View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Sunbathing On The Costalotta

Hello there swordswingers

DS has just been released here and I bought it at the weekend. I am very much enjoying it. Also I upgraded to a Geforce 4 graphics card, so I am able to enjoy all the graphical wizardry and still have a cracking frame rate.

Tell me though. I have three members in my party now (not including the mule) and the first two that joined me had reasons of thier own for wanting to come along. But in the first town I have come to, I had the oppotunity to have an additional Archer and a Mage join my team. At least I would have had the opportunity, if they did not want to charge for thier services! Am I likely to meet any more "We want to fight with you for honour alone" types? Or is it all mercenaries from here on in?

Also.... When do I get a proper sword? I managed to ditch the pitchfolks in exchange for maces and axes and indeed have just completed a quest to retreave an "Axe of Hurtiness" or some such from a "North Tower" which is lovely. But I have yet to see any kind of sword.

Anybody clue the Badger in?

Thanks All

Badger
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:30 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hello Badger,

I also enjoy graphics wizardry with only GForce 2GTS (but still good enough).

Most (if not all) hireable NPC you will meet will have reasons to join you, but they will still require money (and amount will grow adn grow and grow).

Weapons are constantly improving as you go forward. I do not know where you will find your first "king sword" and I also do not know what is "king sword" for you .
Interesting is that very powerful swords later in game doesnt look kingly, they are small with nice magical aura.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:35 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

DO'H It's all about money these days! I don't know. These young adventurers. No when I was a lad, we did it for King and Country. We did it for the love of our liege lord, and whatever treasure we got to lay our hands on was a bonus! In my day we........... (exit sad bastard mode)

Ok, so maybe I shoulds have paid up when I had the chance. I had enough treasure to afford one of the two of them. I'd like to end up with a party of Two Melee guys, three Archers, One of each kind of Spellcaster and the Packmule, eventually. But at this rate I wonder if I'l have the resources. After all, a man needs to buy armour as well.

While I have you Danicek.... I was looking through some of the old post in this forum, to see if there was anything interesting. Well, I found a post where you activeluy encourage someone to email you direct and call you a retard! I wondered, is this some strange fetish that you have? Would you like any of the rest of us to email you with insulting remarks? If so.... are there any particular ones that you especially like? Or should we just stick to mainstream insults? Pahaps you should post a guide?

Badger
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:00 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Badger
DO'H It's all about money these days! I don't know. These young adventurers. No when I was a lad, we did it for King and Country. We did it for the love of our liege lord, and whatever treasure we got to lay our hands on was a bonus! In my day we........... (exit sad bastard mode)

Words right from my mouth:D
quote:
Ok, so maybe I shoulds have paid up when I had the chance. I had enough treasure to afford one of the two of them. I'd like to end up with a party of Two Melee guys, three Archers, One of each kind of Spellcaster and the Packmule, eventually. But at this rate I wonder if I'l have the resources. After all, a man needs to buy armour as well.

I think that I build my party simply like this: I hired everyone until I had full. I have:
3. fighters
2. battel mages
1. nature mage
2 archers
quote:
While I have you Danicek.... I was looking through some of the old post in this forum, to see if there was anything interesting. Well, I found a post where you activeluy encourage someone to email you direct and call you a retard! I wondered, is this some strange fetish that you have? Would you like any of the rest of us to email you with insulting remarks? If so.... are there any particular ones that you especially like? Or should we just stick to mainstream insults? Pahaps you should post a guide?

It was user that constantly called every fan of DS retard etc. I stoped him (locked or deleted posts or topics). Then he posted something about me that I am retard because I act agresively when someone called me retard. So I wrote him that if he wants, he can call me retard whole day, but he will not call retards our users.
So if you want to, you can also call me retard via email, but do not use this forum for it
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:10 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I remember the first sword I got in the game was just before the ice caverns. After that you should see various swords frequently.

If you don't mind paying money to hire some people, that party setup you want should be possible, just let me advise you that archers are the hardest to recruit in the game. There are some people later who will join you for free, even VERY good characters. I found, however that I usually would be spending all of my money on the next character, but I would replace that money 10 fold between there and the next town. Between a 100000 gold sword, and a 100000 gold party member, I would usually choose the party member.

-v
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:12 pm

Daniceck, about your group

You didn't choose the pack mule or you get 8 person plus the pack mule ?

It's good knowledge for my group evolution.

Tks,
Fabrizio
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:22 pm

Re: Danicek, about your group

Sorry, mistyped your name, hope you'll however answer
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:23 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I hadnt packmule.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:24 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Vaticide.... 100000!!!!!!! <choke!> One hundr...... what?

I've got 90! Nine zero..count em! Thats all I has in the world and I think boths the bods for hire in the town were just less than that!

Right... I'm going back to the town and get one of them.

100,000????!!!!!!!! S***

Danicek... I will email you shortly as per your request. But I have to think up some good insults first.

Badger
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:30 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I only said 100,000 because I didn't want to scare you... I have more than that, and some mercenaries later will charge more than that.

Unlike Danicek, I found a packmule helpful. You can only have a maximum of 8 characters, including packmules though. I had two mules for a little while, but then went down to one mule.

-v
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:24 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Thanks vaticide

I feel even better now. Well all I can say is that I hope I am going to start coming accross piles of gold bigger than the ones I've seen so far.

I took my time getting to that first town. I criss crossed the path looking for secret paths and stuff. I think I found about 5 caves including one with a big old bear in it. He got stroppy and I had to introduce him to Mr Blunt instrument. (What am I saying... Mr Blunt Instrument introduced himself to everything that moved right from the start of the game. My character would beat the deer unconcious as well if he could. Hell...in moments of inactivity he clubs himself!) Anyway, I'm pretty sure I found all the treasure avaliable to that point. But once I had bought a mule and some studded leather boots and gloves for my team mates, (which was bad planning as they actually can't wear them yet) I only had about 900 gold left. Not that I would give up "Mule" you understand. I decided to call him "Mule" to avoid confusion.

Badger.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:57 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I was unable to hire minions at all the opportunities that presented themselves, but there are ample hirelings/witless followers later in the game if you can't scrape up the cash for the current ones. If you call your packmule 'mule' if you hire another, what will you call it?

-v
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:14 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

ASS!
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:24 pm