Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The Atronach - interesting side-effects (long)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The Atronach - interesting side-effects (long)

Ah, the Birthsign of The Atronach, a blessing and a curse! As I wanted an interesting twist to my latest character, I decided to be born under The Atronach. I thought I understood the benefits and drawbacks, but as it turns out there were a few things I hadn't realised.

Characters born under the sign of The Atronach have what is known as "Wombburn". They have a permanent "50 point" Spell Absorption (turns incoming spells into magicka) and Fortify Maximum Magicka 2xINT, but are afflicted with Stunted Magicka (the inability to regain magicka normally while sleeping).

It turns out that a "50 point" SA is actually a 50% chance of absorbing a spell - a lot better deal than I had previously thought! The FMM is an additional 2xINT over base, for a total magicka pool of 3xINT. Also, what classes as a "spell"? It turns out that Cast on Strike weapon effects can be absorbed as well! Excellent!

However, what about the drawbacks? Well, I can't find anyone with a good stock of Restore Magicka potions, and I'm too poor and too low level to get ingredients to make my own. However, there's one obvious side-effect that I still hadn't realised...

While raiding Ancestral Tombs I ran into a few nasty creatures that happened to damage my Strength. "No problem," I thought. "There's a shrine over in the corner that can deal with that." 25gp and one Almsivi Restoration later... and I'm still weak. Hrm. Tried again a few more times to no avail, then noticed three things almost simultaenously: (1) my magicka reserves were back up to full, (2) there was a funny twinkly effect accompanying the Restore, and (3) when "catching" the restore in action by entering the menu system and hovering over the magical effect icons, it was clear that roughly half of the Restore Attribute effects were 0 point restores.

Ah. Blast. Those must be "spells" as well then...

(I wonder if all spell effects can be absorbed? I have to worry about the effects bestowed upon you as part of the main quest... Surely they would have thought of that, eh?)
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:22 am
gdgrimm
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Let me know what you find out about the special main quest effects. I sure hope that they're still 100% effective.

And I assume that you NEVER absorb your own potion or self targeted spells, correct? Hopefully, the main quest effects are treated that way, too.

BTW, what happens if you equip with stuff with constant effects? Does their spell effects sometimes get absorbed, too?

I'm seriously considering using Atronarch as the sign for my upcoming mage character, so I'm eager to hear how things go.
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:54 pm
Sadness
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You don't absorb potions, but self target spells and/or cast when used enchanted items MIGHT be the easiest way to get your magicka back up if they work(I don't think they do though)
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:26 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, I've never absorbed a potion effect, and self-targetted spells and both item cast-when-used and constant effects seem to work fine.

It looks like you can only absorb (a) spells cast on you, (b) trap effects, (c) shrine/altar effects triggered by you, and (d) weapon effects. Which make me all the more worried about the main quest thingy - it is affected by "DF" casting the spell(s) on you, isn't it? They may talk about a potion, but that's not what actually happens.

Well, whatever. I heartily recommend The Atronach to everyone. It puts an interesting spin on the game, and the drawback is TOTALLY outweighed by the benefits.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:51 am
StarkeRealm
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Main Quest(ion)

The mainquest spells (ie the granting of imunities, by the corprus cure and others) are scripted events, and aren't suposed to be cast on the character (think of the addspell command) instead the game simply adds them to your character directly, this is how you can contract lycantopy in blood moon after you have received diesese imunity from the main quest.
So in answer the main quest effects should still work.

By the way the game considers both diesese and blight to be spells as well, so you should have 50% absorbtion to them as well.

Sorry about my spelling my spellchecker's down (see below)
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:42 pm