View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Damage soaking

Does damaging soaking stack?

I finished HotU with three Rings of Ironskin (+5/soak 10 damage). I gave one to each hench person, and wore one myself for awhile. But then I got the Crown of Thorns which (amoung other things) has +5/ soak 10 damage.

Were I to wear the ring AND the Crown, would this yeild +5/soak 20?
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:25 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Nope. Damage reduction never stacks in D&D, though occassionally it overlaps.

IE: A barbarian or dwarven defender with a damage reduction of 6/- wearing that ironskin ring 10/+5 would have:

10 points of reduction against anything leveled at him that was not a +5 or better weapon

6 points vs anything that is a +5 or better weapon.

Only the greatest bonus for any given situation applies.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:13 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Thanks Xen. That's what I figured.

As a side note, why was it that in HotU during my excursion into hell I seemed to take no damage? I had the aforementioned absorbtion helmet on, but it seemed that all the demons taking pot shots at me should've registered SOME damage. The Crown of Thorns also allows a regen of 5HP/round, but with 3 or 4 demons/demon lords taking swipes at my character, you figure the health bar should at least dip a little now and then... but it never dropped enough for me to notice. Any good ideas?
Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:52 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I also had that crown and was up to regeneration 7 or so. I didn't take much damage at all and was never even threatened except in two boss fights the entire chapter. +5 weapons are rare even among powerful demons and regeneration 5 is nuts. If your weapon or alternate weapon had vampiric regeneration in the slightest you're pretty much invulnerable to physical attack.

Only massive magical attacks annoyed me, and not that often as I was wearing a Cloak of Epic Spell Resistance.

If your armor class was in the mid 40s like mine then most creatures cannot even hit you.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:20 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

what you guys talk about, is actually the reason why bioware made a pretty significant engine change to NWN in v1.59 (hordes).

on saving throws and attack rolls, naturally rolled 20's are auto-success and 1 is auto-fail. applies to everyone, PCs, NPCs. does not apply to skill rolls (i.e. Heal Parry spellcraft)

it wasn't this way before 1.59.

this had the unfortunate side-effect of imbalancing certain things created before hordes with the "old" die rolling system. i.e. PW servers, mods, etc.

presumably, the reason they introduced this change was NOT to make it closer to the PnP (which it IS, i grant you) but rather to introduce SOME element of danger when the PC goes through hell or whatever in chapter 3.

me, i wish they had made it a change-able option rather than hardcoding it. *shrug*
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:10 am