Warning: newbie questions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Warning: newbie questions

Okay. I just started playing this game. The learning curve seems high and overwelming. I have spent several hours just to figure out the controls, names, places, history, etc...I skimmed thru a few game faq's already.

I have installed everything that came with the bundle including the 2 expansions. Are there are plugins or mods that I really need to enhance my gaming experience? where I do get those? I know morrowindfiles is one place, but that website is inaccessible right now.

Is it generally a good idea to talk to every NPCs out there? Gosh, there are so freaking many of them.

Is it a good idea to take every junk there is? There are lots and lots of objects in this game. In the place you got of jail, there are stuff like silverware, bucket, pitcher, plates, and many stuff.

I am normally a mage type of person. Can someone please tell me what primary and secondary skills to have? The game faqs have recommendations, but I just want someone to tell me what to do. Is thieving skill important for a mage?

Do I pick a guild to join first or I can join all of them?

I found a ring of healing that has 20 charges. How do I use it?

Thanks a lot.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 5:33 am
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re: Warning: newbie questions

quote:
Originally posted by Joeman
Okay. I just started playing this game. The learning curve seems high and overwelming. I have spent several hours just to figure out the controls, names, places, history, etc...I skimmed thru a few game faq's already.

I have installed everything that came with the bundle including the 2 expansions. Are there are plugins or mods that I really need to enhance my gaming experience? where I do get those? I know morrowindfiles is one place, but that website is inaccessible right now.

The best advice I can give you if you're feeling overwelming is to read the manual. Morrowind is one of the few games that's been released in the last few years were the manual is actually detailed.

The best place to find MODs would be on the offical fourms. Since this is your first time playing the game tho I wouldn't recommend running any MODs just yet - well actually cosmetic MODs are always good to use. I personally don't start a new game without running Windowlights, MW Visial Pack, and Better Heads replacer. Sorry, but I don't have the URLs with me, so just look for them on the offical fourms.

quote:
Is it generally a good idea to talk to every NPCs out there? Gosh, there are so freaking many of them.

Yes, and no. After playing the game for a few hours you'll quickly be able to tell the difference between the NPCs that will give you quests and the NPCs that will just tell you the same old crap. Rumors, Secret, Advice, and Morrowind History are the only topics I click on anymore for random NPCs.

quote:
Is it a good idea to take every junk there is? There are lots and lots of objects in this game. In the place you got of jail, there are stuff like silverware, bucket, pitcher, plates, and many stuff.

That all depends on your play style. I only take what I can use and leave the rest behind since money is never a problem in this game.

quote:
I am normally a mage type of person. Can someone please tell me what primary and secondary skills to have? The game faqs have recommendations, but I just want someone to tell me what to do. Is thieving skill important for a mage?

It all depends on what type of mage you want to play. Just read about the skills in your manual to help you decide.

quote:
Do I pick a guild to join first or I can join all of them?

To make a long winded rely short; Yes you can join all the guilds, but some guilds hate each other so juggling between them can be hard, unless you know what you're doing. The Great Houses are different from guilds. You'll only be able to join one of them.

quote:
I found a ring of healing that has 20 charges. How do I use it?

Just like you'd use a spell. Read your manual. It explains how to use magic.

quote:
Thanks a lot.

No problem.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 6:39 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I got some questions. I need help.

Are there any good ways to increase luck and what is it for? The manuel is vague as it can be with the explainations. It seems like I can only increase by one per level.

I choose unarmoured as a skill since I am a mage. I wear a robe instead of an armour. Am I screwed?

I choose long sword for skill instead of staff, which is traditionally what a mage uses. Again, am I screwed?

In order to get maximum modifier, do I choose skills that focus on just 2 or 3 attributes or I choose skills that cover all attributes. It seems to me that it would make more sense to focus on just a few, but a faq I read said it's better to have variety.

Thanks.
Post Tue May 04, 2004 10:44 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Luck are not that useful. Yo'll start to become superman after level 20, who need luck?.

Unarmored is rather crappy skill, however if you download Dodging mode by Horatio at TheLys, you'll get protection as good as you wearing other armors.

Not screwed as long as your major skills including long sword, with at least acceptable strength level.

You can get max modifier (x5) if you keep training in same skill e.g medium armor (to full 10 points) will push up your edurance (x5) when level up character. You need to put medium armor skill in major though, not in misc. category.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 5:46 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
Unarmored is rather crappy skill, however if you download Dodging mode by Horatio at TheLys, you'll get protection as good as you wearing other armors.

Can you find any robes in this game that can give you decent protection?

I can wear common, extravagent, or exquisite clothings. What's the difference other than they cost different?
Post Wed May 05, 2004 8:07 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

I can wear common, extravagent, or exquisite clothings. What's the difference other than they cost different?

I think there is no difference at all.
I though it will make people to talk with me in more high tone.
Probably the tone of different people differes, but I do not know if it really depends on your clothes.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 11:15 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Remus

Can you find any robes in this game that can give you decent protection?

If i remember correctly robe didn't provides any armor proctection, only the light, medium and heavy armors. That is because the game designer didn't expect the mage engage in heavy melee combat except throwing fireball & such.

However since the game also quite open ended in character development, you still can develop a mages that are very good in melee combat. My Breton character naturally only good in magic but still i made her both good in magic and melee combat. At level 33, most of her attributes achieved or near 100, longsword skill at 96 with other major skills (unarmored, Restoration, Conjuration, Block)_ between 60-90.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 2:32 pm