Anyone know how to get on vsync?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Anyone know how to get on vsync?

I can't find a command in the console for it, how can the dev's have not put this in, people that have geforce 3 +'s and os' like windows ME can't use the xp refresh fix or nothing so we are stuck with vsync which most games have. Please tell me thers a command for it, i have tried the "max fps =60 and still does it, also vsync is on in my geforce settings. in lot of other games the command is something like "r_swapinterval 1"
Post Wed May 08, 2002 8:43 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

It's rather simple and unelegant

Just put your desktop to the settings you want to run your game with, for example 1024x768x32 with 85Hz. Then start Morrowind - Bingo
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:06 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

i run the game at 800x600 but my desktop is 1024x768, however i have both of these set to 85khz with hztools and it still does it.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:14 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

To my knowledge (and I may be wrong) vsync is only an option for OpenGL games. MW uses the Direct3D API. If you are having problems getting your monitor to specific refresh rates, use Powerstrip.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 1:38 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

umm a lot of people are having this problem also, and i thought that it was opengl engine?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 2:14 am
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

MW depends on Direct3D . It does not support OpenGL. By default, Direct3D games have vsync enabled. To my knowledge, Microsoft has never support an option to disable vsync. So to answer you question, vsync is enabled.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:59 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

vsync is not on , that is why there is screen tearing going on.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:13 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperion
MW depends on Direct3D . It does not support OpenGL. By default, Direct3D games have vsync enabled. To my knowledge, Microsoft has never support an option to disable vsync. So to answer you question, vsync is enabled.

That's the way I understood it too..but it's just from what I've heard/read so I have no facts to back it up..

BTW..what is Vsync? I have never really known..and I also have had a little bit of screen tearing...I think..if thats when you can like see through some polygons and see like white or something..
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:17 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

screen tearing is when you turn a little fast and the screen has a line that goes up/down it, Vsync sync's your monitor to the game so that this does not happen. I beleive those little white lines you are talking about are just terrain tearing? i get those sometimes to.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:20 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Stiler
screen tearing is when you turn a little fast and the screen has a line that goes up/down it, Vsync sync's your monitor to the game so that this does not happen. I beleive those little white lines you are talking about are just terrain tearing? i get those sometimes to.

Ah yes terrain tearing..I guess that's common, doesn't happen often but you usually get a little in all 3d games..about the line that goes up and down it, I've never ran into that..so I have no clue..does chaning your monitors refresh rate have anything to do with that..or does it effect the way games run (Monitors are one thing I don't know jack about)
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:23 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

yes, refresh rate does help this also, but with certain cards, i beleive like geforce 3+ there is a "refresh rate" problem, there is only a fix for winXP which i don't have. So the only option for me is vsync. On the offical forums there were a some post about this but i dunno what happened to them.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:36 am
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Supposedly setting the MaxFPS in your morrowind.ini to equal your refresh rate will reduce the tearing but this is not Vsync.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 5:25 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

yes i did that, it helps some, espically inside, but its still very noticeable and distracting outside.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 5:33 am
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Shifter

Ah yes terrain tearing..I guess that's common, doesn't happen often but you usually get a little in all 3d games..about the line that goes up and down it, I've never ran into that..so I have no clue..does chaning your monitors refresh rate have anything to do with that..or does it effect the way games run (Monitors are one thing I don't know jack about)

With Vsync enabled, your Maximum FPS is artificially clipped at the monitors refresh rate. Your card will wait until the you monitor has finished drawing before sending the next frame. With Vsync disabled, your card will send each successive scene regardless of what you monitor is doing. This can lead to tearing but can improve performance.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 5:37 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperion

With Vsync enabled, your Maximum FPS is artificially clipped at the monitors refresh rate. Your card will wait until the you monitor has finished drawing before sending the next frame. With Vsync disabled, your card will send each successive scene regardless of what you monitor is doing. This can lead to tearing but can improve performance.

Ah wonderful explanation. I always though vsync had to do with running old games on new computers..you know to slow them down..lol im stupid

Thanks for the info.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 5:45 am