Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Geforce2 and Gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread

I'm running a 1.2ghz Athlon with 256mb ddr ram, a 7200rpm hard drive, soundblaster live! 5.1, and Geforce2 GTS 64mb. I'm wondering if anyone with a similar system can tell me what settings work the best for them. I am currently running the game in 800x600 with 2x antialiasing, it looks good but the frames get kind of choppy or slow from time to time. It is definetly playable, but it would be nice if it ran a little smoother. Most games cook on my computer, it's weird that this game slows down so much.

BTW, Gothic rocks...I have been having so much fun despite the flaws.

blacklotuz.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:42 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I'd say the thing that will work best to make it run faster is to NOT force the GeForce to antialias. It costs you about 30% of performance. Second would be to add more RAM. Third: defragment your HD and reinstall.

There are regions in Gothic where the game gets choppy for some seconds, that is when the neighbouring region gets loaded. You can feel this effect when you first approach the old camp - just below the bridge near the abandoned mine where you meet your first meatbugs.

What I did when I noticed the first choppiness: turn around completely to force the game to laod as much into RAM as possible.

And BTW - go for 1024x768 - with your video card this shouldn't give you much of a performance hit.

Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:51 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Disable FSAA, max out everything, type 'toggle frame' in the console and increase the resolution as long as your system can handle 20 frames.
With 512 MB RAM I wouldn´t be surprized to see you playing Gothic @1600*1200*32.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 8:25 pm
blacklotuz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ok, turned AA off and put the resolution to 1280x1024x16..looks SO much better now. I would run in 32-bit mode, but it seems to run much slower that way.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 12:23 pm
non-euclid
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

What if FSAA? Antialias? Forgive my ignorance, as I am still learning about video cards (they get more complicated every year!).
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:16 pm
vesselle
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

x

[ This Message was edited by: vesselle on 2002-02-10 17:22 ]
Post Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:06 am

FSAA = full screen anti-aliasing
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 7:01 am

propellerhead
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I just got rid of my system with similar specs like yours. fsaa is disabled in your advanced settings under control panel in display. what fsaa does is at lower resolutions, you get rid of the jaggy edges of the the object you view. but you can do the same at a higher resolution without fsaa. at higher resolution, you really dont need fsaa but at lower resolution you do.

I recommend 1024 by 768 at 16 or 32 bit color if you have 512 ram. I never owned 256. if you are running 256, then go to control panel, display, under direct 3d look for a few settings that talks about fsaa and enable it manually and start off at 2 or 4 by. play with those settings and lets see if you like it. if you hate it, just remember the setting you had it before you modified it and set it back. if you choose quality fsaa, the background of the viewed area will not be blurred but if you choose performance fsaa, the background will look like blurred texture.

choose fsaa if you running 800 by 600 resolution so you can get a smooth silouete.

[ This Message was edited by: propellerhead on 2002-01-12 01:55 ]
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 7:53 am