do you prefer for PCs and what for consoles?
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:30 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Garrett
@Ekim reg KotOR: Why bother to play KotOR on an XBox, it will runs at least as great on a PC and Bioware promised to take full advantage of the PC...

Beyond configuring your pC (which I don't think is an issue as far as I'm concerned by the way) is the problem of release. KotOR is sceduled for release in June for the Xbox, but only in September for PC!!!! I'm just saying I might not be able to hold out, especially if the game is well received I know, I know... I shouldn't be this way, but I'm feeling myself slipping....
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:34 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I know the feeling. I've been debating getting a P2 for a while now just for playing Final Fantasy. The Gamecube also looks to have a few interesting games (Rogue Squadron, the first decent Star Wars game in a long time, and the first not to be converted to PC). To be honest, the PC will always be my main gaming machine, as even if I never buy another game, my backlog is so large that I could be playing for many years to come.

Never had a problem getting a game to run, except for Ultima Underworld 2 (the days of mem configuration)
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:30 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

@Garrett: I for one thing had mega-trouble to keep Morrowind from CTDing. Got better with one patch, worse with the next, and if you read the MW forums, I'm not the only one. Or Gothic... my Gothic crashed all around me after about five minutes into the game. I installed patches. I installed new HW drivers. I installed a different OS. I exchanged my sound card. I exchanged my video card. I upgraded RAM. I exchanged my RAM. I exchanged my processor. Nothing did help, the game insisted on crashing. I went through all BIOS settings... and lo and behold, tinkering with VCore voltage (i.e., overclocking the power source) did the trick. Should have exchanged my mainboard and casing and power source as well, huh?
On the other hand, I remember one console game crashing on me. That was Mortal Kombat (the first one) for SNES, and it crashed exactly once, and only after I had cheated (needless to say I never again cheated in a console game). I didn't have to exchange a single part, and I didn't have to tinker with settings.
I made my case for consoles. Just don't believe I don't like computers, I do. They do have certain advantages over consoles, and vice versa.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:38 pm
Garrett

Ok, I haven't played MW, but Gothic ran smooth and stable...Had a few crashes with Arx Fatalis though! Still no reason to buy a console...that is until Arx comes out on XBox
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:55 pm

Where is Blood Moon?

What, not one mention of the Morrowind expansion Blood Moon? Morrowind has quite an active and large mod community and deserves similar footing with NeverWinterNights. And its graphics are more than servicable and should keep players happy for years to come.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:30 pm

Dwango
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: Where is Blood Moon?

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
What, not one mention of the Morrowind expansion Blood Moon? Morrowind has quite an active and large mod community and deserves similar footing with NeverWinterNights. And its graphics are more than servicable and should keep players happy for years to come.

Sorry, that was me. Problems logging on.

-Dwango
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:34 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

See, that's what I meant. Gothic ran stable for you and unstable for me. Arx ran stable for me and unstable for you. With a console you don't have that problem. You'll have others . I'm not going to buy a console anytime soon, I still have four of them (even my beloved Atari 2600), but for me there are many reasons to buy consoles - beat'em ups (one of my three favorite gaming genres), jump'n runs... playing those on a PC just doesn't feel right to me. It's all a matter of taste, and couldn't exist without my PC nor without my consoles. And Ekim got the release thing right, some games are released earlier on consoles. If you're impatient like me, that's another reason. I was done with my 'box Splinter Cell long before it was released for PC. Sure, it does look better on my PC, but that's just an additional bonus.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:35 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Re: Where is Blood Moon?

quote:
Originally posted by Dwango

You know, you're right. I did think about mentioning Blood Moon, but quite honestly I didn't have anything interesting to say about it Not that the game doesn't seem interesting, mind you. It's just taht in the interest of editorialising, I just didn't have anything to add about it. Morrowind is a great game, and I already said a lot to that effect in an earier editorial last year. To be quite honest I just stopped playing with Morrowind after Tribunal. I come back to it once in a while, but NWN is where I spend most of my time.

But Blood Moon should be interesting, and maybe it'll make me go back to Morrowind for a while when it comes out
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:48 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next