Usergroups
Non-multiplayer value?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

As usual my first foray into the game is with a fighter at least until I get the hang of the interface. So far, I'm really enjoying myself - the game plays as smoothly as DQ, and the graphics are great.

I think this game is well worth the money for single player just because I know it will have major replay value. I paid over $100 Cdn for both BG 2 and TOB, and I figure in the end the game cost me pennies an hour, given the number of times I played it (and still probably will). SO yes, by all means if you like the genre and enjoyed BG you'll probably love the single player version of the game.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:23 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I started playing last night ... at last ... and spent a very enjoyable 4 hrs or so single player. I agree with something I read else where in this forum, it is an amazing implemetation of 3Ed rules I am playing an elven ranger, and despite the armor limitations, he seems quite survivable ... although I did make a mistake in not hiring a hench person when I had the cash.

I am running an a P3 450 and it can be very, very slow. I am not sure multi player is an option for me, even with video set at the lowest level of detail there are some *serious* lags - especially when in a conversation with other things going on in the "potentially viewable area".
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:00 pm
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
even with video set at the lowest level of detail there are some *serious* lags - especially when in a conversation with other things going on in the "potentially viewable area".

Try to switch to OpenGL, it will make a difference.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:14 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Beo
quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
even with video set at the lowest level of detail there are some *serious* lags - especially when in a conversation with other things going on in the "potentially viewable area".

Try to switch to OpenGL, it will make a difference.

How do I do this? Where is the option located? And what does it mean as far as presentation is concerned?

PS - Thanks in advance for the advice...I can not try this until I get home.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:23 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

There is no "OpenGL" option. The game always runs in OpenGL...

Someone was out in LaLa Land for a moment
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:27 pm
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

My bad , got misleaded by the manual. Sorry.

@Lintra
Anyway, what version of OpenGL are you running? You can find the info in nwn.ini.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:25 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Beo

@Lintra
Anyway, what version of OpenGL are you running? You can find the info in nwn.ini.

Off hand I don't know ... but I will attempt to find out, and let you know
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:29 pm
IDPuterGuy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Computer performance

If your running Win2K try running the game with above normal priority. What I would do is launch the game, Cntrl, Alt, Del, to pull up task manager, look for the game in processes, right click, change priority to above normal. It has helped my games play better. You could create a shortcut to do this but what you might be starting would be a launcher for the game that might start another program? I don't have it so I don't know.. If anyone wants to sell a used copy for a big discount.. : )
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:44 am
iloveplywood
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Anybody here loves the single player module in NWN but hates Diable II? If so, why? The games seem very similar to me. If anything, there seems to be less choice in developing a character of a particular class. Sure the combat is a little slower and there is more of an attempt to put a quest wrapper around the monster killing sessions but for some reason the differences don't add up to much of a distinction for me.

By the way, I like Diablo II, but so many fans of the BG series hate it with a passion or claim that it bores them. So I'm curious how the Diablo haters distinguish the games (and I'm sure you'll be able to )
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:45 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by iloveplywood
Anybody here loves the single player module in NWN but hates Diable II? If so, why? The games seem very similar to me. If anything, there seems to be less choice in developing a character of a particular class. Sure the combat is a little slower and there is more of an attempt to put a quest wrapper around the monster killing sessions but for some reason the differences don't add up to much of a distinction for me.

I'm sorry... I didn't hate Diablo II at all. I didn't love it either though. There's only so much clicking I can do... You don'T see much differences? I guess you saw many dialogue paths to take in DII, did you? Maybe my game wasn't installed properly because all mine did was tell me a story and tell me what to do without me having to interact with it a single time.

I'm sorry for being sarcastic, but honestly, NWN is not in the same ballpark as DII. It's not even in the same league... Heck, it's not even the same sport! Yes there is much influence from the diablo series here, I don't deny that. But the role playing element in Diablo is just a very clever illusion. And the character development, although very enjoyable in DII, is nowhere near the liberty afforded by the 3rd edition D&D Rules. Could you give you barbarian some Sorceress abilities if you so wished when you gained a level in DII? No, you couldn't. You can in NWN if you choose to put a level in magic user, even if you're a thief! That,s customization.

I just find it very sad that Diablo is still wrongly called an RPG. It's an Action/Adventure game, with some RPG element with the character advancement ability. Now I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this, so please be gentle Mind you, for argument's sake, I'll repeat it: I did not hate Diablo. I enjoyed Diablo, no more, no less.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:26 pm
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I think what turned me off Diablo was the Multiplayer Mode...Too many people trying too hard to level up...

I didn't mind DII's single player play, but it did get repetitive...Go to this Dungeon, kill everything..Go to that dungeon...kill everything.

At least NWN gives you options, choices, that effect their alignment and such....Comparing them is like comparing an Orange and a Lemon...both are citrus fruit but they differ in so many ways.

Give me an RPG made lately or at all for that matter that doesn't have elements of a Diablo style game in it...I'm willing to bet it's a short list.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:51 pm

Fair enough, but tell me does choosing a different option in the dialog mean I don't have to go the district to find the cure? Does it really affect the game at all? Does my alignment affect the game at all? And Diablo II gave you many different ways to create a character type. As far as multiplayer goes, NWN will hopefully blow Diablo out of the water. I'm just talking about the single player which I still don't see that much of a difference to justify derision(sp??) towards Diablo and adoration towards NWN,
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:02 pm

Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

heck, main quests in most games are like that...there are very few truly open ended experiences out there...And that aspect is pretty much univeral. This is a linear game if you follow the plot. The subplots though tend to take on a different form. You can do a whole lot more with those than any quest in DII....and in the end it dictates the type of path you walk and they way people respond to you...

*shrugs* Not here to knock DII, but they are two different games, DII is an action clickfest, fun fun fun for that type of game. NWN has a bit more to it....

That's just my humble opinion, I'm wrong quite often
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:18 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Beo

@Lintra

@Beo, thanks for your offer of help ... but I think I have found the problem. Below is a dump of NW.ini (the relevent parts):

| nwconfig.ini |
-----------------------------------------

[OS]
OS=Windows 98 v4.10 build 1998
Result=2
Skip=0

[Processor]
Type=Intel Pentium II
Vendor=Intel
NumCPUs=1
Speed=448
Result=0
Skip=0

[RAM]
RAM=128
Result=1
Skip=0

[Video Card]
Type=NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 PRO
VRAM=16 ***I would guess that this is the problem ... darn! ***
Desktop Resolution=1024x768
Desktop Color Depth=16
Result=1
Skip=0

[Open GL]
OpenGL Installed=1
OpenGL Version=1.1.4
Result=2
Skip=0

[Direct X]
DirectX Installed=1
DirectX Version=DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0881)
DirectX Build=4.08.01.0881
Result=2
Skip=0

Given the slow speed (and age) of my machine, I don't think it worthwhile dumping good money in after bad ... but my wife will take some convincing before she will agree to springing for a new machine:lol: Any thoughts on a quick, cheap fix?
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:20 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Grab that card that LP bought. It's dirt cheap from that place that he bought it.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:50 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next