Members
Usergroups
GameSpy Review =D
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

GameSpy have finally reviewed Gothic

http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/january02/gothic/

Like everyone else, GameSpy didnt like the controls, otherwise its a fair review.

Design 85%
pros: Very good plot; NPC interaction is good; huge game with plenty of quests and places to explore.
cons: Controls are cumbersome; combat is mundane in early stages.

Tehnical 80%
pros: Graphics are good; good character models and overall appearance.
cons: Framerate suffers on slower machines even though specs are well below most current PCs.

Best Regards
JemyM

Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 10:26 am

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Yes, itīs a fair review.
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:25 pm
BSC14
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

85's not bad but I think it's better than that. From what I have played and I am not very far in this game yet but I would give it 90% out of 100%.
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:32 pm
Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:34 pm
Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

"Controls are cumbersome"
what??? I love the controls of Gothic!
It is so simple and logical after you read how it works!

"combat is mundane in early stages"
isnt this realistic/logical ?
Of course it is hard to fight 1 or 2 scavenger at once, but that is why you need armor, strenght, better weapons.....
BTW: it is NOT necessary to fight any creature at the beginning!!

Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:39 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-01-24 08:39, Xandrius wrote:
"Controls are cumbersome"
what??? I love the controls of Gothic!
It is so simple and logical after you read how it works!

"combat is mundane in early stages"
isnt this realistic/logical ?
Of course it is hard to fight 1 or 2 scavenger at once, but that is why you need armor, strenght, better weapons.....
BTW: it is NOT necessary to fight any creature at the beginning!!

So we can make a law: everyone who wants to make a rewieve, must at least 2 times finish the game
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:45 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I also loved Gothic's control scheme. I guess these reviewers must be going by this philosophy:

"It's not exactly like a 3D shooter? BAD BAD BAD! Where's my AK-47 anyway? Just because it's medieval times doesn't mean I can't get my AK-47!"

If you have ANY patience at all, you can learn Gothic's controls in ten minutes. I think these reviewer guys just can't enjoy a game that doesn't have things blowing up in their face from start to finish.
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:49 pm
pakaraatzi
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I think iam gonna barf if another reviewer complains about the controls. They were the best ever, so easy once u learned them, and very practical.

I hope they keep them for Gothic 2, but with all the complaints I doubt they will.

People these days...

Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 3:38 pm
NecroDancer
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I too loved the controls. It was so simple. many games have you use every button on the keyboard. This was extremely easy to learn.
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:13 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Well, Gamespy is a very fair reviewer. I trust their reviews far more than ign (d00dz)
Everyone says the same thing: Controls.
I guess when I look back at the game, because the OVERALL game is so top notch, and cause I just liked the whole feel of the environment...I just wouldnt *allow* the controls to be a factor, I just MADE myself learn/accept them.
Its like saying "I dont want this Ferrari because the gear shift is on the Steering wheel and not by my seat"
It could also be that everyone is just spoiled on the setup halflife made famous (W,A,S,D) to this day I set up ALL my games like that. Or maybe they were expecting a lot of the inventory control to be dont through mouse-clicking *shrugs*
Well, I dont think any RPG will have problem with controls. RPGs always tend to have different setups from each other.
Controls and System resources are always 2 same things that seem to show up in cons.
Bah, buy a better machine and re-set your movement keys...problems solved
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:38 pm
MightyDeer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I like the control of Gothic too. It is not perfect but it is soooo simple.

When your hands are on the keyboard all the time, that gives you a feeling of you are really playing the game. The last time I feel that was back in the time of the DOOM1.
The duel is really depends on the contorl not only a logical calculation of Str and HP.

I want all 3D ACTION game (shooter or RPG) have a control as simpple as the Gothic does.

Mouse is very good, but please leave it for RTS or 2D games.
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:55 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

At first, I felt them a bit cumbersome... However, they can be learned.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Fri Jan 25, 2002 2:36 am
Sorencera
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I guess I was lucky as far as the controls are concerned. Did'nt get the game until Christmas, and by then I'd read so bloody many posts complaining about the awful control scheme that I laughed at their simplicity when I actually began playing.

IMHO, the controls in Gothic just right. The best way I can describe them are as feeling more "tight" than most other games. You feel like you're really interacting with your character; it takes some effort but is very rewarding. Wish I could sit on my backside all day and summarize the PC games I play with the rampant cynicism some of these reviewers seem to possess.
Post Fri Jan 25, 2002 2:52 am
Vorpal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yup have to agree the controls in gothic are incrediable very good as i just stated in another thread.some people just cant cope with anything thats different.it took me like 2 seconds to learn these controls.and they better not mess with them in gothic 2 or they will have to hear me bitching day in and day out : P
Post Sat Jan 26, 2002 5:01 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

The controls were really good i think i learned them in 5 min and all was clear how to walk talk move and pick up items
Post Sat Jan 26, 2002 9:23 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next