Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Observations on the mechanics from my 4th time through....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Observations on the mechanics from my 4th time through....

My latest party has turned the corner and is at level 15-16. I have made a bunch of observations this time through that I want to pass on to others:

1) Saving levels (i.e. don't level characters up past level 5 until you reach Arnika or Mt. Gigas, depnending on what way you go). Definitely makes for an easier trip down the road. But it comes at a price. Since you're fighting easier monsters, you wind up with less XP when you reach your destination. Previously my 6 person party was level 7-8 when they hit Arnika; this time they were only level 6.

2) Training the bard as a tank: I've done it well, if I do say so myself. I did not put a single point into L&T or music, and did those all by training. My L&T is up at 94, and music is 82. My points on level up went to close combat, sword, etc. Out of my 4 sword using tanks (+1 monk), my bard has the best sword skill, better than a lord, samurai & ranger! [Note: 5 man front formation, with the bard on the left flank.] I put my money where my mouth is and proved it can be done. [My second party proved it with the gadgeteer. My third party disproved the idea of the thief as tank.]

3) On training L&T: I used Otter's method, which works great. L&T, as with all skills, takes more work to improve the higher it goes. For me to gain 1% in L&T requires about 1/2 hour real time now (it used to be about 2 minutes per 1%, when I first started timing it, which is when it was already in the 40s). It's not worth it. But just to prove a point to myself, I probably will train the last 6% at some point.

4) When you're trying to unite the Umpani & T'rang the T'rang turning hostile: I think I figured out a new key to avoid it. Don't bring anyone or anything obviously Umpani into Marten's Bluff (other than the Umpani flag and the IUF cards). I made that mistake this time , and promptly got nailed for it. (Fortunately, I know the work around.) Walriblades, muskets & balls, rocket launchers & rockets, a dead Umpani.... I wish I had a save game to test it further with this party, but I don't. I may revert to an old save from an old game to try and figure out some triggers.

5) To get some extra practice for your spell casters, set up 2 portals in safe places in the same area (ex: He'li's and the temple). Bounce back and forth between them for a while, rest, and repeat as desired. The reason I suggest the same area is to avoid loading times.

6) I've made some observations on the auto-retargeting algorithm. It's too complicated for me to try to explain in detail in a short post, but I have figured out how the programmers designed it to work, and why it doesn't so we get frustrated at times. Without going to detail, the algorithm considers in this order: currently equipped weapon (autoswap), the order of the monster groups, distance, and blockage (one monster in front of another & obstacles). While it works, it's not necessarily the smartest way to do it.

7) The EWAXX computer serves 2 purposes. First, you're required to access it before you visit Yamir. Secondly, it is a wealth of information if you ask it the right questions. I never new about this second purpose until now. It provides answers to puzzles that other people here have expressed frustration about solving (How am I supposed to know...?).
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:02 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Re: Observations on the mechanics from my 4th time through..

quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo
3) On training L&T: I used Otter's method, which works great. L&T, as with all skills, takes more work to improve the higher it goes. For me to gain 1% in L&T requires about 1/2 hour real time now (it used to be about 2 minutes per 1%, when I first started timing it, which is when it was already in the 40s). It's not worth it. But just to prove a point to myself, I probably will train the last 6% at some point.
I read somewhere that going from 95 to 100 is practically impossible. I guess the formula they used to determine when skill usage would give increases gets screwy at 95 and causes you to have to invest real world days in training to get them.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:21 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

I didn't know about that. Maybe I won't train the rest of the way then.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:09 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Well, I think we've documented just how sound my memory is-- you might give it a try at least. I think it was Brenda that wrote that, probably at that other board that "died" a year or two ago.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:33 pm
mron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Would anybody detail me how to train L&T? Just crazily click the pins of locked door?
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:29 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Here is a link to a good discussion on raising locks & traps skills:

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=256773&highlight=train+locks+traps#256773
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:15 pm
mron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Eight million thanks.
Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:12 am