How is it?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

How is it?

I haven't got a chance to get NWN yet. But I wan't to know how the game is. Is it requiering, can i run it at my 900 Mhz, 256 mb ram, geforce 2 mx comp? I heard it was less requiering than Morrowind.

Is the SP story good, becouse i like SP more than MP. I wonder if there will be a demo...
Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:03 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Your computer is only 100 Mhz slower than mine... otherwise identicle for video card, processor, etc.

Works just fine on mine. Well, except for the multiplayer issues I'm having right now after the last patch. But from the technical standpoint you should have no problems running the game.

And it's a good single player game. However, the focus IS on the multi player. Not to say that the core module isn't good: it is. Really good.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:29 pm
IDPuterGuy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Fun!

The views annoy me some but I'm not sure what would be better. It just feels sorta wrong but is getting better as I use it. Another thing I don't like is that after a trap has been detected if you don't path your character around it carefully you will set it off. I wish that your character would automaticly path around a detected trap. One other thing that is annoying is opening lots of chests, boxes and barels to get mostly a few gold pieces and in general worthless things. Wish they would have limited them and put more stuff in the ones you do open. Feels like a scavenger hunt sometimes. Maybe there could be less creatures to kill, sorta seems like a hack fest. Besides that the game is fun but this is my first rpg since ultima 7 so that might "scew" (bad spelling there) my viewpoint.
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:36 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Less creatures and a closer representation to the experience system of 3e would be nice at times, yes. Problem is you have to balance it for those who want to hack everything up as well as those who want a story.

At full value with the current number of creatures you would fight 230 fights in the game of equal value for your level. I think I fought most of that already by the start of chapter 2.

They set the experience to 1/10 pen and paper gain, and compensated by throwing in 10 times the monsters to keep things 'exciting'.

It is a minor complaint though... and one I fully expected them to do.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:40 am
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well, in order to ship a million copies you have to appeal to the diablo gamer.....You don't think there's a million RPG die hards out there with the system specs to run it
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:55 pm
Black_Lord
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I was so excited about this game before it was released, and now, after I have read a few reviews by players, I am so dissapointed in this game, and I haven't played it. I really can't stand Diablo, maybe if somebody let me borrow NWN, so I could try it first...

"You don't think there's a million RPG die hards out there with the system specs to run it "

Hehe, that is funny, I ran Morrowind on a 350 p2 with an 8 meg rage pro, I dunno if I can run NWN, I assume that I can. I am a die hard fan of rpg's, but after playing consoles and ditching them for my pc, I am thinking that I will go back to consoles since pc games are starting to suck. Big graphic requirements, and no game play, and thrown together storylines.

Sorry guys, but the last decent pc rpg's I have played happens to be Planescape: Torment, and Wizardry 8 (good game play, horrid story IMO).

I have been playing this little game boy advanced title: Ogre battle: The knight of Lodis, it is what a game should be, great game play, and a decent story even for such a small rpg, however for looks, well, it isn't very pretty.

Just a couple of metal slugs I found lying around, maybe I can use them to get a paper...
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:20 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

Well I run NWN on a PIII 600 with 256 RAM and a GeForce2 440 MX (64 RAM) and it runs fine. Not as preaty as it could be but still a good playable game. (Of course if you have an Aureal soundcard be preapared for a lot of tweaking before you play)
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:07 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

NWN is not Diablo. Reviewers that are saying that it is a 3e Diablo clone are doing a diservice to both DIablo and NWN.

NWN has a single hero and a henchman and you fight. That's where the comparison with Diablo ends.

NWN also has: A decent single player story full of dialogue (almost too much at times), an excellent implementation of D&D rules, character avatar customization, multiple camera angles, beautiful 3d rendered environments and excellent character animation.

Diablo has: Rapid click fest high intensity action, a level/skill system based on aquiring sheer power that can be easily formulated for character 'builds'.

You can pause NWN any time you want in single player, and issue commands.

If a reviewer is going to slam it for anything it should be the 'lamented' refrain of it's '3D Baldur's Gate', not it's a Diablo/Dungeon Siege rip off.

With the single player NWN, the only thing new under the sun is the ruleset... and it's done really, really well. Yes the story is standard fare... where the game shines is playing with your friends. Once the Diablo syndrome (log into a server, build your character to be a 'solo' character and race others to 'spawn points' and 'quest loot') wears off and people realize this game only plays like Diablo when you MAKE it play like Diablo (the game engine is more than willing to adapt to your Diablo desires) we'll have something really special on our hands.

Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:45 pm
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
NWN is not Diablo. Reviewers that are saying that it is a 3e Diablo clone are doing a diservice to both DIablo and NWN.

NWN has a single hero and a henchman and you fight. That's where the comparison with Diablo ends.

NWN also has: A decent single player story full of dialogue (almost too much at times), an excellent implementation of D&D rules, character avatar customization, multiple camera angles, beautiful 3d rendered environments and excellent character animation.

Diablo has: Rapid click fest high intensity action, a level/skill system based on aquiring sheer power that can be easily formulated for character 'builds'.

You can pause NWN any time you want in single player, and issue commands.

If a reviewer is going to slam it for anything it should be the 'lamented' refrain of it's '3D Baldur's Gate', not it's a Diablo/Dungeon Siege rip off.

With the single player NWN, the only thing new under the sun is the ruleset... and it's done really, really well. Yes the story is standard fare... where the game shines is playing with your friends. Once the Diablo syndrome (log into a server, build your character to be a 'solo' character and race others to 'spawn points' and 'quest loot') wears off and people realize this game only plays like Diablo when you MAKE it play like Diablo (the game engine is more than willing to adapt to your Diablo desires) we'll have something really special on our hands.

I'm still frothing at the mouth to find a good DM to run a true module. I've been playing online in the RPG area on a server called Azzlin's World (or something like that). The guy has set up a pretty good world, the random encounters are very random and has taken an unsuspecting party by suprise a few times. I've been walking through Troll Country with my L2-L3 party just waiting for the buggers to strike and when they do..yikes.

The DM is on quite often and is always updating his module and working on it...good if you want a persistent world..still quite limited for the time being, but it's new. Oh, and people actually Role Play on it.

But still, I'm waiting to find a group we can meet a few times a week and make a persistent quest/world...A live DM reacting to the strengths and weaknesses of a party would be brilliant. A smart party should not die...and that's the intangible a live DM brings.
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 4:53 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen

I have to agree with EverythingXen here. The new 3E rules are implemented very well. It is not an exact copy of the PnP rules as certain changes have been made to accomidate that fact that this is on a computer (such as the XP change, the toughness feat (this actually makes more sense in the game than in PnP) and the exotic weapon feat to name a few).

Compare this to previous efforts such as PoR2 and you can see that a lot of thought went intot his conversion. It will be interesting to see if the same thought has gone into Icewind Dale 2.

the single players NWN is not a Diablo click fest there is far more chance to interact with the NPC's however like most CRPG's the emphasis is still on combat (it's difficult for a computer to give roleplay xp )
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:46 pm