FAQ
Members
Usergroups
wizardry newbie, need party formation advice
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread

Hello all!

I just got my copy of the game by mail all the way from Canada to Europe and have the time here at work to think about my first party.
I have to admit, I never played ANY of the wizardry titles before, though I am quite familiar with (computer) roleplaying games of all sorts.

Yesterday and this morning I did some research on the web and have found some very good websites about Wiz8 (one of them being Jandrall's website).

Here are my thoughts on the party I will build:

Dracon Fighter (male)
Human Samurai (male)
Hobbit Rogue (male)
Human Monk (female)
Felpurr Ranger (male)
Elf Bishop (female)

Alternatively I would go with a Faerie Bishop instead of the Elf Bishop. As well I would really love to have a bard in my party since bards rock in almost every game I played (excluding DND of course) but cannot decide whom to switch. So far I think I could either change the ranger or the rogue to a bard...
As well I have read that Ninjas are great as well, so would a change from my monk to a ninja be good? Would it be wise to multiclass any of them?

Please reply...
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:27 pm

Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Okay, My opinion.

If you want the Ranger, go for a "Mook" instead of the "Felpur".

Seen in the light that I know what you can recruit out in the gameworld, I would say that you should find another character than the "Monk". I can highly recommend a "Farie mage". Many things will be easier in the game with both a mage and a bishop, but the beauty of the game, is that many combinations are possible, and still getting a strong party. Personally I would change the "Rogue" to a "Gadgeteer" or a "Bard".
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:14 pm

I have already thought about the Mook Ranger, but fact is I do not really like this Mook race at all... looks kinda disturbing to me, and these cat people look really cute

For the bard/rogue thing I think I will start a Hobbit Bard and multiclass him to a Rogue when he reaches lvl 10 (max) and has a moderately high instruments skill.

I played the wiz8 demo quite a lot and really liked the monk character class. I figured that if I have a bishop I could forget about other speciality spellcasters since the bishop can learn all good spells of all schools/realms. Am I wrong here?
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:28 pm

vorticone
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Waaah I hate anonymous posts... am registered now, for easier reference
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:31 pm

You are not wrong - the Bishop can learn spells from all realms of magic, but his progression is a LOT slower than a pure spellcaster would be.

Since you've seen his site, check out Jandrall's 'spotlights': the Bishop version gives a good example of how to help your Bishop reach his fullest potential as quickly as possible. Somewhere else I found another option that concentrated on both the Alchemy/Earth and Divinity/Mental realms at first...

Good luck, and enjoy this great game!
- Corey
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:45 pm

vorticone
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Corey,

with progress I guess you mean leveling? I do know that bishops need more xp per level than other speciality classes, but how much is it, roughly speaking? Like for example when my mage is lvl 20, what lvl would a bishop be with the same amount of xp? Is there a table somewhere I can view or can anyone here help me?
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:48 pm
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

In addition to levelling slower, Bishops will also have a slower time gaining "spell level" abilities. Meaning this, my Bishop is at level 11, and still can not get Level 2 (or 3...I forget which) Alchemy spells, I believe because her Alchemy skill is very low...I've focused her on Divinity and Psionics. She can get level 4 (or maybe 5 now) Divinity.

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:04 pm
vorticone
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My bishop was supposed to be a competent healer, yet a powerful combat caster (like a mage is, not only speaking from nukes though). I wanted him to Heal and Stamina my party, yet to have something to do while the party is fighting and not getting hurt much. In the demo the priest was usually taking a nap during the fights after he prayed in the first combat round and then healed when someone got under 50% hps... Wanted to avoid that, thus picked a bishop...
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:11 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I just bumped another thread that had some good thoughts on this. --someone needs to teach me how to link to another thread-- Anyway, my wisdom (FWIW) is contained in there.

As for your party, try what feels good. I played 6 or 7 different parties to Arnika or Trynton before I took one all the way to the end. That said, I'd trade the rogue for a bard and one of your tanks for a mage.
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:51 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Hey Danicek,

In looking for the proper thread to bump for this, I noticed that this type of question has come up a lot. As our leader, do you think we ought to start a new "party advice" thread and make it sticky?
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:59 pm
vorticone
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Whoa thanks, that was exactly the kind of post I was looking for.

Looks like I have a real nice party though so far without much help, just that I only have one spellcaster (bishop) is maybe a bit too few.

Definately will multiclass a hobbit female bard --> rogue now.

Speaking of the bishop again, what would be the real cons and pros to having a faerie bishop or a elven bishop in my party? I know that the starting stats are very similar and that the faerie has better resists (really this important?) and regens mana much faster, but has lower hps and cannot wear most armor. Would I be better of with a elf or faerie? Or is this irrelevant alltogether? *g*
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:02 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Mostly personal opinion... With the party that you're planning, I'd probably go with the Faerie for two reasons. 1) natural armor class will help with early game survival 2) with only one caster, you're going to need all the mana you can get, so the quick regenerate of the Faerie will be useful.

While we're at it, switching classes generally doesn't work well in Wiz8. The bard/rogue/gadgeteer "group" is the best to do it with, though. The drawback you'll have is that bard instruments have level and skill requirements to play. Levels go as high as 18 and skills as high as 90. With your current plan, you'll miss out on some good instruments. Doesn't mean your plan is wrong- just something to think about.
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:09 pm
vorticone
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmm, I knew about the Music skill issue, but not about the lvl cap at 18... that ruins my plans for having a backstabbing bard early on...

I viewed the instrument list at Jandrall's site... how easy are the instruments to get? Are they bought or dropped (if dropped, random or fixed location/npc)?

The ones I really would love to have is Heal All, Haste and Rest All instruments... Maybe Sleep or Insanity as well since they seem both to be important and powerful spells...

edit: Seems like my bard will have to be at least lvl 11 with the instruments listed above.

[ This Message was edited by: vorticone on 2002-04-11 10:24 ]
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:21 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Couple things-

Perhaps I misspoke. The level 18 thing is a minimum requirement for certain instruments. There are no "caps" to speak of. Might just be word choice on both our parts, but I didn't want to give you misleading info.

The instruments you list are, in fact, the ones I used most. You will probably want at least one that does some damage, though. Oh, and the "Freeze All" one is great, too.

Last, if you WANT a backstabbing bard, by all means, go for it. As has been said many times, there's no wrong answers.

[edit] Oops, forgot to answer one of your questions. Most instruments are placed. They will be laying on the ground or in a chest somewhere and will always be in the same place. You can buy a couple, but they aren't very good.

[ This Message was edited by: dteowner on 2002-04-11 10:42 ]
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:39 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

dteowner
Look here to learn how to link. If you're still confused, then quote this message and look at the code.
Party info click here.

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:17 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next